Biard Semi Flexible Solar Panels? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi,

Any more users happy/unhappy with semi flexible solar panels, Biard or others?

I have a space on the MH roof that only a flat panel would fit. It would also cover the old screw holes where I removed the Aerial for the Satellite dish.

There is also the weight advantage but the obvious heat issues.

Any suggestions welcome please?

Trev

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We would have liked to put the thin light weight flexi Solars on. But the Roof is corrugated . So have to put the regular solid ones on.

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have fitted three 200 W Biard standard kits to mine and 2 friends M /H
There standard kits seem to be good quality.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
i have just ordered 2 x 100watt panels but im perplexed as to how to fix them to the roof, ie silkaflex them straight on or space them off slightly to allow air flo under them. if spacig them what have others used?
i wish i could type as well as spell

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
i would stay away from flexible panels fixed directly to the roof as you dont get an air gap to cool the panels , more heat=less efficiency. just my take!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
silkaflex them straight on or space them off slightly to allow air flo under them.

You roof is unlikely to be flat enough anyway. Buy brackets or some aluminium angle and space them.

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
if i give them an air gap are they likely to oscillate (must look up the meaning of that word it sounds good) with air flowing under them?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Saw them glued straight onto a Funsters van at the Peterborough show.

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
sorry just realised i was hijacking someone elses thread.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Speak to Chris at Southern Solar Alliance, he had some flexibles on his stand at Peterborough

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Fitted two 100w Biard ones to my Hymer last year, working well(y)

001.JPG

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I think heat issue is overblown, if its hot and sunny then you don't need so much power from them anyway, I think weight and aero counteract that(y)

And I have stuck mine flat to the roof with sikaflex(y)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have had a 80 watt semi flexible sikaflexed to the roof for the last 3 years with absolutely no issues in terms of performance on negative impact on the roof. i did not want bracket type panel. the only point i would raise is that they are coated in a plastic on the solar surface and this attracts dirt so needs a wipe regularly.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
wizzer 59 thats a clean roof you have there love to know how you got it that clean.also where have you run the wiring?

@friar tuck
Sorry I've taken so long to see this, Re roof I use this to get it really clean then just a wash now and again with a good car wash keeps it clean, but use only as per instructions and wax after as it will remove all the crap and any wax ok.
Re wiring, I wanted everything to be as neat as poss so I found that siting the panels where I wanted them on the roof, if I drilled directly down the hole came just inside the cabinet doors, which in the Hymer is ideal cos they have a trim along the inside thats takes a stick on cable trunking so that it is very neat and invisible to the eye(y)
I will try and get some interior pics if I remember;)

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
We've had a Biard 100w semi flexible panel on for about eighteen months but it suddenly became very inefficient and has now stopped working. It looks ok but has gone open circuit and it appears to be a fairly common problem with these units. Going to replace it with a better quality one made by SunPower. Might be due to heat or flexing.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have an 80 watt sun power semi flexible panel in its 3rd year now, main thing i have noticed lately while giving the roof a good polish was that the " plastic coating has lost its shine, cant say i have noticed any loss of performance as yet.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I saw some recently where the plastic coating had gone quite opaque, not sure about performance.

Martin

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Apparently the latest ones are a matt finish for more efficiency and back wired.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Whilst at Norfolk show I spoke to 2 traders selling both flexi and rigid panels and asked about the pros and cons of both versions, neither of them said that flexi would cause any problems and could be stuck directly to the roof.

As I've already got a new 60w flexi I'm going to be putting in on the PVC in a day or so as we go on holiday in just over a week's time for 6 weeks!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
After fixing direct with Sikaflex, if the panel subsequently fails removal must be very difficult.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
After fixing direct with Sikaflex, if the panel subsequently fails removal must be very difficult.
Cheese wire/guitar string ...

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Cheese wire/guitar string ...
Good luck with that one. I used same to remove some angle stuck to my roof with sikaflex.......what a job that turned out to be on something 40mm wide. I wouldn't hold out much hope on something 400mm wide. Better off sticking new one directly over old panel. But then again, I think that in itself shows the advantage of using aluminum angle stuck to roof, panels are easily replaced. I am also one with the opinion a ventilated panel should be more efficient. Whether that is or isn't correct matters not really its all down to personal preference I suppose.
One thing I do know though, when stuck with Sikaflex (correctly) it's well and truly stuck. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Good luck with that one. I used same to remove some angle stuck to my roof with sikaflex.......what a job that turned out to be on something 40mm wide. I wouldn't hold out much hope on something 400mm wide. Better off sticking new one directly over old panel. But then again, I think that in itself shows the advantage of using aluminum angle stuck to roof, panels are easily replaced. I am also one with the opinion a ventilated panel should be more efficient. Whether that is or isn't correct matters not really its all down to personal preference I suppose.
One thing I do know though, when stuck with Sikaflex (correctly) it's well and truly stuck. :)
Having in the past removed 2 heavily tinted skylights to replace them with clear ones I know just how difficult it can be to remove sealant ... it takes ruddy ages! As we have a PVC in our case the panel would only be stuck on in 'strips' due to the corrugated roof structure so would be easier to remove than on a totally flat surface, however as panels are getting so cheap and we plan on keeping our PVC for quite a while, I doubt in the future whether I'd bother removing it to put on another van anyway.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
As we have a PVC in our case the panel would only be stuck on in 'strips' due to the corrugated roof structure so would be easier to remove than on a totally flat surface,
I totally agree, the corrugations would certainly work in your favour and provide a bit of airflow too. My problem wasn't moving panels to a new van, rather, removing the extremely poor botch job brackets strewn across the roof of the new to us van.
I also know what you mean about cost of panels, I have sold my last three caravans having fitted 100W and 200W panels and left them on for the new buyer. :)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I've changed my Biard 100w panel without much problem, whole job took about 2 hours.

I put the first one on with Sikaflex 2 years ago and it failed at the end of a trip in June. Ive no idea why it failed but it just stopped producing power.

I considered the options and decided to fit another identical one to cover all the silicon. So very carefully got a small block of wood and worked my largest wood chisel under a corner, carefully working more and more loose, once I could get a grip with my hands it came off relatively easily. put the sikaflex around the edges and in a grid on the new one in the same way and fitted it excatly where the old one was and used the old wires to pull the new wires through the gland and joined them back up inside.

No big deal as a job and new one is working fine so far.
Jon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back