Earth Oven Drying Nicely (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2011
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
re-living the gloryb days of series 2 BC
Just to share - used to think that these were all a bit too 'new earth hippy' but having been forced to use one during our trip to Sierra Nevada to cook chicken and pork just had to have one - can't figure out how to transport it though?

Attachments

• DSCF9606.JPG
    DSCF9606.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCF9608.JPG
    DSCF9608.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 142

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Presumably you could make one in situ as long as you had the right type of clay mixture (fire clay plus other bits?). Moving a large ceramic item like that would be a bloody nightmare.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wardj2010
May 31, 2011
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
vwalan - I do like children, couldn't eat a whole one though!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
we do here in cornwall. hee hee.
i had a mum ask me why i can get the local kids to sit quiet in a row crossed legs with their hands making a pointed slope above their heads .
i said its the tagine game . (morocco cooking . )
last one to stay quiet wins . first one to speak gets cooked in a tagine .
the kids love it .
they also play kneeling down with their hands by their ankles .
thats the roast chicken game .
if i get a broom handle out of the shed they run away . they dont like playing the spit roast game . ha ha .
she said i was cruel and shouldnt tell the kids we will eat them .
strange when my grand kids are here i always have a yard full of kids .
they tell me their parents dont play good games like this .
by the way have had lots of real nice morocan flat bread cooked in ovens like that one

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just to share - used to think that these were all a bit too 'new earth hippy' but having been forced to use one during our trip to Sierra Nevada to cook chicken and pork just had to have one - can't figure out how to transport it though?
Did you mold it over a dome of sand with a fire brick floor? Did the clay not crank as it dried?

I'm interested to hear the details of how you made it.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Presumably you could make one in situ as long as you had the right type of clay mixture (fire clay plus other bits?). Moving a large ceramic item like that would be a bloody nightmare.
All the old places around here usually have one. Mine used to. Most are mad using the clay earth along with straw ,etc; just as my house is built from Adobe bricks.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I built one in my garden about 6 years ago. Cost me about £30 as I used recycled timber from work, fire bricks from old storage heaters and clay from the river behind our house. It cooks a pizza in about 90 seconds and the taste surpasses anything you will have tasted this side of Napoli ! My son has cooked chicken and venison in it and I dried a load of tomatoes from my greenhouse using the stored up heat the day after a pizza party.
There is a book called "Build Your Own Earth Oven" by a guy called Kiko Denzer, available on Amazon for £5.85 which will guide you through the process, well worth a read if you're contemplating one, and as for space, you can make it any size you want to suit your garden.

Attachments

• 20130922_174224[1].jpg
    20130922_174224[1].jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 34
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
They are the classic pizza oven - cook in a few minutes.

I would love one but don't really have the space in our new mini-garden.
you can make them any size you want sume one I know has made one from a coal fire back and a sand stone slab plastered over with fire cement and quarry tiles and on a steel table on casters so he can put in any whar he wants
bill

OP
OP
wardj2010
May 31, 2011
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
jockaneezer has pretty much covered it - could not source SH fire bricks so bought new at £2 each but standard building bricks can be used - I followed Kiko Denzer online info by having inner clay/sand layer with external cobb insulating layer - as mentioned we have a terraced garden so just chose a tier and levelled a 4ft patch - my oven is 24 inch id followed online info for ratios
With the rubbish weather at present drying is slow - I do not want to hurry it too much and risk excessive cracks, although cracking seems to be the norm? - will post when first lighting
Trouble is with all the online stuff, you never know how it really turned out

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back