Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
A Motorhome tip I have learnt today -

If you park your overhang over long grass make sure you cut or trample the grass down first and check for ant nests. Otherwise you might wake up sharing your bed with a load of ants!!

After discovering the ants crawling over the bed we opened the garage to find thousands of the little blitters in there. A quick reshuffle of the van to the other side of the Aire and then Colin emptys the whole garage out while I play vacuume the ants out the bed.
:doh::doh::doh:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
antz.jpg

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Ha ha, I was thinking of that film when I was vacuuming them up. At least mine were emptied back outside to live another day, Colin's victims got sprayed and swept out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
Same happened to us a few years back.
I now make sure there is never a bridge for creepy crawlies to cross from grass/shrubbery to the van.

Since our incident I now carry a secateurs and nip any branches which may be touching the van :rolleyes:

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I know they have difficulties with steps....... but anyone heard of them using the wheels? Found a whole load of snails under the van once, guessed they had climbed up the tyres. :imoutahere:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
So, far no problems with ants but on our way back from Portugal we stopped in Batalha, Spain and parked under some trees and the next morning we found hundreds of tiny spiders clinging to the side of the van. I thought I'd managed to kill them off by spraying them with vinegar. But when we moved off to another site we found the blighters were still there. It took three or four days before we eventually got rid of them all

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We were still finding them 2 months after I thought we had got them all! Some one said that mint around the wheels etc kept them away, nope. I just spray wheels, hose, cable, mudflaps with repelant and be for ever watchful!

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We were still finding them 2 months after I thought we had got them all! Some one said that mint around the wheels etc kept them away, nope. I just spray wheels, hose, cable, mudflaps with repelant and be for ever watchful!
Ditto, ant powder on the tyres keeps the little buggers away.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We still have our uninvited guests. Just had another spray and vacuume session but this time in the bathroom.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We had the same problem in Florida when touring the USA buggers came down through the roof from a tree branch. :)
Nature will find a way. :LOL:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
will you pack it up Sandra, I am still itching from the first report

we are already overloaded, now I need a lawn mower in the garage :D

I am pass caring now. We are slightly worse for wear after being shown around and given several tasters at the vineyard we are staying at. These French Aires can be in the best of places sometimes!!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
How awful!!

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i have a batt powered chainsaw,, good for when its tight in places,lol
and the wood make a nice firepit

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Another thing with ants,,,,, they are master carpenters - our neighbour had his caravan 'eaten' by ants whilst in storage. He didn't even know they were in there until a cupboard in the rear came loose then off the wall in the rear. The ants had literally eaten the 'batons' between the inner and outer skins of the van, just neat, pulp built nests at the bottom. It cost him a small fortune to have it repaired.
Be careful with the blighters.

Trikeman.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Talking of ants, but not in a van. When I was a kid we lived in a bungalow just outside Lagos in Nigeria. One day there was an almighty panic as a column of marching ants came through the front door. Big buggers too. Nothing seemed to stop them, there were millions of them. On advice from a local we opened the back door which was opposite and they eventually marched right through leaving an eaten line in the carpet behind them. Scared the hell out of me and my sister...Mum and Dad were not best pleased either. :frowny:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Jeez you two, that makes me feel loads better (NOT)

We are still getting the little blitters. Colin put some of his power tool batteries on charge on the floor by the had door, couple of hours later I went to move it and there was a couple of dozen under the charger!! Colin thought they must have been attracted by the noise the charger made, who knows! Off to Wilkinsons this morning to get any ant killer/traps we can find.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I did the bicarb and sugar recomended on here when I got home from Spain in the house and it seems to work? Just a small saucer on ledge above sink...

Davfo42

Free Member
Jun 19, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
10 years
I was ok. till someone mentioned spiders. i hate you.....i will never sleep again in my MH. sob sob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back