Where's My Battery? And A General Leisure Battery Question. (1 Viewer)

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Along the list of absolute stupid questions - here goes. I thought my battery would be under the drivers seat. I can't actually see it so is it a seat out job? I have taken a pic there appears (to my untrained eye) to be some kind of earthing strap popping out which makes me think it may be hidden away.

The reason I ask is twofold. I want to know whether my solar panel has some kind of battery master that tops up the starter battery when the leisure battery is topped up. And where to jump it if needed!

My panel reads 13.0v on the leisure but is drawing 2 amps (with all off is this being drawn from the panel?) and 11.8v for the main battery.

I've attached pics of where I think the main is and the leisure batteries. Anyone got any comments about the leisure batteries in terms of their spec and longevity?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 109

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Your Rapido will have a CBE electrical system. This will look after your starter battery. Once the leisure batteries are fully charged, the starter battery gets charge too.

The batteries are Banner Gels by the look of it. Good batteries but you need to ensure your mains charger is set for Gel batteries.
There is a small dip switch inside the charger which you need to check. It is labelled gel or PB, meaning lead acid.

Ensure you are unplugged from EHU before removing the front of your charger to check though!

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Thanks. Where is said mains charger?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi @jonandshell what makes you say that these are GEL batteries, Banner 59533 is a starting bull wet battery according to Mr Google.

Also not sure if all CBE systems have the facility to look after the engine battery I know ours does but I thought that part of the system was an option.

Martin

Upvote 0

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Do you have the original Rapido handbook?
It shows where the CBE box will be - it can be in a different location depending on which model you have. On the 983M we used to have it was inside the rear n/s garage door on the bulkhead.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Thanks guys. My manual is in German and not very handy when meine deutsche ist nicht so gut! I would be well happy if they were gel batteries! Ps am I right in thinking that the starter battery is under the drivers seat (lhd)?

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
At 11.8v your starter battery it is well discharged and probably needs replacing....either not accepting a charge or not holding one.

At rest (off charge for an hour and not under load) it should read at least 12.6v.

At 13v your leisure batteries are getting a charge from your solar panel which will be where the 2 amps reading is coming from....2 amps going into the batteries.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
At 11.8v your starter battery it is well discharged and probably needs replacing....either not accepting a charge or not holding one.

At rest (off charge for an hour and not under load) it should read at least 12.6v.

At 13v your leisure batteries are getting a charge from your solar panel which will be where the 2 amps reading is coming from....2 amps going into the batteries.

Thanks.

Looks like I may need new batteries all round as when I sat in it on Sat with a bit of music and friends with lights on, it dipped down to around 11(ish)v. I assumed that the batteries probably needs replacing as they are probably 6 years old.

So - how do I get to the starter battery on a Rapido A Class, as this seems to be the main problem currently!

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
What make is the chassis and what year and engine configuration is it and someone will know.

Upvote 0

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Your battery is between/front of the seats. Rubberised panel lifts out and it's there.
Your leisure battery's should be under one of the lounge seats just behind the drivers seat.
If you come across an English version for the manual, let me know. Mines in French. I'll send you the link for the Ducato user manual if you want. :)
Oh, my charger, control panel etc is on the left, in the rear mini garage.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Your battery is between/front of the seats. Rubberised panel lifts out and it's there.
Your leisure battery's should be under one of the lounge seats just behind the drivers seat.
If you come across an English version for the manual, let me know. Mines in French. I'll send you the link for the Ducato user manual if you want. :)
Oh, my charger, control panel etc is on the left, in the rear mini garage.

Just emailed you. I should be able to get a download and will send you a link :)

Upvote 0

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Just seen your photo. Lift your carpet up in the cab area and you will see the inspection panel for the battery

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Hi @jonandshell what makes you say that these are GEL batteries, Banner 59533 is a starting bull wet battery according to Mr Google.

Also not sure if all CBE systems have the facility to look after the engine battery I know ours does but I thought that part of the system was an option.

Martin
Some CBE panels only charge the engine battery when on hook up including mine (DS520RA)

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I think it's a separate module Andy, I know ours has it as it charges the engine battery from the leisure when on solar.

Martin
Yes correct Martin. For mine I had to fit a CBECSB2 after market

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Thanks all - I found it! See pic.

Does look like 'more' wires than I'd expect to see on a starter battery. I'm guessing that it may have additional charging?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread