May 4, 2015
Canterbury
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Hi!
I'm aware that this may have been discussed many times, but I'm rubbish at searching through forums for ideas!

Ford or fiat?
Basically we are looking at the Chausson 610 and wondered what people's thoughts were regarding the choice of base vehicle?

Comfort difference?
Fuel economy difference?
Reliability?
Cost of repairs/parts?
Specification difference?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
We have sat in both, but I would welcome some more informed opinions/advice
Cheers, Chris

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Don't know about vans, but wouldn't have a ford/Citroen/Peugeot/Volvo derived car engine given. Just my own opinion :mad::mad:

Rolo

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Leyland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
10+
Have had both Fiat and Ford base vehicles and my personal choice is the Fiat 3ltr 160 multi jet.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
In France at the moment in our new Chausson, which is a Ford 155hp Mk8 Transit jobbie and it is absolutely superb. The drive down yesterday in awful weather was just so much better than any motorhome I have driven before, like driving a car with plenty of power. I think any Ford prejudices must be based on earlier models, as the new Transit would be my choice anytime.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
No preference either way ..... think the Fiat has slightly better payload.

FIAT - fix it again tomorrow :)
FORD - fix or repair daily :)

I am joking. Both engines are powerful and reliable.

610 looks like a dream machine and we may go for that when we change our van in a few years.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had both Ford and Fiat and whilst the Fiat has a more car-like drive, our prevous Ford had a bit more omph and certainly the cruise control on it was better - it kept the speed at the level required constantly, up hill and down dale, whereas the Fiat one slows more on an incline and the speed can increase going down hill as it doesn't appear to have any 'engine braking' which the Ford has (I haven't been inside the new Ford as ours was the previous version).

Ultimately sitting in them will only tell you where all the bits and bobs are and how comfortable the seats are, you really need to have a good drive and see which you prefer.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forgot to say, specification will need to be checked with your dealer as it may be that one make comes with something that the other doesn't and vice versa, for example have they both got air-con, electric mirrors, cruise control, radios as standard, radio controls on the steering wheel etc ... ?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have a Ford 135 base that is the workhorse of Paddy and his mates, they are as tough as old boots and go on for ever suffering total neglect. There are no rearwheel drives at all now. I do want a 610 but there are some things on it I do not want some I do. The fords I think look better than the FIATS think Peppa Pig as against wily Oriental look. The ford looks odd because of the black grill if it was coloured then it would be better . The only alternatives are Mercs(mega money) and Renault. Everyone thinks Ford Transit are British but they come from Turkey or mine did.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The Ford cab always feels claustrophobic compared to the Fiat, the Fiat/Iveco engines are more refined. I've had 2 Fiats both with cruise control never had the problem Mel describes, the current one with Comformatic box is excellent.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
With todays technology is there such a thing as a bad engine in either camp ?
Both are extremely good bits of kit.
Yes, there are the occasional duff ones about ( given the amount produced it has to happen sooner or later ! ) but in general I would say they are of equal ability and worth..
So rather than look at the drive train look at the interior and see what you prefer :)
For me, it is the Fiat.. I like the lay out and the extras that come as standard.. but it is all down to personal preference rather than reliability :)

OP
OP
C

chris kingman

Free Member
May 4, 2015
Canterbury
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks all for you responses!
It seems like the majority of the adverts I see are for the fiat, however general consensus of opinions seems to favour the ford?
Tbh I'd take either at the minute!-best carry on saving my pennies! At least my wife is as keen as me - so that's the major obstacle dealt with!
I guess I need to spend a bit more time sitting in both and working out which is the most comfortable for my height (6'3") as its no fun feeling cramped on a 300+ mile trek to the south of France!

Thanks again!
Chris

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
One thing to consider Chris is your eye-line height when you sit in the driver's seat ... some people find that they end up looking at the closed sun visor rather than through the top of the windscreen! If you're long in the body this could be an issue, if you're long in the leg it shouldn't be so bad.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The new Ford seems a very good vehicle, with a 4 X 4 version at a reasonable price. I can't comment on older versions but they are generally smaller than the Fiat's.

If you want a traditional automatic it has to be a Mercedes.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Having owned and driven both, I find very little difference. I did like the dash better on the Ford, with clipboard and somewhere for the drivers drink. The Ford model from Burstner we had, did have a slightly lower seat and better eye-line than the Fiat but our 130 multijet pulls a little better uphill.They are in competition with one another for price and efficiency so rate both as equal depending on the body manufacturer.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In France at the moment in our new Chausson, which is a Ford 155hp Mk8 Transit jobbie and it is absolutely superb. The drive down yesterday in awful weather was just so much better than any motorhome I have driven before, like driving a car with plenty of power. I think any Ford prejudices must be based on earlier models, as the new Transit would be my choice anytime.

Aren't some of the 'Transit' engines Fiat units ?
Thought the 2.3 was ?
Everyone thinks Ford Transit are British but they come from Turkey or mine did.
Yes & they are setting up a new production line in Valencia now to keep up with demand.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
iv'e always been a ford man,and always wanted a ford based motorhome but after buying my 160 3.0 fiat based m/h and we recently got a mk 7 transit at work ,i very much prefer driving the fiat, the driving position is better with a decent coloured dash. I particularly dont like that anti stall feature with the transit,
i prefer to be in control of the throttle when setting off.
As for the new shape transit,,,just pug ugly,, the worst looking front iv'e ever seen.i wouldn't buy one.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
The only fault I can find with my 2011 Ford is the instrument binnacle which you cannot see in bright light as the instruments are buried down a dark tunnel and my eyes cannot adjust from bright screen to dark instruments - chance the satnav always used as a speedo! Mechanically, over 4 years I have not had one, no, not one even minor problem at all. I'd have another Ford - if I could see the instruments!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have enough trouble ticking all the other boxes - layout, payload, layout - without worrying what's carrying the thing.

OP
OP
C

chris kingman

Free Member
May 4, 2015
Canterbury
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2011
I have enough trouble ticking all the other boxes - layout, payload, layout - without worrying what's carrying the thing.

I had the same problem! But one afternoon I was passing the local motorhome dealer and they had the new chausson 610 welcome in stock, it just seemed to tick all of my wish list! - garage/plenty of internal storage/modern furnishings/4seatbelts/a fairly sizeable lounge (bigger than most of the other van in the chausson range) so plenty of room for me to lay about!/ plus you can order it with an external fold out BBQ grill!

And it is not too long either, so hopefully doesn't become too much of a nightmare down smaller roads!

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Done another 500 miles since my last post including in and around Bordeaux and have nothing but praise for the new Transit base vehicle. 6th gear is a bit of an overdrive being very long legged but that's not a criticism. It's just so nice to drive and a quantum leap better than the last model Ford (in my opinion).

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I spoke to someone last month who had traded in a Fiat based MH for the same model based on the new transit. He was very impressed by the Ford and especially how nice it was to drive.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Don't know about vans, but wouldn't have a ford/Citroen/Peugeot/Volvo derived car engine given. Just my own opinion :mad::mad:

What would you have then - just so we can pick holes in your choice. I've had 3 Volvo's and the worse problem was a clutch master cylinder that needed to be replaced.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
What would you have then - just so we can pick holes in your choice. I've had 3 Volvo's and the worse problem was a clutch master cylinder that needed to be replaced.
My son had a Volvo S40, 57 plate. 2 l tdi, 60k on it with full history. Nice car, all the toys etc.
Bloody thing blew it's alternator on the motorway and fried the battery. As the ignition key is not in steering colum, the steering lock came on, so you can't steer the thing. He nearly went into ditch on the side of the motorway...
Turbo went after that....
Then there was the particulate filter/dpf issue where it basically has to have some fancy dpf solution put into some container under/near the back axle....
Our daughter had a pug 407 hdi estate. 1.6. Just a pain. So it's put me off those engines that goes in the makes that I've stated in my previous post. It's just my opinion :)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
My son had a Volvo S40, 57 plate. 2 l tdi, 60k on it with full history. Nice car, all the toys etc.
Bloody thing blew it's alternator on the motorway and fried the battery. As the ignition key is not in steering colum, the steering lock came on, so you can't steer the thing. He nearly went into ditch on the side of the motorway...
Turbo went after that....
Then there was the particulate filter/dpf issue where it basically has to have some fancy dpf solution put into some container under/near the back axle....
Our daughter had a pug 407 hdi estate. 1.6. Just a pain. So it's put me off those engines that goes in the makes that I've stated in my previous post. It's just my opinion :)

I can see your concern! Locked steering could be a killer!

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
I can see your concern! Locked steering could be a killer!

On the other hand, our next door neighbour has got a 55 plate ford Galaxy tdi, it's done 160k and it's been no bother other than routine servicing.
Mind you, it's got the VW pd engine in
:)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our van (Peugeot based) has a Ford engine. They are said to be a little harsher than the Fiat engines, but having hired a Ducato van recently, they sounded and felt the same. Same Ford engine is used in the new Transits and Land Rover Defenders and others.
Just came back from Brittany in ours (430 miles) and averaged 31 mpg. Very happy with that.
Allan

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
What about fuel economy last transite was realy bad ?
At the moment I am averaging 25.5 mpg for the whole trip, but a fair amount of that has been in high winds/heavy traffic/65 mph motorway speeds with a new, tight engine and a fully loaded van (4.1 t chassis) so I am very happy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back