Awning Rail, Underneath Wind Out Awning??? (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, we want to fit an awning rail below, or onto the wind out awning.

Has anyone ever done something similar, or can give information/advice please?

Ginny

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Our windout awning incorporates a channel that we use to attach our driveaway awning - yours could well be the same. You just need to get a connecting strip and the job's a good un (y)

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
I have an awning rail on the side of the van, below the wind out awning. The drive away awning fits better on there as it isn't attached away from the van as when on the wind out.

I'll post a pic later.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I have an awning rail on the side of the van, below the wind out awning. The drive away awning fits better on there as it isn't attached away from the van as when on the wind out.

I'll post a pic later.

Yes, that's just what we need, but we don't know which rail to buy, whether to screw or glue, or both.

Any info gratefully received.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Ginny, we have a strip of awning rail above our wind out awning.
It is bonded to the van with Sikaflex, we didn't want to use screws.
Brisey.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Our windout awning incorporates a channel that we use to attach our driveaway awning - yours could well be the same. You just need to get a connecting strip and the job's a good un (y)

We have tried the figure of eight strip and the Kampa Air awning just pulled out of the strip in the wind. We found the awning much too heavy for us to put up on our own, so we sold it in Spain.

We bought a second hand Isabella Minor with carbon poles which is very light and strong, but of course we need an extra awning rail.

The problem is which rail to buy, whether to stick or screw it to the motorhome or to the existing wind out awning, we need to get it right 'first time'!!!

Ginny

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I was fortunate to be given a length of aluminum rail by Jim.
Perhaps he can advise you as to where you can purchase it.
Brisey.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have tried the figure of eight strip and the Kampa Air awning just pulled out of the strip in the wind.

Too late now but I think there are two different sizes of groove, 6mm and 8mm if I remember correctly. It is possible you had 6mm male bit, so to speak, in an 8mm groove.

Probably best not to dwell on that image too long as it wouldn't have helped the weight issue!

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
There you go. Standard awning rail that I got from Magnums motorhomes. Stuck on with Everbuild Stixall with a few small self tappers to hold it in position until the glue had set. DSC_0009.JPG

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
There you go. Standard awning rail that I got from Magnums motorhomes. Stuck on with Everbuild Stixall with a few small self tappers to hold it in position until the glue had set.View attachment 62261

Hi, thanks for the photo.

It's difficult to see which rail you have used, does it have screw holes above and below the rail, or is it the one with aluminium above the rail only. We looked at the slimline rail which is just the rail with no support either above or below, but this looked a bit flimsy and we were worried it might come away in the Spanish winter winds.

Ginny

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Have you thought how you are going to reach it? Our wind out awning is much too high for me to reach and I am over 6'

We have a Kampa Air and you are right it is heavy, but the advantage of using the wind out to attach to is it come down close enough to reach!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the 2 usual types of awning rail are P profile and C profile

P profile is best as it can be bonded to a flat surface

as for beading pulling from the track, beads are either 6mm or 4 mm and you need the correct kador strip kit to connect

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Have you thought how you are going to reach it? Our wind out awning is much too high for me to reach and I am over 6'

We have a Kampa Air and you are right it is heavy, but the advantage of using the wind out to attach to is it come down close enough to reach!!

We have a set of steps which allow us to reach the rail, which will be 2.4 metres approx high. Once in the rail it should be easy to pull it the length of the rail, especially as the awning is quite light.

Ginny

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Our new to us van has an awning track under the canopy, please dont use unsealed screws unless you want a damp van :-(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back