johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
all, if I buy a second hand sky + box from ebay, can I use it....

At the moment I have a standard grundig digibox, and a £20 freesat card.. all I want is a sky + box instead, to record onto..

I get the feeling the record option will be disabled... any thoughts?

I do have a phone line in the van, :ROFLMAO: can use it in the box at the beginning or when I am back on the site....

John

eidt. I am not asking about twin LNB's / quads etc.. just the farct that sky will ask me to ring a number when I try to record...

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
I used to subscribe to Sky+ and had a twin LNB dish.

Last year I cancelled the '+' side of the package, keeping just the basic sky package.
I still have the record facility but the digibox is unable to change channels automatically so I need to make sure that I leave the box on the correct channel for timer recording.

I've used the second LNB to drive my freesat receiver.

In theory the '+' digibox is just a hard drive recorder so it should work with a freesat card.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
If you want to use the record facility on a sky+ box then you need to subscribe to sky.
You can use a sky+ box with a freesat card but will not be able to record unless you have a sky subcription card (even the basic package). You do not have to ring a number or be plugged into the telephone line to use this facility.
If you only have one line in from the dish then obviously you will only be able to record the channel that you are watching or the one the box has been left on if you go out.
( I know this because we have just been through all this with our house in Spain!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
If you want to use the record facility on a sky+ box then you need to subscribe to sky.
You can use a sky+ box with a freesat card but will not be able to record unless you have a sky subcription card (even the basic package). You do not have to ring a number or be plugged into the telephone line to use this facility.
If you only have one line in from the dish then obviously you will only be able to record the channel that you are watching or the one the box has been left on if you go out.
( I know this because we have just been through all this with our house in Spain!)

Of course, silly me :Doh: I forgot that the Sky+ ox uses the Sky EPG to set the record command:Blush:

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
thanks both ::bigsmile::cry:

I really didnt think being able to record, would cost me anything :Blush:

i did get a '4 months free' offer in the door the other day.. so may subscribe with that for now....

I will change the HD in the box too, and load it up with things to watch whilst away...

:ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We have cancelled sky + and now have no subscription Not only can we NOT record
anything ,but we cant even play back what was on it:Doh:
Scumbags:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
hi
yes you do need to pay sky something per month for the ability to use the record and playback functions on a ksy+ box. you can either use your freesatfromsky card just pay £10 per month or upgrade to a subscription package - i think thye start from 16 per month...better value to go for the sub rather than the fsfs+10.

you can operate the s+ with just one cable.
generally if you are receording a channel you are watching then the box will use input one.

if you want to record a "future" programme, then the box uses input 2.
but if you do a manula record of any channels for 5 mins before and 5 mins bafter the start and end of the programme you wnt, the sky box will reocrd just 10 minutes of any channel on input2, and use input 1 to record the programme you actually want to. it may not work all the time but is the only way.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back