LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Having lived in the van (B644)for 11 months now and having had a good think about the rubbish/kit/essentials/just-in-case things that we carry around, we are thinking of removing the drop down bed and fitting cupboards.

We met a German couple several times while travelling around Portugal and they have done this to their 644, only they got the factory to do the alterations when ordering the van.

My question is - other that trawling through motorhome breakers, how an earth are we going to find matching cupboards for a 2000 reg van? Are they going to have to be custome made trying to match the wood the best we can.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Peter Hambilton used to do this modification but I believe he has stopped offering it now. You could contact him and see if he knows anyone else who can do it.
Link Removed

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
The ideal would be to find someone with cupboards who wants a dropdown bed.
Could try phoning round some of the dealers to see if they've got anything.
Could try asking someone like Peter Hambilton as they may have info.
I seem to remember a post not too long ago where someone was doing the same and i think it wasn't a cheap conversion.
We're lucky as we've already got the cupboards and they're certainly more use than a sparebed.
Good luck
Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I used to work in the home improvement industry designing kitchens and bedrooms and often designed rooms with two contrasting ranges. Base cupboards in one colour and wall cupboards in another. Sometimes just a few for a feature - maybe just pan drawers or a dressing table and bedside cabinets.

Rather than try to match I'd look to do a contrast that works well with the others and change a few of the existing ones at the same time to blend in. You won't need to change many of the existing ones, just something that pulls them all together.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just a thought.. will you be able to get the bed out of the van door ?

it was probably installed before the windscreen was in place..

measure carefully before starting..

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I used to work in the home improvement industry designing kitchens and bedrooms and often designed rooms with two contrasting ranges. Base cupboards in one colour and wall cupboards in another. Sometimes just a few for a feature - maybe just pan drawers or a dressing table and bedside cabinets.

Rather than try to match I'd look to do a contrast that works well with the others and change a few of the existing ones at the same time to blend in. You won't need to change many of the existing ones, just something that pulls them all together.
That's not a bad idea, we have just been taking about making the cupboards with sliding doors rather than hinged lift up doors. This would be simpler to make and safer as they will be over our heads when driving.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Just a thought.. will you be able to get the bed out of the van door ?

it was probably installed before the windscreen was in place..

measure carefully before starting..
Oh pants, never thought of that. It must come out though as others have done it.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Since Peter Hambilton used to do this conversion, I'm pretty sure the bed will go through the hab door - (might be a bu**er if the door is at the back as in B544 though).
I suspect it would help matters if the swivel seats were removed first - these will fit through the driver's door (left hand side). Also, it might be necessary to remove a table if one is fixed - this increases access and working space considerably. I have just removed mine and refitted it in order to gain access to the batteries (under the L-shaped settee).

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks JeanLuc and pandj, I will give Hambiltons a call when we get back to the UK.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
That's not a bad idea, we have just been taking about making the cupboards with sliding doors rather than hinged lift up doors. This would be simpler to make and safer as they will be over our heads when driving.
Do a Google search for tambour units/doors. They are easily accessible, reasonably priced come in kit form to fit to cabinets and look great

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Peter Hambilton used to do this modification but I believe he has stopped offering it now. You could contact him and see if he knows anyone else who can do it.
Link Removed
It's still offered on his web site.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm pretty sure the bed will go through the hab door -

yes.. I think you are right.. been out to look , will be a bit of a struggle but dooable.. with some Vaseline .. :LOL:

@Armytwowheels
We also thought about doing this when Chaz no longer comes with us but decided against because sooner or later you will either sell or trade and without the drop-down bed makes it a less attractive buy .. and limits potential buyers to couples without kids.. we also thought it would be useful for grand kids..

The other thought was, what is the gain.. ? A few lockers that you will soon fill up with 'stuff' .. in my experience no matter how many lockers you have .. you find 'stuff' to fill them.. our 36 ft RV which we full timed in was a good example.. it had literally dozens of lockers that all ended up full of 'stuff' .. and when we sold it it , it literally took days to empty them.. and some of the 'stuff' hadn't seen the light of day for several years...

Your choice of course.. just my thoughts.. :)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You will lighten the van though. I was surprised when weighing it fully laden last summer, that there was less spare capacity on the front axle than the rear.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I think we will lighten the van too, as we have already taken the mattress out and store all our ski clothes and wet suites up there. I keep our few winter clothes that we need with us. Oh and a couple of body boards too!! I am sure all this would fit in the new lockers but we would be lighter with out the bed and all it's workings.

As for resale value, we would not get rid of the bed and Colin will construct the new cupboards in a way that we could take them out again and reinstall the bed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back