Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
Two things I have noticed when driving our RV. 1. It has some pretty big blind spots close to the sides and 2. Its quite hard to judge just how close you are to the side of the road or the centre. I think I have got it sussed for the left side but the right I rely on my co-pilot Ann to tell me. This is OK but she doesn’t drive (well except me up the wall) and she only tells me once I am over it. Not something useful like you are 6.6343773 mm from the white line.

Read more on my blog here

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have a 'clingy' fun penant in a suitabe position on the windscreen but any sticker will do.

if i look at the pointy end and can line up with the kerb/verge ahead from my usual seating position i know im around 8" to 10" from the kerb....usually just enough to avoid the Sunken drain grates
the right hand side is irrelevant...i cant go any further left anyway.
i can use the bottom corner of the split screen upright bar which on normal A roads lines up on the white lines...but is useless on narrower roads.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Another option, but not as easy to use, would be a couple of kerb mirrors mounted above the "cab" side windows.

Something like the DAF 55 kerb mirrors, available on ebay for around £20, may be suitable.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
A bit like papajohn I have two white spots strategically placed low down on the windscreen, I can line these with the side of the road or the white line, I have a kerb mirror but only find it useful at slow speeds.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
When we had an RV I had similar thoughts and decided to have 2 lines on the screen that lined up with both nearside and offside white lines or the road side. It takes some setting up but once done you can see exactly where you are on the road in any country. Since then I have had them on my screen and they provide me with points to check on where I am on the road without having to take my eyes off the road.

To assist me in setting up the correct position I used strips of white not slip matting and adjusted the position when on the road until they gave me the right place and angle to stick strips of glass cling plastic onto to the inside of the screen (using the same Fun sticker as PJ) using the reflection of the white strips in setting them up.

The most useful time is if you have to negotiate narrow roads or even lines of parked cars.

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Please Do not fasten anything to your dash or windscreen, this will only encourage you to look forward when you should be looking back. Any good HGV course will tell you you live in your mirrors

MIRROR
MIRROR
MIRROR &
MIRROR AGAIN

if you cannot see the full length of the RV in the mirror while driving then you have your mirrors all adjusted wrong. This explains how to set your mirrors correctly so you can position yourself correctly on the road, not looking forward at a mark on the dash. You will then be able to see the white line while driving safely

Bit "american " but worth a watch

one they are set correctly then driving will become a lot easier

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
yo
Please Do not fasten anything to your dash or windscreen, this will only encourage you to look forward when you should be looking back. Any good HGV course will tell you you live in your mirrors

MIRROR
MIRROR
MIRROR &
MIRROR AGAIN

if you cannot see the full length of the RV in the mirror while driving then you have your mirrors all adjusted wrong. This explains how to set your mirrors correctly so you can position yourself correctly on the road, not looking forward at a mark on the dash. You will then be able to see the white line while driving safely

Bit "american " but worth a watch

one they are set correctly then driving will become a lot easier

you beet me to it mirrors are the most important thing with any van (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back