Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Why is it if I go for my usual ride on my full carbon, £5K Colnago road bike wearing my most 'obvious' lycra, hunting the hills for a bit of lung busting fun, I get this. Motorists, mostly MacDonalds scoffing BMW 'drivers' (still with barbeque sauce on the third chin) wish to threaten to deny my Granchildren a Grandfather,,,,, Why do they wish to carve me up, brake for no reason in front, make finger gestures as they speed off, throw things out and I even had one spit at me....
:swear2:

HOWEVER.

If I do the same route, same time, same day on my £200 Boardman hybrid, donned in my jeans tucked in my socks, a fleece and a different helmet then I get nothing but courteous drivers, waving me out, giving me room when they overtake and some even let me go into the cyclist block at traffic lights,,,,, :clap2: What the hell is the difference,.... it's me, the same cyclist Oh Please!?

Anyone care to work out the logic in the first example? Anyone have similar reactions?

Yes, bikes are both insured (comp), I pay VED on all vehicles (inc PLG on my 3850kg MoHo) :Eeek: and I have cycled for donkey's with max no claims - so not too much of an idiot.

Regards,

Trikeman. :wink:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Definitely the Lycra

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Lycra ? ..... Lycra Oh Please! ,
I'd hit you between the eyes with a Big Mac (super sized) and maybe a bag of fries .. or 2...
My god man.... Lycra.....
You had our sympathy until you came out with that mouthful....
Doesn't bear thinking about !
I use the 3 pointed star on my merc as a gun sight for the Lycra brigade !

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Because it is what you expect from Lycra clad cyclists, had all those things off cyclists when I was van driving in Birmingham

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Because of the few badly behaved ones, you get then round here the Lycra clad riders on the sports bikes who think they own the road, they ride extremely aggressively, expect everyone to give way to them regardless of right of way & piss everyone off. They don't appear to know the difference between riding defensively & aggressively.

It only takes a few of them to make people tar every one with the same brush.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Definitely the Lycra we've cycled all over Europe in the last 2 weeks. Done 18 miles to Vienna and back today and what a difference compared to the UK. Some Lycra clads around but they behave properly unfortunately just the opposite of many Lycra clad bullies in the UK.
Have to say cycling is a real pleasure in Europe far different from home, we could learn so much from old Johnny Foreigner.
We're not fanatical cyclists purely for fitness convenience and pleasure but nearly everyone cycles here.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Another vote for the lycra. it's unfortunate but true that we all stereotype and when driving I am very quick to ensure a dominant road position around lycra clad riders. Past experience tells me if I don't I will end up with abuse at minimum and damage to my property as a viable alternative. Try dressing as a polish worker. I suspect you will have an even worse experience

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
So far most of the comments here have tarred all cyclists who wear Lycra with the same brush!

For those car drivers who have never ridden a bike on today's roads with two ton death machines literally 6 feet behind them, I would invite them to join me and see what the other side is like!

The reason that cyclists ride about one meter from the side of the road it twofold:-

Today's roads are so badly repaired that there are often potholes, disintegrating Tarmac and drains that are now six inches below the road level due to the number of times the road has been just tarred and stoned for a repair.

It also means that should a car overtake within a foot of you, despite being totally clear on the other side of the road, you have space to take avoiding action rather that hit the kerb and bounce back into the car overtaking.

I know not all cyclists are good cyclists, fact, just as not all car drivers are good drivers, fact. But remember there are a lot more cars on the road than bikes so by definition there are a lot more bad drivers!

I have over the years raised tens of thousands for putting on bike races, convinced large companies to donate funds to buy bikes for disadvantaged kids to ride in local cycle clubs.

All aimed at increasing fitness, self worth and team spirit, a thing somewhat lacking with today's sedentary lifestyle

My wife and I have cycled all over the UK and Western Europe and have found that the British car drivers are the least sympathetic to cyclists.

So why is that? Perhaps it is because on the continent the car driver is automatically at fault if they have an accident with a cyclist, and they have to prove they had not driven badly.

Finally please just take time to remember that in any accident between a car and a cyclist, the car is at worst just likely to have damage to the paintwork, whilst the cyclist is likely to be killed!

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
So far most of the comments here have tarred all cyclists who wear Lycra with the same brush!

For those car drivers who have never ridden a bike on today's roads with two ton death machines literally 6 feet behind them, I would invite them to join me and see what the other side is like!

The reason that cyclists ride about one meter from the side of the road it twofold:-

Today's roads are so badly repaired that there are often potholes, disintegrating Tarmac and drains that are now six inches below the road level due to the number of times the road has been just tarred and stoned for a repair.

It also means that should a car overtake within a foot of you, despite being totally clear on the other side of the road, you have space to take avoiding action rather that hit the kerb and bounce back into the car overtaking.

I know not all cyclists are good cyclists, fact, just as not all car drivers are good drivers, fact. But remember there are a lot more cars on the road than bikes so by definition there are a lot more bad drivers!

I have over the years raised tens of thousands for putting on bike races, convinced large companies to donate funds to buy bikes for disadvantaged kids to ride in local cycle clubs.

All aimed at increasing fitness, self worth and team spirit, a thing somewhat lacking with today's sedentary lifestyle

My wife and I have cycled all over the UK and Western Europe and have found that the British car drivers are the least sympathetic to cyclists.

So why is that? Perhaps it is because on the continent the car driver is automatically at fault if they have an accident with a cyclist, and they have to prove they had not driven badly.

Finally please just take time to remember that in any accident between a car and a cyclist, the car is at worst just likely to have damage to the paintwork, whilst the cyclist is likely to be killed!

When you see a bunch of school kids by the road what do you do?

When you see a frail person at the kerb what do you do?

When you see a young enough to be id's for cigarettes behind the wheel of a lowered corsa what do you do?

When you see a middle aged chap on an outrageously expensive pushbike what do you do?

When we drive, if we are good drivers, we make judgements about the people around us and their likely actions. unfortunately, the lycra clad gent is being tarred with the same brush as the lycra clad prick we had to swerve round as they jumped the last set of lights across our bonnet..

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
When you see a bunch of school kids by the road what do you do?

When you see a frail person at the kerb what do you do?

When you see a young enough to be id's for cigarettes behind the wheel of a lowered corsa what do you do?

When you see a middle aged chap on an outrageously expensive pushbike what do you do?

When we drive, if we are good drivers, we make judgements about the people around us and their likely actions. unfortunately, the lycra clad gent is being tarred with the same brush as the lycra clad prick we had to swerve round as they jumped the last set of lights across our bonnet..

But do you think it right, after your experience with the 'prick', that it's OK to then go targeting anyone who enjoys their sport, however old, and head for them?
Just a question?

Trikeman.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
But do you think it right, after your experience with the 'prick', that it's OK to then go targeting anyone who enjoys their sport, however old, and head for them?
Just a question?

Trikeman.

No it isn't right and I hope I dont target anyone when I'm driving. I certainly take a dominant road position to try and stay in front of lycra in traffic where I normally leave kerb space for cyclists to filter and on lanes I am more likely to toot lycra that is hogging a road where I might have more patience with other cyclists.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
You recon all the saggy bits can hang and be supported by high stretch nylon......
Problem is that most of em must complain to their GP with castarated hemeroids with those saddles that must feel like sitting on a crowbar !

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The problem is a lot of British motorists don't know how bikes should be ridden. The official "highway code" for cycling, obtainable from HMSO, called Cyclecraft, states that the default position for a bike is the middle of the lane. Not riding in the gutter so motorists don't have to think about whether they can overtake safely.

Cycling in places like France and Spain is a joy. Cycling in the UK is in my experience unpleasant at times.

Why? A combination of poor laws, the ambiguity of the badly written Highway Code when it comes to cyclists and entrenched anti-cycling views by some (and only a few) motorists.

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Ah' Brooks, the saddle for the discerning Gentleman.

The most comfortable saddles I have ever ridden are ones without anything on them - no leather, no sponge,,,,, nowt - but fits my sitbones perfect. Pure carbon and only 90 grams. I have three of them.(y)
Broken Link Removed
Trikeman.;)

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No

The most comfortable saddles I have ever ridden are ones without anything on them - no leather, no sponge,,,,, nowt - but fits my sitbones perfect. Pure carbon and only 90 grams. I have three of them.(y)
Broken Link Removed
Trikeman.;)
Christ,
You must have an arse like a Tupperware box !

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
If you want to avoid any aggro, ride a recumbent trike! I rode two wheels for years, lycra clad and not and motorists almost ignored you - but on a trike! I rode my trike from Edinburgh to Dorset (550 miles) and had no issues at all, in fact enormous courtesy from all road users but, when I got home, as soon as I got onto two wheels to go only 2 miles I was carved up twice - and I was not even in lycra! Motorists just don't see cyclist, but they sure as hell notice a trike!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Why is it if I go for my usual ride on my full carbon, £5K Colnago road bike wearing my most 'obvious' lycra,
Because you insist of stuffing a large carrot inside your Lycra whatevers, therefore exiting the wives of these motorists who then try and kill you!(y)
Stands to reason really........:)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Broken Link Removed
Trikeman.;)

Hi @Trikeman nice bike, fits your sit bones, that's the secret.

Not much on that bike that isn't carbon, have you got Carbon chainrings.

Martin

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Well now @Trikeman, I don't eat McDonalds, don't have 3 chins (yet, getting there) but I do have a lovely BMW, so next time I see a Lycra clad cyclist on a fancy do da bike I might just stereo type him as someone who doesn't like BMW drivers and get the first shove in! :boxing:

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
@Tootles
Can you remember this shot? Last TDF Vincenzo Nibali, the lass on the right went to present the lion/bear thingy and as she came on stage she said "Sacre Blur" or words to that effect,,,,,, Chris Boardman was p*****g himself laughing. It was on the original first take but all the repeats were dubbed out. She was a little bemused by it all though.

Broken Link Removed

Trikeman.:getmecoat:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Lycra ? ..... Lycra Oh Please! ,
I'd hit you between the eyes with a Big Mac (super sized) and maybe a bag of fries .. or 2...
My god man.... Lycra.....
You had our sympathy until you came out with that mouthful....
Doesn't bear thinking about !
I use the 3 pointed star on my merc as a gun sight for the Lycra brigade !

And yet again you encapsulate the crux of the matter for us all, I am in awe!(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Can you remember this shot? Last TDF Vincenzo Nibali, the lass on the right went to present the lion/bear thingy and as she came on stage she said "Sacre Blur" or words to that effect,,,,,, Chris Boardman was p*****g himself laughing. It was on the original first take but all the repeats were dubbed out. She was a little bemused by it all though.

cycling.jpg

Indian Pink.............................................. Rare Indian variety not commercially available with pinkish roots. (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

Broken Link Removed
Trikeman.;)

Jesus H. Trike, you talked earlier about grandchildren, I take it you have already got children.......20 miles on that saddle and I'm afraid spawning will become almost impossible imo!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back