Outside Accommodation For Retreiver (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Free Member
Mar 14, 2015
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca 2001
Exp
We've just had taken our aging (13 yr old) retriever away with us for the first time and she really didn't like it. Pacing up and down in the van all night, keeping us awake, also due to age she needs a nappy but that leaked - not nice in a confined space... And due to arthritic hips had to be lifted in and out of van all the time and stumbled often when unwisely jumping out by herself.

To cut a long story short, dog was stressed out and so was wife.

I've been told that some motorhomers sleep their dogs outside in a small tent . I'm wondering if thats a good idea or not - Has anyone tried this? How do you ensure dog is secure enough ?

D

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
The poor dog was obviously stressed & not happy to be there & it's far too cold to leave a dog in that condition outside at night.
Our old arthritic Dalmatian loves to come with us.
He has to be helped in & out nowadays though thankfully no issues toiletwise (yet) & sleeps in the "garage", it's the warmest place in the van as it's right next to the boiler.
We found he sleeps better/longer when he's warm, though obviously not hot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Maybe best to leave it with family sounds like it's something it's not used to never done do leave your dog out side at home poor thing is 91 years old would you want to be outside at 91
if possible would it not be better to leave it with a friend or family
so sorry for you're troubles with your dog think you need to re assess the situation regarding the dog think I would rather be at home if I was 91 incontinent and arthritic
bill

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Dave F

At the age of 13 your dog is set in her ways and with her health problems IMV it isn't really a good idea to take her with you in the MH. As has been suggested perhaps seeing if someone could look after her for you would be the best bet, alternatively you could try taking her into the MH at home every day for an hour or so, so she gradually gets used to it ... unfortunately though I fear she's a bit too old for that now.

OP
OP
Dave F

Dave F

Free Member
Mar 14, 2015
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca 2001
Exp
OK no camping out for doggie then, though obviously I'm talking about warmer summer months, not putting her outside in this weather, and just wondered whether other dogs did this as I'd been told it does happen,.. . Pity 'cos we'd hoped bring her in the motorhome was the answer to the fact she gets stressed when left with others or in kennels and she'd be able to join us in the van.

An inside Pen/crate big enough for a labrador is far too big for our motorhome!!

I think Minxy girl is onto something - this was her first time, so regular visits/outings in the van will help, I'm sure.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
:swear2:
OK no camping out for doggie then, though obviously I'm talking about warmer summer months, not putting her outside in this weather, and just wondered whether other dogs did this as I'd been told it does happen,.. . Pity 'cos we'd hoped bring her in the motorhome was the answer to the fact she gets stressed when left with others or in kennels and she'd be able to join us in the van.

An inside Pen/crate big enough for a labrador is far too big for our motorhome!!

I think Minxy girl is onto something - this was her first time, so regular visits/outings in the van will help, I'm sure.
like minx says just start slowly she might get used to it but at 91 she's a bit set in her ways.
You know what a 91 year old person is like muttering away saying bloody young uns these days with there new fangled ideas .
who do they think they are bringing me out in this contraption and if they thing I am sleeping in that bloody cloth kennel they got another thing f:swear2: coming I will piss on his seat if it's the last thing I do
bill

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
The solution is daily visits to the van if possible. Feed her in motorhome and chill out for some time. Start short and increase the length in the van. Build up to an overnight at home. Waterproof membrane under her bed in case of accidents. With a little effort you will be able to take a relaxed dog.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
You could try getting her used to the motorhome but in small steps. Start with just being in the van for a few minutes with her giving her lots of fuss and attention. Gradually extend the durations of time spent in the motorhome. If and when she gets to a point where she will settle in the motorhome try sleeping in it with her but on the drive at home so if it all goes badly you can revert back to the house.

D.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
My dog is 13 this year and loves the MH, just saying the word gets him excited as he knows it usually means a trip to a beach and new adventures. Perhaps you could try taking the dog on a short journey to the beach, park etc then it might settle quicker.

We will need to purchase a dog ramp soon, maybe you could think along those lines too to help aid your dogs mobility in and out the MH.
Good luck , hope it settles in.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Dogs love routine and the familiar. They also pick up stress and concern. Definitely daily trips to the MH, make yourself a cuppa and sit down and relax rather than hover anxiously around her.
We did use an outside tent for our dogs in the summer but we had to put up with a lot of grumbling and whimpering until they got used to it. Given her age it might be a a harsh to expect her to learn to sleep outside.
Good luck!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Some brilliant ideas there but only one thin I don't think this dog as done much traveling any way think abut when your 91 arthritic and in continent would you want to go to the sea side or the park.
the poor old sole just want's to stay to her own ways have her usual sleeping place the bit of favourite garden spot
her diner in her usual boil.
and if she feels like it a walk round her territory and maybe a bark Frome time to time at the post man
Set in her ways doubt you can change her
Good luck in trying but with all those problems t could make motor homing a more stressful experience for the poor dog and its companions
bill

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hiya and welcome
We live in wrenthorpe , Wakefield.
I'm afraid I'm with Bill on this one too. Especially with your large dog being incontinent , and having to wear a nappy.
Buster our border terrier, has never enjoyed the journey. Pacing up and down. But in his fabric crate, he lays and pants till we get there. He loves the fact he's going, just not the journey.
We are hoping the PVC will be less squeaky and rattley.
He travels well in a car, so we think that's the problem.
Our old dog Ruby was 16 and a half when she was put to sleep , a couple of months ago. She loved traveling in the mh. She had doggy dementia , couldn't walk far, kept having mad fits of running about energy , then collapsing . Walking into rooms generally wandering about all day , sniffing the floor, or just sleeping.
We have to make decisions we don't like sometimes. If she had been incontinent as well, our decision would have been easier.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Some brilliant ideas there but only one thin I don't think this dog as done much traveling any way think abut when your 91 arthritic and in continent would you want to go to the sea side or the park.
the poor old sole just want's to stay to her own ways have her usual sleeping place the bit of favourite garden spot
her diner in her usual boil.
and if she feels like it a walk round her territory and maybe a bark Frome time to time at the post man
Set in her ways doubt you can change her
Good luck in trying but with all those problems t could make motor homing a more stressful experience for the poor dog and its companions
bill
You've just about perfectly described my Mother! :LOL:

OP
OP
Dave F

Dave F

Free Member
Mar 14, 2015
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca 2001
Exp
I absolutely agree with everyone about the end times for our dog.

We've been watching her get older and know its just months away till her quality of life is not good, and when that time comes, we will do the right thing. But at home she has a good quality of life and is not stressed out at all, and full of fun.

Obviously though the motorhome trip stressed her out and as I said to my wife, if she was like that at home she'd be off to the vet tomorrow.

Trouble is, its OUR quality of life that's being affected, not hers at the moment. It seems a bit selfish to have a dog put down just so we can go on holiday and even if we did, I don't think we'd enjoy our trips, knowing what we had to do to achieve it!.

I guess were looking forward in a strange way to her quality of life at HOME getting bad, then problem solved :(

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
I understand how your feeling Dave, we've just come back from 4 days away, our 13 year old lab loves the motorhome but she can't walk far as she has arthritis and cruciate ligament damage.
The first sites dog walk wasn't very convenient so had to just walk near motorhome to relieve herself which was not ideal, the second one she loved but couldn't go far, she sat and watched longingly while the other 2 went further and we had to turn back.
I've decided that she gets more exercise trotting between house and garden so might put motorhoming on hold for a while or buy her a buggy.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
so might put motorhoming on hold for a while or buy her a buggy.

Don't hesitate, our Westie loved motor home adventures but, she developed a lung disease similar to emphysema and could no longer run or even go for walks with our other puppy, we bought her a doggie pushchair which made the last few months of life happy and fulfilling, she loved it. We still have it but, you will probably need a larger one for the lab!

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Thanks, seriously thinking about doggycart, my reasoning is she'll do double the distance as she won't need to walk back but hubby unsure. Glad your Westie had a happy last few months, we did similar with a Border who was on wheels for last 6 months.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I'm thinking Im very lucky here. My dog is beginning to struggle at times getting in and out the MH but still loves to play fetch though gets knackered more easily. When the day come that I think he no longer enjoys the MH then he will be put into kennels or we just wont travel. My dog was 11 when we first got MH and has had 2 years to get used to motorhoming. Coming to work with me in my van since hes been a puppy has obviously helped make him a good traveller. Blues needs will always be my priority. Just try all the suggestions on here and hopefully your dog will settle.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We've used kiddies buggies and papooses for our poorly/elderly dogs in the past, I adapted one buggy so that the dog could lay in the lower part in the shopping net with a bit of board and a cushion rather than always have to go on the normal seat (placed flat in the laying down position) - he could then get in and out as he wished rather than have to be lifted in and out all the time, although as a small dog it wasn't a problem but for a larger dog obviously this lower travelling position would work well. You can pick buggies up for a few quid at car boot sales and there are usually a plethora of styles on offer so should be able to find one that suits.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Below are photos of our little monster Midey who unfortunately had Cushings disease but used to enjoy being carried around in his papoose and riding around in the buggy.
Midge in back-pack.jpg
Midge in buggy.jpg

Jaime

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Your lovely dog sounds as if she has dementia. The pacing, whether elderly or not would most likely be an after effect of epilepsy (which you would have noticed) causing short term brain damage, or dementia or a stroke. And dementia sounds most likely. Taken out of her own environment the dementia becomes more noticeable. Where I live there are dog-sitters advertising their assitance, lovely people (usually female) who can be trusted with both your dog and your house. Or someone already known to you perhaps could be trusted with your dog and your house. I agree, to release her spirit, take away her present life, purely for your own convenience is a big responsibility. But dementia is insiduous and to know "when" becomes even more difficult than deciding when an animals pain becomes intolerable. My thoughts are with you. I've made this decision many many times and it never gets easier.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back