Semi Flexi Solar Panels Back Fix Mono (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Hi, anyone any experiance with these new type (at least to me) of solar panel?
I was thinking of getting one to put on a PVC because of the weight advantage and fitting it by bonding it directly to the roof with which ever sikaflex is most appropriate.
It will of course only be bonded to the ridges because of the corrugated nature of the roof so there might be a bit of airflow under it where the valleys are.

your thoughts please.
bern

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
A major consideration that I think no one considers with these is
How do you get it off if it goes faulty?

OP
OP
berni109
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Thats just what I thought. No way its coming off with sikaflex all over it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We went to a well known MH/camper bits & bobs supplier yesterday for a couple of worktop hinge/support brackets and whilst there asked about some bits for our flexi solar panel including what to stick it on with, they do their own version of Sikaflex but being an ex-plumber he suggested a good clear silicone sealant instead as a fraction of the cost. Thoughts?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Silicone is not an adhesive
That's my thinking too! It may be okay to stick something to a tile/seal round the edges in a bathroom etc but I don't think I'd trust it on top of a MH/PVC!!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I disagree with Andy as I sell a pure silicon that is classed as a sealant and an adhesive and it works very well, would I use it to fit a solar panel - No way.

OP
OP
berni109
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
OK so we have decided what to stick it down with.
Any idea as to durability? or have this type not been around long enough to know the answer to the question yet.
I suppose as with any panel it either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't then just take the pain and buy another.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
It actually should work better stuck to the ribs (Cooling airflow) and should be easier to remove as well in my humble opinion(y) you do not need to use much Sikaflex to achieve a good bond, however it will be easier to get off if the bead is 2-4mm thick(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
OK so we have decided what to stick it down with.
Any idea as to durability? or have this type not been around long enough to know the answer to the question yet.
I suppose as with any panel it either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't then just take the pain and buy another.

I have two on my Van since last year, that are working well but as for durability we will just have to see:rolleyes:

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
A major consideration that I think no one considers with these is
How do you get it off if it goes faulty?
Very easy!
I needed to move one of mine to make extra room for a additional one I wanted to fit,
I used a metal spatula that you use for sculpture/palette painting,
Sharpen one side and tip, Then all you need to do is slide the palette knife into the bead of sikaflex and slowly rotate using the side of the panel as leverage, to remove my 100W panel took about 10mins, then a equal amount to clean up the surface,

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010

rolly3

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Since 2014
I'm in the same position of wanting to fit solar panels to a PVC and have also considered semi-flexibles.

I spoke to RoadPro in early March about their semi-flexibles, but was told that they'd had reliability problems with them and that they were awaiting delivery of a different type (called 'SunFlex') which they expected to not suffer the same problems. IIRC they hadn't absolutely determined the cause of the problems, but suspected that continual flexing of the panels was causing cracking within individual cells. I don't know if the problems they've seen have been restricted to PVCs (I didn't ask), but I would think that installing on the flat surface of a coachbuilt would probably give the panels a much easier life.

I then spoke to a different person at RoadPro in early April about their new 'SunFlex' panels (Broken Link Removed) but was told that they definitely didn't recommend even these new type be fitted to a PVC.

I still see some definite advantages of semi-flexibles over rigids (much lighter, easy DIY, tidier, less holes in the roof!), but at the end of the day rigid panels are well-tried technology and, for me personally, that's an important consideration.

I'm close to committing to rigids (hopefully this week) - but there's still time to change my mind!

OP
OP
berni109
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Thanks for all of the input.
I think that i am going to risk it and go for the semi flexi panel bonded direct to the roof with sikaflex.
Only time will tell if this is a wise decision.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back