Mar 26, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
Nah then,
Just collected my new to me MH, and booked a short trip to Woodhall spa.
when do we switch on the fridge / freezer..ie when we get there or the night before, if its the night before is the power draining the battery.......and if its when we arrive it might take ages for the food/beers to chill..........Thanks for reading

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If going in the morning turn it on night before, if leaving in the evening turn on in the morning, assuming it's a 3 way fridge either run it on gas (for best cooling) or mains, it will only run on 12 volt when the engine is running, one exception Hymer's if no other source of power they switch to the leisure battery and will flatten it in a few hours, I pulled the fuse on mine so it can't do it.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Your fridge has three power sources.

GAS.. for use on sites with No Ehu (electric hook up)
230v Mains.. for use on sites with EHU .. and also on your drive
12v DC for use when driving only

So, plug your van into the mains and set your fridge to 230v .. if it's an 'Auto Power' select type it will do this automatically

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you have no hookup at home/storage facility then switch to gas....or if its aes (auto select) it will switch automatically once the gas is turned on.

Overnight it will use next to no gas....the burner flame is little more than a cigarette lighter flame.

12v will not cool the fridge from ambient....it only maintains the current temperatute.
to chill it faster, if you are taking any frozen food place it in the fridge when you set off....the food will slowly thaw but will cool the fridge pretty quick.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stringa
Mar 26, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
not sure what you funsters mean........on the fridge it has a red and a green switch........which is which...... also today I bought a 25m cable but its only a male and female fitting which no doubt is for my hook up....should I have bought a different type cable and plug to run from my kitchen to my MH.........its a wayfarer by the way

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
also today I bought a 25m cable but its only a male and female fitting which no doubt is for my hook up....should I have bought a different type cable and plug to run from my kitchen to my MH.........its a wayfarer by the way

you bought correct .. to connect at home you need a mains adapter ..
like this

sorry, not familiar with your fridge knobs

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The guys on here who know what they're talking about will need manufacturer/ name/ model etc of your fridge, also ideally photos.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not sure what you funsters mean........on the fridge it has a red and a green switch........which is which...... also today I bought a 25m cable but its only a male and female fitting which no doubt is for my hook up....should I have bought a different type cable and plug to run from my kitchen to my MH.........its a wayfarer by the way

Green is 230v (only on hookup), red is 12v (only with engine running)

While driving, 12v should be on while 230v is off and gas off at bottle.

On site, turn off 12v and turn on 230v (if hookup available) or turn on gas and use fridge gas controls to set temp and to ignite.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Plenty to learn .. eh..

I guess you could spend some of the w/e reading the motorhome manuals.. with a cool one of course

have fun.. :)

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In the absense of frozen food buy some cheap freezer packs from a pound shop, freeze at home and place in fridge.....does the same as frozen food but need storage space when not in use.

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Remember if you are running on gas................ make sure you are level...
To work properly and not end up with a soot ball in your chimney it has to be level... or within a very few degree`s.. of being level..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stringa
Mar 26, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
Fellas......thanks for the info.........pappajohn thanks for that......seeing as our rose has only two mags to read.....she could maybe read the instructions........its not my cup of tea.........think I`ll be fishing....

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
If you can get yourself onto a Fun rally, there will be plenty of people willing and able to answer questions. We have all had to go through some form of learning process and the newer the van, the greater the learning curve.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back