Help Please Italy To Switzerland (1 Viewer)

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Can anyone tell me if its possible to get from (we are avoiding the motorways) val venosta along to St Moritz, up to chur\coira, across to andermatt, sustenpass down to Interlaken, thun, spiez, gstaad, leysin, aigle with a 7.5 metre van? I see the route possible on the map but in reality? Intend to go along lake leman and into France. Big ask but if anyone has done this route would appreciate your comments.

Last edited:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi,
From what I've gleaned so far on here you can't even enter Switzerland in a 7.5 tonnes van without buying the authority to do so.

You can however buy that authority at the border and it will allow you 10days travel in any one year. (they give you a form that you have to fill out every day you are on the road)
From memory (Look under the Continental Touring section, it's there somewhere) for about 33€

The 10 days isn't consec. Therefore you could do your intinerary with ease and it gives you the authority to use their motorways.

Result!!!

OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Thanks, 7.5m not tonne! Just edited my post. Will look for that thread but I thought the vignette was just for motorways?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Oooops. Sorry.

It's actually easier with a 3.5+tonnes van than a lightweight.
The heavy ones pay 32.50€ for 10days
The lighter ones don't need to pay anything but you may find it difficult to avoid the Motorways.
Here is the info I received.
Courtesy: http://swift-kontiki.co.uk/switzerland/swiss-motorway-tolls/

The Swiss have a clever system for collecting motorway tolls. Rather than have a booth at every motorway junction – that would require heating, power, staff etc, the Swiss motorway tollssystem is a lot more straight forward. One payment is made and this is valid for a given period of time.

The only complexity with the Swiss motorway tolls system is the fact that there are two different systems in operation – one for vehicles under 3500kg and the other method for vehicles over 3500kg. Lorries however are dealt with in a different manner.

Within this article, I refer to “Swiss motorway tolls” but the Swiss actually call this payment a “tax”.

Swiss motorway tolls – under 3500 kg.

This category will cover many motorhomes, most cars and pretty much all caravans. Also included in the Swiss motorway tolls “under 3500kg” section are motorbikes and other trailers.

Link Removed
Leaflet showing the routes covered by the Swiss motorway tolls system

For caravanners, you will note that you must purchase a toll sticker, also known as a vignette for both the car and the caravan. Vignettes are available at the border and at the time of writing cost 40 Swiss Francs. The vignettes are valid for between three and fourteen months…. For example, you may purchase a 2012 toll sticker from 1st December2011 and this is valid through to the end of January 2013 – 14 months validity. A vignette purchase in November 2011 will be valid until the end of January 2012. To sum up, the vignette is valid for the year shown on it, plus the previous December and the following January. These vignettes may also be purchased from the Link Removed

The following link will be useful to those driving cars, motorhomes under 3500kg, caravans and motorbikes.

Link Removed

Swiss motorway tolls – over 3500kg

This time, a slightly different system is in place for vehicles over 3500kg, – so this covers large 4×4 type vehicles, coaches, buses, motorhomes over 3500kg and the like. On arrival at the Swiss border, the driver must obtain a paper document to permit to be in Switzerland – not just the motorways, but actually “just” being in the country . The document requires the driver to complete information about the vehicle, name and address, registration plate and so on. There is then a choice as to how many times/number of days you would like to make use of the Swiss tax system for vehicles over 3500 kg…

Using a motorhome weighing over 3500kg as an example, the choices are as follows.

1) Swiss motorway tolls pass valid for just one day – 3.25 Swiss Francs

2) Unlimited number of days within one month – 58.50 Swiss Francs

3) Unlimited number of days within a 12 month period – 650 Swiss Francs

4) Ten days worth of use within a 12 month period – 32.50 Swiss Francs. This option is probably the best one for those travelling on holiday etc.

OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Thanks very very much @emmitdb for all your very helpful information. We are 3.5 tonne and were thinking we could do the route without motorways.

We have some thinking to do might carry on to lake garda and think again. Thanks again

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Did the reverse last year - Lake Thun (Aeschi Speiz) to Lake Maggiore. Remember using the Grimsel Pass. Apart from paying for the Vignette, don't remember paying any other tolls. Sorry can't remember the exact route.

My van is 3.5 tonnes and 7.12m long and didn't have any probs. It was my first journey with the MH in the mountains too. Just had to watch the rear end swinging out into a few rocky outcrops on the bends!

I also remember that the SatNag went haywire in the mountains and kept telling me to 'Turn around when possible!" (ha-ha, not!). It seemed to happen quite a bit.... probably all the twists and turns?

Be careful if you are trying to avoid major roads in mountainous areas. I just squeezed below a natural height restriction of mountain rock on a single-track road trying to be clever. Would have had to reverse for 3km if it hadn't fitted under! :eek:

Sorry couldn't help further. Just enjoy.

James

Last edited:
OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Thanks @wingman satnag did that to us half way down the reschen pass. Stopped to make coffee enjoy the view, she pipes up " turn around":Eeek: not flipping likely!!
All was OK.

OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Be careful if you are trying to avoid major roads in mountainous areas. I just squeezed below a natural height restriction of mountain rock on a single-track road trying to be clever. Would have had to reverse for 3km if it hadn't fitted under! :eek:

Where please?

Last edited:
OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
New plan. Lake garda across Milan then into switzerland via Simplon pass, France and home.

Thanks @wingman & @emmitdb

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back