May 10, 2015
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
First MH in about 20 years
Hi
Just want to introduce myself: I'm about to wind up my last week in bricks and mortar before I pick up my new home on wheels and run away. HELP! I'm scared and can't wait to get the first few weeks over and done with, while I get used to driving the big thing! Then I have to find even more courage to keep going and get into this new life.
I am sure it will be fine but I'm still full of apprehension.
Now most of the practical and administrative tasks of a major life upheaval have been ticked off, my thoughts are turning to reality. It's all new and overwhelming at the moment so I would really like to hear from other full-timers about their own initial fears and how they were overcome.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi and welcome(y) plenty of full timers on here who love the freedom and lifestyle and I sure some of them will be along to help you soon;) maybe you would like to go to some of the rallys on here and get to know a few funsters:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi and welcome.. plenty of reading the Fulltimer forum.. also on our sister site, motorhoming 365 fulltiming

as said, lots of fulltimers on here and a few ex like myself who gave up after three years.. ask the questions.. you will get answers

just one comment.. you said "pick up my new home on wheels and run away"..

there is no running away.. only choices.. it's a different lifestyle.. not an escape, there are still bills to be paid, albeit different ones, medical issues to attend to and you still need to either earn a crust, have a stack in the bank, of have a good pension.. fulltiming is cheaper than bricks and mortar .. but not cheap...

Nor is it one long holiday... it may feel like that for a year or so.. but it may get boring unless you have a purpose.. or a part time job..

as mentioned.. insurance for a full timer is quite expensive.. think 3 to 4 times a 'normal' motorhome premium .

last bit of advice.. think what you will do if you don't like it.. have an exit strategy.. and if possible keep a home base.. with no fixed abode there are a lot of problems that have to be overcome.. none impossible.. if no fixed abode, you will need a c/0 address for insurance, driving licence and vehicle registration..

good luck.. and suggest you become a full member.. the £10 subs will be a good investment..

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Enjoy your travels and welcome

animated-gif-emoticons.jpg

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Good luck!
We are just coming to the end of 4 years of fulltiming, so ask away if you have any questions - someone will know (or make it up;))

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but I'm still full of apprehension..

There are some fulltimers in here and also some who gave it up as not for them.

Give it your best shot, no point in having a dream without trying it out.

Moral support here, by the bucket full.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome enjoy your new chosen life style exciting time's ahead.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Welcome to fun. Good luck full timing.

OP
OP
G

Genie

Free Member
May 10, 2015
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
First MH in about 20 years
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your messages of support. I just needed a pep talk.
Yes I am fully prepared to accept it may not be for me but at least I'll know.
I've taken a year out of work so I do have a job to go back to and, if it suits, I'll still live in the van (job is part time so I'll still have 4 days a week and a good chunk of annual leave for playing out!)
Yes I agree that "running away" is a negative term - I am training myself to say "running to".
Insurance no problem, just got proper full time insurance sorted this week and am happy with the premium. It includes breakdown cover and pretty much equates to the cost of insuring a motorhome AND a house which is what non-full-timers have to do!
After some "holidaying" I plan to try WWOOFing - check it out if you've not heard of it.
So let's see where it takes me. I'm looking forward to joining in with the Fun!
Genie

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
WWOOFing sounds like a good idea.
We help out on campsites through the summers, couple of hours a day 'working' and the rest of the time is ours!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Been fulltiming for just over 6 years now. No intention of going back to a house anytime soon.

Any questions and I will be happy to do my best to answer them.

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
Insurance no problem, just got proper full time insurance sorted this week and am happy with the premium. It includes breakdown cover and pretty much equates to the cost of insuring a motorhome AND a house which is what non-full-timers have to do!
Do you mind my asking: who are you insured with, who were the closest competition and who quoted a ridiculous price or refused?
Are there conditions or restrictions (limited milage, limited time out of UK)?

I'll soon be looking for a 365 days policy, ideally one that will also extend to a green card for Morocco & the Balkan countries (e.g. Albania). I have a UK address (on the electoral roll, paying council tax). I know this question has been asked a hundred times but as things constantly change I think it's always worth re-visiting..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back