Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
My headlamp bulbs last for about 2 months and I can't figure it out. I don't touch the glass with my fingers; I've tried expensive and cheap bulbs.

Any clues or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Base vehicle is Fiat Ducato 2.3 jtd

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you have a meter check the battery voltage

After a run, and before you turn off the van, get someone to hold the revs at approx 1500 to 2000 whilst you check the voltage across the battery

In the last couple of years I have found three vehicles where the alternator control regulator was pushing the voltage up to well over 15v.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Many years ago I had a Hillman Minx, magic motor, paid all of ÂŁ50.00 for it, complete with bench seat and all.
However it had a habit of the headlamps getting brighter and brighter the faster the car went, probably to a maximum of 65mph, then they would both blow, very exciting, sudden blackness.
Something to do with the Dynamo / voltage regulator, solved the problem......kept speed below 60mph!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In the last couple of years I have found three vehicles where the alternator control regulator was pushing the voltage up to well over 15v.

My car does that normally as it has a 3phase/14volt alternator !:D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yesss.. but not WELL over.. you def should not see higher than 15.2v across the battery !!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If you have a meter check the battery voltage

After a run, and before you turn off the van, get someone to hold the revs at approx 1500 to 2000 whilst you check the voltage across the battery

That was my immediate thought! Many moons ago I had a peugeot 104, that at some point had a dodgy alternator fitted, it popped headlamps all the time. When I put in the correct alternator with the correct regulator all was fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Had a VW Polo that did that a lot. Many happy memories of changing the bolt on regulator at the side of the road. Usually noticed it by the smell.

steviebouy

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Pucklechurch, Bristol BS16 9SE, UK
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since July 2011!
Do all these lamps fail in the same way? I recall a lighting expert telling me that examination of the lamp may reveal the cause of its demise. I must say I hadn't ever given this much thought before but it made sense to me . We have all seen lamps where the glass envelope has become blackened or is coated with a black or silver substance.
Unfortunately it was so long ago that I have forgotten the symptoms that produce the results but from memory I think the white substance is caused by the envelope leaking the gas out and silvering is caused by a poor earth.
In all my years I have never heard this sort of information given by anyone else - perhaps it was all a deam?
Steve

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A poor earth .. that would cause the voltage supplied to the bulb to drop not increase.
Apart from that, yes,, blackened glass means air has got in .. The xenon or argon gas is inert and as such has nothing to burn.
When air gets in there is something to burn and that will cause the smoke that forms the black deposit.
You often see this in an environment that has a vibratory component ..

The silvering is caused by excess voltage usually.. The filament simply burns up using its own material.. The tungsten literally eats its self and then melts and goes splat !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back