Free Member
May 14, 2015
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
toyota lightace
Exp
im a newbie
morning/afternoon happy campers......would love to visit Appleby horse fair.....don't seem to be able to get booked in anywhere.......any ideas would be welcome.......don't need elec hookup..etc.....just somewhere safe to get head down for night......... many thanks dappleduck

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
I would not go near the place! In my area we know every year as the "Travellers" make their way north past us. Many camp (and leave their sh*t behind) and we can measure their progress by crimes. Police of course don't want to harm their Human Rights so I have never seen a prosecution completed. Just too many J Smiths to handle! Before anybody starts,I am sure many are a great addition to the Human Race. I just haven't met them yet.
Keep well clear is my advice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I wouldn't stay anywhere near. We're in Leyland approx 50 miles or so away and always very cautious when the fair is on as the undesirables stop off on the way. One year the place we keep our horse was broken into at night, they came across 3 fields to get to it with wheelbarrows and broke into 45 tack rooms clearing everything out that was sellable! A massive insurance claim! We all clear out now and keep everything at home when the fair is on, won't risk it.

If you want to visit I'd stay further away and travel in for the day.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
morning/afternoon happy campers......would love to visit Appleby horse fair.....don't seem to be able to get booked in anywhere.......any ideas would be welcome.......don't need elec hookup..etc.....just somewhere safe to get head down for night......... many thanks dappleduck
Here's the Town Council site about the fair. If you look at the FAQ link it gives the telephone numbers for 3 paid for coach and minibus parking sites, one of them is in the grounds of the historic Appleby Grammar School.

Live dangerously and get the most out of life.

Broken Link Removed

Dick

Last edited:

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
If you really want to stop there, Appleby Golf course is a brilliant sport, in the middle of a very rustic and wild golf course, water, waste disposal etc. pay the grand sum of £5 at the house at the entrance to the lane.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
the council provide them with toilets standpipes skips for rubbish you should see the mess they make all across the moors ,you want to keep well away they would steal the milk out of your tea.
Oh and having a horse running like a mad thing straight at you down a narrow lane followed by Itinerants when your driving your van is not much fun either

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Whilst I agree with the sentiments about not staying in the area in my MH I do enjoy a day visit. The atmosphere is lively and watching the ponies being washed in the river is a unique sight. Have been a couple of times but wouldn't want to stay over.

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Hubby is from Appleby and we've holidayed there all our married lives. We stay every couple of years for the fair and enjoy it all but not in our van. Many ( most) sites close over the fair and I would not be comfortable parking up unless well tucked away. I suggest visiting by day on the train or by car unless you have a motorbike or other transport with you.if so there are c.l.s etc away from the immediate area that may be open. Trouble with many known wild camping spots is that they are fenced off over that period to deter travellers. But do go its a great spectacle and lots of fun

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I wonder if I could sue the police for racial discrimination if they arrested me for theft and trashing the countryside. Other "races" seem to get away with it.

OP
OP
dappleduck

dappleduck

Free Member
May 14, 2015
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
toyota lightace
Exp
im a newbie
many thanks for all your replies.......however...think ive been given some duff info..........Appleby golf course states the info on staying there is totally wrong they have never allowed camping or motorhomes.........as for suggestion of coach and minibus park at school.......these vehicles would be leaving at end of day...so would be on jack todd after that........that presuming van would be allowed...which I think not as there is only limited space for coaches so they say...........I would still like to go to Appleby fair....sometimes I have to step out of my comfort zone,,,,,,,,,,,,hmmm thanks again to all advice.........dappleduck

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
You may have already seen it but this website gives a lot of info ... Broken Link Removed

I'm not sure but I think we went on the Thursday and there was quite a lot going on including in the river but the drink hadn't been flowing too much so no problems. We had been advised to stay clear Friday - Sunday when many places would be closed and boarded including some of the pubs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back