Have A Pvc? Forget About Getting Full-timer's Insurance Coverage! (1 Viewer)

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
I have a new-ish Murvi Morello, hoping to full-time for a year from next December and decided to bite the bullet and get properly insured for it. I just rang Comfort (being the only ones who offer FTing insurance, AIB also but same underwriters), and the first thing she asked me was if it was a PVC or a coachbuilt. She said they do not cover panel van conversions, only coachbuilts!!! She didn't seem to know why and I am really at a loss as to why there would be any difference. Surely a PVC is less prone to expensive damage to bodywork etc -
Well, now what? Either I trade in my beloved and practical PVC for a coachbuilt, or I am forced to find other ways and means....
Insurance companies remain a frustrating mystery to me:unsure:.

YJ

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Still I would try AIB, although same Aviva but different policies.
Tried to ring them but closed on a Saturday. Will try on Monday and update the post. The eternal problem of FT insurance eh?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Some fulltimers in a pvc have travelled for a long time and written a book. Don't know their names but you may be able to find and contact them.
What about a fulltimers forum or someone's log?
Did they say why they wouldn't cover a pvc?

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Some fulltimers in a pvc have travelled for a long time and written a book. Don't know their names but you may be able to find and contact them.
What about a fulltimers forum or someone's log?
Did they say why they wouldn't cover a pvc?
Well, I've been through this before after full-timing with different van in 2009 for a while. The only way to be properly covered without a permanent address in the UK is via Comfort and possibly AIB - if they won't take you on, you are left to either be 'creative' with the truth and hope that if something happens, the insurer doesn't do too much checking on your statements. Too big a risk for me with an expensive van. Insurers are fickle when it comes to FTing insurance and the goalposts change. Never dreamed it would be a problem with a Murvi to pay the extra premiums - no explanation given from Comfort. Just a NO. Fingers crossed for AIB.

Deleted User
Um, we have a PVC and looking to go full time in the future so hopefully your update on Monday will be better news. :(
Ps I think the fulltimers referred to above are the Kingstons, lady called Ali, think their blog is something like motorhomefulltimers, a google search might throw it up?
motorhomelifers.co.uk just found it saved in my favs. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Blog, that's the word I was trying to think of :doh: lol

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I thought I read of another company very recently offering full time insurance?

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Ok - here's where my £10 subscription pays off - Dogsense said to try AIB anyway, and they've given me a quote of £1038 including a discount for being on MHFun - thanks to you and Greenway. It's a crazy premium considering I now pay £350 with Safeguard, but at least it's a premium! Being a bit on the cynical side, I do worry what will happen if THEY decide not to insure PVCs anymore for full-timing-nowhere else to go. Comfort must have cut out PVCs for a reason. Hmm. I think I'll write to Comfort management and see if i can get to the bottom of it.
Milliemobile - sorry for the heart attack, but I still think it's still a precarious situation. Much better to keep some kind of UK residency and stay with someone like Safeguard who offer 365 days per year of European cover for a third of the price. Once you drop bricks and mortar, you're treated as a 'marginal' person.
BTW, can any of you full-timers tell me if that premium sounds reasonable for a £37,000 van? I've got all my SD discount and clean record.

Last edited:

Deleted User
Um, expensive, if you retain any property in the Uk and pay council tax would that cover for normal insurance I wonder, even if you do spend majority of time in van?
We are looking at buying a tiny lock up and leave if we ever sell current property, so may be ok on safeguard.
Lin

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Um, expensive, if you retain any property in the Uk and pay council tax would that cover for normal insurance I wonder, even if you do spend majority of time in van?
We are looking at buying a tiny lock up and leave if we ever sell current property, so may be ok on safeguard.
Lin
Technically not. You have to be on the electoral role and have a proper residential address to be insured otherwise. A lot of people fiddle it (declaring they live at a friend's or relative's, but the insurers aren't daft - if something major happens, they probably have a way to trace the truth) but anyway, I don't have the courage to cheat. I'm actually quite happy to pay the extra premium as long as there is one to pay! But they have us by the short and curlies if they decide to drop PVCs or full-timers in general. Look forward to hearing more about your plans Lin!

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Lateral Thinking? Own House, Pay Council Tax, and SUB LET. (enough to cover your costs?.) Possible advantage you stay on the "housing ladder" too.

Pete
Works for a lot of full-timers out there, but I still don't know if it's fully legit. Me, I'm a lowly private renter so I'm on my own out there. Can't wait to jump off the cliff though!
Bring on December!!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
C
Lateral Thinking? Own House, Pay Council Tax, and SUB LET. (enough to cover your costs?.) Possible advantage you stay on the "housing ladder" too.

Pete
Comfort say, if you let your residence to another person then you do not have that as your residence so you need full-timing cover. If you only sub let part of the property you need Landlords insurance. You are still then liable for Council Tax and water, electric bills on the remainder. Catch All situation.

When I went full time there was no difference financially between paying council tax and our full-timing insurance premium. So there was some saving, as we were not paying both council tax and van insurance. We saved on water and electric bills, but lost out if we used caravan sites.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It all just seems a con to me in the UK. In the EU you get a full green card allowing you to travel anywhere in Europe.There are no restrictions placed on travel time either. I.e. you can be away all year. I'm covered for 25k kms/year , any driver over age 30,anywhere in Europe for 446€.

Deleted User
Technically not. You have to be on the electoral role and have a proper residential address to be insured otherwise. A lot of people fiddle it (declaring they live at a friend's or relative's, but the insurers aren't daft - if something major happens, they probably have a way to trace the truth) but anyway, I don't have the courage to cheat. I'm actually quite happy to pay the extra premium as long as there is one to pay! But they have us by the short and curlies if they decide to drop PVCs or full-timers in general. Look forward to hearing more about your plans Lin!

If we buy a cheap lock up and leave would leave empty other than when we visit UK, so would be us on electoral role. But on balance the council tax and standing charges for utility are probable the same as the extra you pay for full time insurance so might drop out of property market for a few years instead.
That's assuming we can ever sell our current place :(

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
If we buy a cheap lock up and leave would leave empty other than when we visit UK, so would be us on electoral role. But on balance the council tax and standing charges for utility are probable the same as the extra you pay for full time insurance so might drop out of property market for a few years instead.
That's assuming we can ever sell our current place :(
Ahhh, lock up and leave residence - I thought you meant STORAGE! By all accounts, you should be just fine in that case. But yes indeed - how does that cost out in the balance? Ouch. At least you would have a back up if it doesn't work out though, or if some other anomaly rears its head. Having full-timed in the past, I can say that it really isn't for everybody so better to try for a year and have something to come back to if it isn't your cup of tea after all.
Very good luck getting your place sold!
Jac

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in the right area etc cheap council tax it can be as little as 35 quid a week.
mind you have to have no mortgage or finance. use water meter , leccy on a key ,lpg gas .
really is cheap for just parking when you are home . cheaper than campsite.
in rural areas many have barns that they use as an address. get a mate or relative to open mail etc .
not difficult and can be cheap.
you have an address so you are on holiday when away.
yet keep property so can always be uk resident if you want.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I'm not on any electoral roles anywhere, and I don't have any trouble getting my car or caravan insured.
Just changed my details today, all they asked was, was I a home owner or renter, to which I replied neither, I'm moving in to live with friends.

No problem and new policies with the new address issued instantly on the net.

:cooler:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We paid £1800 a year when we fulltimed in the RV, stayed roughly the same for the 3 years we fulltimed. Doing it fully legit isn't cheap, but we slept easier at night.:)
We own a small shop so all the mail went there, but the council won't accept commercial premises to put you on the electoral register, has to be domestic.

Ian

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have you tried NFU mutual
Their underwriters may not be as rigid as some

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Have you tried NFU mutual
Their underwriters may not be as rigid as some
NFU said they had withdrawn from Full Time insurance market due to the number of high value claims in the first year. They would continue to cover existing customers, but not take on any new custom for these policies. At that time they were the only alternative to Comfort.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back