Italian Roundabouts (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2012
lancs
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
since 2006
Can anyone clarify for me what is the procedure on Italian Roundabouts (not fairground ones) it says give way to the right. So does that mean if you are actually on the roundabout and someone is coming in from the right you have to stop ?. May seem daft to ask, but we are going there in June for the first time and don't want to kill either ourselves or some unsuspecting Italian. Also which is the best ACSI listed site on lake Garda

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Can anyone clarify for me what is the procedure on Italian Roundabouts (not fairground ones) it says give way to the right. So does that mean if you are actually on the roundabout and someone is coming in from the right you have to stop ?. May seem daft to ask, but we are going there in June for the first time and don't want to kill either ourselves or some unsuspecting Italian. Also which is the best ACSI listed site on lake Garda
Italians taking any notice of road laws:LOL: The first time I witnessed a Farrari flashing his lights at an emergency ambulance to move over was in Italy.:)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi critch.
No, it's not a silly question. No questions on here are silly.

Not sure where you got that info regarding the road signs on Italian roundabouts? Unless I've missed something, the procedure is the same as it is in France.... Traffic from the left has priority on roundabouts. I've driven quite a bit in Italy and have never had to yield to traffic entering from the right (unless I thought they weren't going to stop :eek:) Mind you, I don't trust 'em - least of all the I-ties! They see a motorhome and think, "Better get in front of him, otherwise I'll get stuck behind him".

By the time you get to Italy, you'll be the roundabout expert!

Can't help on the Garda question. Someone else will.

James

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Driving in Italy is best undertaken in the knowledge that all rules of the road, especially speed limits, are treated as advisory.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would say it depends who is driving the other car...

0.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I would try the northern end or the eastern shore.. The south end is a bit expensive to say the least !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi critch.
No, it's not a silly question. No questions on here are silly.

Not sure where you got that info regarding the road signs on Italian roundabouts? Unless I've missed something, the procedure is the same as it is in France.... Traffic from the left has priority on roundabouts. I've driven quite a bit in Italy and have never had to yield to traffic entering from the right (unless I thought they weren't going to stop :eek:) Mind you, I don't trust 'em - least of all the I-ties! They see a motorhome and think, "Better get in front of him, otherwise I'll get stuck behind him".

By the time you get to Italy, you'll be the roundabout expert!

Can't help on the Garda question. Someone else will.

James
Almost correct.....

Except some rural roundabouts (and they dont have to be round) give priority to those entering the roundabout...or thats the rule in France.

Signs dictate who has priority.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have never seen an Italian roundabout with priority given to entering traffic (i.e. priority to the right). I think pretty much every country in Europe has now adopted priority to the left on major roundabouts. However, I remember a few years ago, that in the centre of a town in France, we found a roundabout with priority to the right. Perhaps there are still a few in Italy too? As an aside, in French towns, the default condition is priority to the right at junctions unless it is clearly marked otherwise (and in most cases it is). However, in Paris and other cities, there are many instances of priority to the right.

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Hi, Critch Camping Lazise, we have used this site twice, not acsi but reasonable price municipal site but unfortunatly you cant book we are going there in June the main thing about the site is only 500yds from the lake and town.Hope this helps.Johnm

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have never seen an Italian roundabout with priority given to entering traffic (i.e. priority to the right). I think pretty much every country in Europe has now adopted priority to the left on major roundabouts. However, I remember a few years ago, that in the centre of a town in France, we found a roundabout with priority to the right. Perhaps there are still a few in Italy too? As an aside, in French towns, the default condition is priority to the right at junctions unless it is clearly marked otherwise (and in most cases it is). However, in Paris and other cities, there are many instances of priority to the right.
We came across a triangular roundabout with a monument in the centre (war memorial or similar)
For all the world it was a T junction with split side roads....one each side of triangle

The french bread van just about burnt out his horn when i pulled on to the 'triangleabout' while on the main road.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never noticed any problems on roundabouts in Italy, but first time I drove in France it was an eyeopener giving way to the right on roundabouts, thank goodness they changed it.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
There all nutters who live in Italy (I know cos got family there) just put your foot down and go!!
We liked camping San Francisco in desenzano del Garda, southern part of lake, they take acsi, and site is right on lake, you can book your pitch before u go for best position, look online

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Another thing to be aware of, in both France and Italy large vehicles turning left on a roundabout ( 3rd or 4th exit) tend to still use the near side lane all the way round and may only indicate when leaving the roundabout.
Cheers

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Can't tell you the best, haven't been round them all. We are currently on an ACSI lake access nice pool but 3 miles out of pescheria del garda. We arrived without booking and thought we would get on camping butterfly, no chance. Full. Seems nice site and you can walk to bars restaurants and the old town from site. Harbour outside front gate and short walk to lakeside. We booked in for a week from this Saturday and will sit it out on here. We are new to lake garda but will be back. Its hot already, bonus!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
In Italy at the moment just give way to traffic from the left thats it.
Garda campsite whichever you can get on unless you prebook we'll be there in a few days but we know a little Sosta right on the beach. Last time we used Belle Italia with ACSI card cheap enough but not our cuppa too big too commercial. Plenty if sites and Sostas at Garda you'll always find somewhere.
Camping Butterfly never managed to get on yet but we never book anything.

OP
OP
critch
Apr 26, 2012
lancs
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
since 2006
Thanks for all the replies, I asked because that was the advice in the DK Italy touring book, and another said the same. Have experienced France for seven years so should be ok, the site advice is a great help we are not going to book so will have to take pot luck.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
After driving in Italy many times, I think I can answer this :D
So far as I can tell, if you ask an Italian who has the right of way, he will always reply "I do!"
And that appears to be how the road systems works ;-)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I hated driving a hire-car in Italy (especially the Amalfi Coast) but was amazed how my Italian co-pilot would instruct me to stop while she asked for directions: we never got hooted, despite standing still for quite a long time, once in the middle of a junction.

Eventually I followed her instructions to "be brave and go for it" so things got easier.

We're hoping to be in Garda in September, so please keep info on sites coming - Gordon

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Another thing to be aware of, in both France and Italy large vehicles turning left on a roundabout ( 3rd or 4th exit) tend to still use the near side lane all the way round and may only indicate when leaving the roundabout.
Cheers
I was told to treat roundabouts abroad as just an extension of the highway. Enter and stay in the right hand lane and keep indicating left until the junction before the one you wish to leave on then indicate right and exit. Has always worked fine for me.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Not wanting to highjack this thread but im in USA and only come across x1 roundabout but 8 lanes of traffic.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
When I first went to Sorrento / Naples at 19 (36 years ago) every vehicle you could imagine just dived on to the roundabouts and everyone just basically shuffled around until they could get off again, horns blaring, bumpers and sides often touching, lots of hand gestures and shouting, contraband cigs being sold at the road side as you went! :Eeek: When I have been in recent years traffic much more civilised, quieter and slower! Amalfi drive still a challenge, wont be going in our motorhome! :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back