TomTom Battery Life... (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've had my TT One XL Europe for about 18mths. and the battery is now next to useless.
I've seldom used it without being plugged in and don't need need to use it outside the car but it now loses it's charge if not used for a few days .
This is really frustrating, you plug it in, switch on and it won't boot up, I assume it has lost it's memory, so you have to reset and wait for it to recharge before using .. :Doh:

I Googled this problem and there are several forums discussing it, you can either send it back to TT for a new battery or buy one on-line. Link Removed

Has anyone else experienced this problem or attempted to change the TT battery ?

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I've had my TT One XL Europe for about 18mths. and the battery is now next to useless.
I've seldom used it without being plugged in and don't need need to use it outside the car but it now loses it's charge if not used for a few days .
This is really frustrating, you plug it in, switch on and it won't boot up, I assume it has lost it's memory, so you have to reset and wait for it to recharge before using .. :Doh:

I Googled this problem and there are several forums discussing it, you can either send it back to TT for a new battery or buy one on-line. Link Removed

Has anyone else experienced this problem or attempted to change the TT battery ?

Must be a problem wiyh that model mines TT510 still going strong with no battery problems, maybe poor quality battery or charging problem, think i would just get a new battery, probably cost that much to send it back

Regards

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Hi
We had trouble with our TT charging also, always having to reset it couldnt go anywhere without a supply of paper clips :ROFLMAO:
I telephoned TT helpline who did a few check things like reset etc, it turned out our charger was faulty, they replaced it with a new one as there was still some warranty left f.o.c and it works a treat now, (the new charger cradle was a slighty better design too)

Just an idea it could be the same fault

champers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
Is it an easy job to change the battery or does it need any soldering?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi
We had trouble with our TT charging also, always having to reset it couldnt go anywhere without a supply of paper clips :ROFLMAO:
I telephoned TT helpline who did a few check things like reset etc, it turned out our charger was faulty, they replaced it with a new one as there was still some warranty left f.o.c and it works a treat now, (the new charger cradle was a slighty better design too)

Just an idea it could be the same fault

Thanks for that ..

I recognise that scenario .. :RollEyes: but I don't have a charger, not supplied with it, it charges directly from the ciggy socket or the lappy usb ..

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Is it an easy job to change the battery or does it need any soldering?

Hi

From what I've read, access to the battery is through the front bezel and it's a soldering job, the replacement battery has pig tails.
Soldering isn't a concern but not so sure about removing the bezel .. or if it's a good idea..

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I have a TomTom Go700. These were amongst the first TomTom brought out on the market and have been around a while now. Quite possibly considered 'old fashioned' or 'outdated'...........but,

it is all still fully working.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Not sure if this is your model ;but if it is relacement of the battery is straight forward he only probem is the special allen key tool
I have actually got a set of these special tools, got them from aldi but think they are available at maplins.

Click here

scroll down for fitting images

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I still have the TT Go 300 and going fine.

Amazed yours has gone early.

Maybe it's because your is not active daily when you've been static?

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Oh sorry, with ours it sits in the small cradle whether in the car or house whilst charging, well at least that is what I do :Doh:

Have you checked the warranty time as ours was I think 2yrs (we werent aware that it was that, we thought it was only for 12mths) and we only had about a month to the end of warranty as it turned out, so had a nice surprise not having to fork out for any new part or a new TT

champers

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not sure if this is your model ;but if it is relacement of the battery is straight forward he only probem is the special allen key tool
I have actually got a set of these special tools, got them from aldi but think they are available at maplins.

Click here

scroll down for fitting images

Regards

Thanks for the useful link.. will need to buy the security tools .. :thumb:

I still have the TT Go 300 and going fine.

Amazed yours has gone early.

Maybe it's because your is not active daily when you've been static?

Hi John

Mine is used quite a lot in the toad.. so it hasn't been laying about idle ..

From what I gather this is a common complaint with some TTs .. maybe I'm just unlucky .. :Doh:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Thanks for the useful link.. will need to buy the security tools .:thumb:
Jim

Some suppliers include the tools to do this ;but you will need to google for them, there is no soldering the battery is simply connected by a plug.

Regards

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
damn .. and I just love a good soldering job .. :roflmto:

that's the trouble today.. monkeys can now repair stuff .. :Doh:

I've found the correct battery for TT One XL .. Link Removed

cheers

Iv'e allways been a bit of a sucker when it comes to soldering

Link Removed :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I agree, I have had three TomToms and the batteries give up long before they should. Its the periods of inactivity. Unlike say a phone, they are not constantly discharged and charged. I think as soon as they have been let to stay flat for a while they never recover.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Its the periods of inactivity. Unlike say a phone, they are not constantly discharged and charged. I think as soon as they have been let to stay flat for a while they never recover.

I think you are probably right Jim, mine was fine until I left it languishing in the glove box of the RV for a few weeks before we had the toad, never been right since..

But on the bright side, new battery is only about 8 quid, tool set from Maplin about the same.. and it looks a straight forward job... :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back