Adria Izola Gas Help (1 Viewer)

Tinyk

Free Member
Mar 9, 2009
Funster No
Hiya, first request for help from the wealth of wisdom in this place, this one has been driving me nuts.

When we put down our deposit our dealer quite rightly explained that when our van comes back in from its current owner they will move the gas bottles over to their new van, leaving us just the empty space and connectors for two bottles. He said we would need to pay the bottle deposit and purchase two calor bottles.

Now I'm sure that's right (from their part) but from my days of having a super ser gas fire i seem to remember you could buy the bottle from a local garage that fitted the same adapter as the calor one with no bottle deposit.

Could somone kindly tell me what bottles will my camper take, red / Blue, what size and can i just tell the dealer i have some at home and skip to the local garage to buy some? if so any sites around wellington devon you would recommend?

I also saw in chelstons shop they had the re-fillable bottles, since we have gas only heating i'd obviously like to look at the cheapest option for purchasing gas and the one that gives the best option when abroad as we plan on visiting the netherlands a fair bit.

Thanks for anyone that can give me a full run down, hope i can help one of you one day.

Kevin

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hiya, first request for help from the wealth of wisdom in this place, this one has been driving me nuts.

When we put down our deposit our dealer quite rightly explained that when our van comes back in from its current owner they will move the gas bottles over to their new van, leaving us just the empty space and connectors for two bottles. He said we would need to pay the bottle deposit and purchase two calor bottles.

Now I'm sure that's right (from their part) but from my days of having a super ser gas fire i seem to remember you could buy the bottle from a local garage that fitted the same adapter as the calor one with no bottle deposit.

Could somone kindly tell me what bottles will my camper take, red / Blue, what size and can i just tell the dealer i have some at home and skip to the local garage to buy some? if so any sites around wellington devon you would recommend?

I also saw in chelstons shop they had the re-fillable bottles, since we have gas only heating i'd obviously like to look at the cheapest option for purchasing gas and the one that gives the best option when abroad as we plan on visiting the netherlands a fair bit.

Thanks for anyone that can give me a full run down, hope i can help one of you one day.

Kevin

should be propane (red) ;but check regulator

Usually you pay for container and gas initially but then only pay for refilling ;however
this company based in birmingham you only pay for the gas::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Calor 6kg Propane Gas + Bottle....Full £14.50

Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
could always check ebay for an empty. couple of quid and your in, then just go to any garage and choose what you want, if you want to change to a different gas to the bottle you have ask the manager to do it for you. They know how to and it costs nothing, its a way of promoting there own gas'es.

Alternately I woudl go for the gaslow myself. I have fitted it to my van and never looked back. I too have an adria with gas heating and there are four of us. We go away a lot in winter including skiiing and tbh we dont use that much. We can only get a large and a 6kg bottle in our van. I have one refilable gaslow and the other is a calor lite for emergency.

It costs a few quid for a gaslow system and although gas is cheaper it would take you a long time to get your money back. It is really all about convinience and to prevent me taking back a bottle that has a 1/4 gas in it. I jsut keep it topped up.

You could also consider getting the refillable adaptor that some recomend (q roger :ROFLMAO:) some swear by them others go mad at the prospect.

Good luck with your new van and welcome to the adria's owner club :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tinyk

Free Member
Mar 9, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for that, looking at the gaslow, this is the bottles i saw at chelston and the idea of keeping a calor as spare with the gaslow sounds ideal.

More questions im afraid, could you tell me how much it cost for the install of the gaslow and also where do you get them refilled, can chelston do it? can they just top it up and you pay for what you have?

I doubt we will use more than a bottle on one trip and if i cant take the bottle out and chuck in the car to get it topped up when passing that would be ideal.

Thanks for your help so far.

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Kevin
The gas you want is propane red cylinder, but if you intend traveling abroad a lot give a look at Gaslow - home this you can fill at any garage that sells gas,not cheap but it saves having problems when you can't get calour abroad. It is quite easy to get fitted an advantage of it is that you can take it with you if you change vans.

I am not certain what size bottles Adria takes but someone on the site will.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tinyk

Free Member
Mar 9, 2009
Funster No
This really is looking like the best option for me, plus we have a couple garages locally that sell lpg so wont have to worry about getting it topped up.

Costs wise I can see it working out a bit expensive in the first instance but when you take into consideration fitting it will save me having to pay the bottle deposit on two calor bottles plus the cost saving on the first fill, I reckon it will be the best option for us. We plan to do a fair bit of all year round camping, that combined with the adrias gas for heating and water only system, the only time we wont use it is on hookup when we plan to use a couple small radiators.

Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
LPG is cheaper both here and abroad.

I fitted my own gaslow system and DIY means done in years in my house.

quite a simple job, a 11kg bottle is about £135 now plus about £70 for a filler kit, £20 for a bracket if you choose to mount it inside the gas locker. I put mine inthe locker door, i dont need to open it up and it's so simple. Not the recomended way or it was until a year or so ago, when they suggested that constant opening and closing of the door could chaf the pipe.
You could attempt to source a bottle from ebay, or even ask on here if anyone is selling one.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Calor 6kg Propane Gas + Bottle....Full £14.50

I was quoted £25 for a refilled blue tank I use for a heater.

A few days later we refilled an empty 11kg Gaslow ( same size as the blue one ) for a tenner.

Bottom line is Gaslow Rules.

Or you buy one of the suspect refiller gadgets and get the same deal for Calor.

Funnily enough, the place where we bought the LPG had a sign up "Adaptor available to refill Calor tanks".

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i got my empties from the local tip.

offered the guy a couple of quid for each bottle. (it buys coffee and sugar for their canteen. :thumb:)

just got a refill friday at the local BATA depot..... 13kg = £23.10 + 5% vat.

Upvote 0
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I was quoted £25 for a refilled blue tank I use for a heater.

A few days later we refilled an empty 11kg Gaslow ( same size as the blue one ) for a tenner.

Bottom line is Gaslow Rules.

Or you buy one of the suspect refiller gadgets and get the same deal for Calor.

Funnily enough, the place where we bought the LPG had a sign up "Adaptor available to refill Calor tanks".

Did look at this system ;but thought it was a little expensive so many other things taking priority, (maybe later)

So its the adaptor for me::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back