Roof Vent Fan (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I`ve been having a poke around the Hymer getting to know things and what they do and today I took a look at the ceiling vent fan in the kitchen area.
It seems to work either blowing in or extracting depending on which way the switch is set and the roof vent is motorised.
However when I`d cleaned the fly screens and fan blade the roof vent would not close.
I removed the motor which is attached to a gear arrangement and it`s working but only seems to want to open the vent and not close it. I closed the vent manually, reassembled it and the motor opened it again when switched on !
Does anyone know what should activate it to close or if it`s kerput a source for replacement motors ?
It`s not overly important, in fact I doubt I`ll ever use it but I do like things to work.
Cheers,
IMG_20150516_165810.jpg
IMG_20150516_165620.jpg

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Hope you can get it working as these are great fans. Ours has the manual gearing so cannot help with yours. However have you tried switching the thermostat to hot as that gets the fan in ours to stop

Kath

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Surprised you say you don't use it. Don't you cook in the MH? A fan is very useful for removing cooking smells and in cold weather will reduce condensation by drawing away the steam from pans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Surprised you say you don't use it. Don't you cook in the MH? A fan is very useful for removing cooking smells and in cold weather will reduce condensation by drawing away the steam from pans.
Agree brilliant bit of kit, also when you come back to a hot van great for cooling it down in minutes, wouldn't be without it, worth every cent of the €450 it cost as an extra. Yes it is a bit noisy but you can't shift air in reasonable volumes without noise can't blame the fan for that.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ralph has fitted one to Pug. There's a manual twist knob on ours too. To make the lid come down. It also closes automatically , if it rains. We noticed , if you open a window in the back , turn the fan on. It really pulls the air through the window. Very powerful. He's put ours behind the cab seats in the kitchen area. That way all the cooking smells will be sucked out. The loos down that end too. So if the sog doesn't do its job the fan will !

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have 2 fully auto ones on my RV and have specified them on the new Flair. They are great and have lifetime warranty. Unfortunatly the company has been taken over and some US forum posters have commented on their being some issue on thier level of warranty. However if you have a failed part I would call Fantastic in the US and see what they say. They may not want to stump up the UK carriage, but you can only see. And as another poster has acknowledged there is a UK dealer, however my discussion with him was not too rewarding as he seems to buy in a container load once a year. But still worth a call.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks guys for all the useful replies. I`ve only had the Hymer for a few weeks and not done much cooking in it yet, nor have we experienced any hot weather :(
In view of most rating it as a useful fan, I`ll do my best to get it working properly and try and use it when Summer arrives (y)
Thanks again

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
However have you tried switching the thermostat to hot as that gets the fan in ours to stop

Kath[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice, btw what does the thermostat actually do ? there doesn`t seem to be any heating element but it must control something

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The thermostat will bring the fan into action when the internal temperature in the avn is higher than that set on the thermostat. Have a read through the descriptions on the web site I linked to in my earlier post above.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
As Jean Luc says the thermostat relates to the temperature inside the mh. We have found the fans very useful as really does suck the air out. The one in the shower area great for keeping condensation at a minimum when you are using the shower.

Kath

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Ah yes, turned the thermostat and it closed (y)

It seems like quite a useful function, to be able to set it so if the van gets hot it will open and blow out all the hot air then close again when cooler or it rains !
I think I will be able to use that when we get some summer weather.
Thanks again for all the useful posts:)

Sep 9, 2011
Worcester
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I removed mine and put a rooflight in because it made the kitchen much lighter its up for sale in classified

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Ah yes, turned the thermostat and it closed (y)

It seems like quite a useful function, to be able to set it so if the van gets hot it will open and blow out all the hot air then close again when cooler or it rains !
I think I will be able to use that when we get some summer weather.
Thanks again for all the useful posts:)
We use ours as alternates to AC, set it extracting on a thermostat setting, open windows on cool side of MH and it creates a cooling breeze.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back