LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Now I know this is a beginner's question, but Him Indoors & me disagree on the answer, and neither of us is really computer-literate anyway, so grateful for any help.
Our desktop runs Windows XP (we think) which I know is now defunct & unsupported & has been for about a year.
Him Indoors unhooked it from the internet as he's worried about security and crashes.
My laptop doesn't connect to our printer.
This means anything we've wanted on the desktop, or needed to download & print & email back to sender etc, I've been faffing around with flash drives.
I have paid-for AVG.
Now I know we should probably renew everything but I'm reluctant at this stage as lifestyle changes are afoot so, meanwhile, my beginner's question is this:
If I re-connect the desktop to the internet, with my AVG system, is it safe & secure?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It will be OK for browsing, but don't use it for anything financial.

Reactions: CWH

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Need a bit more info guys.
I'm assuming that you're referring to AVG (made my Grisoft) AVG is just an anti-viral software package and shouldn't affect anything you do. Is it just that AVG appears as your main search engine that you're worried about?

Incidentally, AVG do a FREE version, which I use and which is very good.

As far as printing goes, can't you just buy a new wireless printer? They are very cheap these days. You can get a wireless printer/scanner for around 35 quid. (I'm assuming that your desktop and laptop have wifi connectivity).

Hope I haven't misunderstood your post????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It will be OK for browsing, but don't use it for anything financial.
OK, we can stick to browsing & email, & do the financial stuff on the lappy.
Need a bit more info guys.
I'm assuming that you're referring to AVG (made my Grisoft) AVG is just an anti-viral software package and shouldn't affect anything you do. Is it just that AVG appears as your main search engine that you're worried about?

Incidentally, AVG do a FREE version, which I use and which is very good.

As far as printing goes, can't you just buy a new wireless printer? They are very cheap these days. You can get a wireless printer/scanner for around 35 quid. (I'm assuming that your desktop and laptop have wifi connectivity).

Hope I haven't misunderstood your post????
I have Chrome as the main search engine. (Or is that a browser??? or is that the same thing???)
Him Indoors believes that because Windows is no longer supported, everything on the desktop will be at risk. I think that AVG will protect it.
On my paid-for AVG I have Computer, Web browsing, Identity, Emails and Firewall.

We've been looking at wireless printers and will go down this line soon. Didn't realise they were so cheap though, so thanks for that. Will probably want a very small one that we can use in the m/h. Not sure the desktop does wifi.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
OK, we can stick to browsing & email, & do the financial stuff on the lappy.
Good idea :)

I have Chrome as the main search engine. (Or is that a browser??? or is that the same thing???)
Browser is such as Internet explorer and Mozilla. Search engine is such as Google.

Him Indoors believes that because Windows is no longer supported, everything on the desktop will be at risk. I think that AVG will protect it.
Yes, XP is not supported anymore. But the missus has XP on her lappy and she does financial stuff on there. But I do keep a very careful eye on things.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We use XP & AVG - XP has been updating even though they said that they wouldn't be more updates. In our opinion as long as you keep your AVG updated you will be sucure. Is this what you were asking?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We use XP & AVG - XP has been updating even though they said that they wouldn't be more updates. In our opinion as long as you keep your AVG updated you will be sucure. Is this what you were asking?
Don't be too complacent. You may have problems that you can't see.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Exactly that, yes; thanks.

Browser is such as Internet explorer and Mozilla. Search engine is such as Google.
Google then is what we use. So how is Google Chrome defined?
financial stuff ... I do keep a very careful eye on things.
Him Indoors is quite obsessive about this for which I am very grateful!
Thanks Yorick, useful information.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As said XP and AVG is fine for non-critical \ sensitive tasks. Some of my kit still runs XP (but I use Avast Free anti-virus and Zonealram Free firewall) and been fine.

Chrome is a browser written by Google. Other main browsers are Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc, etc, etc........
Google, in it's original sense, is a search engine but the company has expanded into a million and one other web tools, etc.

Why does your laptop not connect to your printer? If it's running XP and is connected by a USB port you should be able to. If it's an old PS2 port (big huge "D" shaped plug with a load of little pins) I then understand.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
As said XP and AVG is fine for non-critical \ sensitive tasks.
This is my main concern, so another vote with a conditional 'yes' is helpful, thank you.

Chrome is a browser written by Google.
OK, I think I understand that, sort of; thanks. (I used to be OK at this stuff back in the day - I was an Amstrad driver!, but the whole thing's just got away from me now...)
Why does your laptop not connect to your printer?
You know, that's such a good question - now that you ask, I think it's just a 'habit' my mind's got into because I use it in a different room... Must check! - OK just looked at the printer, it has a thickish blue cable connected to the CPU & the connector is square into the printer, USB shape into the CPU - is this the one? So this is probably do-able if I move another desk into the room. (BTW the Lappy's running Vista but I don't imagine this makes any difference.) Cheers GN that will make my life a bit easier!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You know, that's such a good question - now that you ask, I think it's just a 'habit' my mind's got into because I use it in a different room... Must check! - OK just looked at the printer, it has a thickish blue cable connected to the CPU & the connector is square into the printer, USB shape into the CPU - is this the one? So this is probably do-able if I move another desk into the room. (BTW the Lappy's running Vista but I don't imagine this makes any difference.) Cheers GN that will make my life a bit easier!

OK whilst Vista was not Microsoft brightest shining example it is still supported by them so is secure (as secure as can be with any access to internet) assuming a decent firewall and anti-virus programme is installed.

By the sounds of it your current printer uses a USB cable and you should be able to connect this to laptop and printer. Once connected you'll have to install the drivers for it but it should do this automatically with Vista. If not give me a shout.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Many thanks GN, and everyone else, for your generous help and expertise.

thanks4that05.gif

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Have re-connected the desktop - AVG updated (already had the licence & running on the laptop) and nothing's blown up so far!! :)(y)
Just tried to run the printer off the laptop - it asked for the disc which I couldn't find, but I uploaded the relevant driver from Epson website but it didn't think this was good enough, so I'll have to keep searching for the disc. :((n)
Unless you have any further thoughts @Gellyneck ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The free version of AVG is just as good as the paid for version without the frills

I have used the free AVG version for years, with regular updates, on win XP and win 7 and even have it on my tablet (android) and mobile phone (android)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Have re-connected the desktop - AVG updated (already had the licence & running on the laptop) and nothing's blown up so far!! :)(y)
Just tried to run the printer off the laptop - it asked for the disc which I couldn't find, but I uploaded the relevant driver from Epson website but it didn't think this was good enough, so I'll have to keep searching for the disc. :((n)
Unless you have any further thoughts @Gellyneck ?
What was the exact message it threw up at you when asking for the disc?
Did you use "Control Panel" to install a new printer?
Let me know and we can see from there where we go.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Connecting the printer to your laptop via a USB cable should upload the drivers to your laptop, from there you should be able to connect via wifi.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Connecting the printer to your laptop via a USB cable should upload the drivers to your laptop, from there you should be able to connect via wifi.
It didn't upload - said it needed the disc, which threw me a bit.
What was the exact message it threw up at you when asking for the disc?
Did you use "Control Panel" to install a new printer?
Let me know and we can see from there where we go.
No I didn't use control panel, just the USB cable.
I'll have another go tomorrow & let you know what it said.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
To install your printer in Vista you need to do the following ( and this is from memory as haven't used a Vista machine for a few years) -
  1. Click the Start button
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. Click Hardware (I think)
  4. Click Printers
  5. Click Add printer which will open The Printer Wizard
  6. Select Add Local Printer
  7. Select Epson and the model from the drop down lists
    1. If your specific model isn't shown you have two options
      1. click Windows Update and it will go and check for an extended list of available drives which will take a few minutes
      2. or you can click Have Disc and browse to the folder where you saved the driver file you downloaded
  8. Next
  9. Follow any further instructions and when done
  10. Click finish
  11. I think it may list an option to print a test page and if it does do that.
  12. A page should print off the printer
Let me know how you get on or if you get stuck.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Let me know how you get on or if you get stuck.
Thank you so much for the clear instructions @Gellyneck . Luckily, Him Indoors found the disc (yippee!) so between the 2 of you I eventually managed to get a print when connected by USB which is a big step in the right direction.
One further question: the printer's so old it pre-dates wifi (well nearly) so I expect it needs to be connected by cable to be able to print - or should it be able to pick up instructions via my BT hub?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thank you so much for the clear instructions @Gellyneck . Luckily, Him Indoors found the disc (yippee!) so between the 2 of you I eventually managed to get a print when connected by USB which is a big step in the right direction.
One further question: the printer's so old it pre-dates wifi (well nearly) so I expect it needs to be connected by cable to be able to print - or should it be able to pick up instructions via my BT hub?

Pleased to hear you're up and running with the printer. Well done that woman.(y)

Never used a BT Hub so ...........

However, I would guess that if you're wanting to network the printer through this, and given it doesn't have a wifi module, you would need to connect it with an Ethernet cable which your printer may, or may not, have.

Ethernet is the industry standard when hard wire connecting a computer, etc to a network \ the internet. Looks a bit like a slightly smaller \ squarer phone plug.

Again, let me know how you get on.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Ethernet cable
Just had a look and the printer doesn't have an ethernet port, so I guess that answers that one! - unless & until I get a new printer which I'm not inclined to right now.
Thank you so much for all your help, you're a star
upload_2015-5-15_20-22-13.png
!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
No probs.
Now the sore bit for you!:eek:
You must ensure the weather from mid \ end June through July is glorious (or else).(y) Failure to comply will be frowned upon.:((n)

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
You must ensure the weather from mid \ end June through July is glorious (or else).
OK, just for you we'll go away for the month, so the weather's BOUND to be fantastic! :D

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
OK, just for you we'll go away for the month, so the weather's BOUND to be fantastic! :D
Your assistance is greatly appreciated but can you leave your brollys just in case.:giggle:

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm guessing you're Cornwall-bound?
We'll probably be heading for N-W Scotland.
Should we just swap mh's?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back