Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We have a problem with our Oyster 85cm dish.
We have got a message on our Oyster box saying "LNB Failure"
Is it a job I could do myself? I have no experience of working on dishes or
would it be better to go to a repairer.
Is it possible to fit a higher sensitivity LNB ours is 0.3db. If so where is the best place to get a replacement?
Is it possible to fit an auto skew unit? ours is the old manual one.

I met seanno in Spain and he recommended an internet addition, but I cannot locate the necessary arm on the website he sent me to. I tried PMing him but kept getting an error message.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Very easy to change the LNB, it's simply unscrewing 2 screws which hold the LNB to the arm and unscrewing the coax cable. Just make sure you place the new LNB at the same angle as your old one (cable should be approx at 35 minutes on a clock face as you look at your dish)

I changed mine for a twin LNB set up and had to modify all the cable etc and looked into an auto skew but was advised that it could not be done as the trickery is all done by the main control box.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would check the LNB connection first... may just be loose or even damp at the plug

otherwise as above.. easy enough to change

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Guys, if you are in this neck of the woods and would like to call in I have a spare ( or two ! ) and can sort out any other issue you might have if it aint the lnb

All it would cost is about a tenner ( the price of the LNB ) no matter what..

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Thank you all. I had a look at it this morning to get the details. I was unsure if it came with the coax as it looked like a moulded connection to the unit. I have seen one online at £15.99 and have contacted them to make sure it is compatible. It has NF of 0.1db the old unit was NF 0.3db

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The lower the number the better it is.. So for instance fitting that will, with any luck at all, get you Sky right down to the southern tip of Spain ( we got the full Sky package apart from beeb and ITV while down there in jan/feb/march this year (y)

A .1 is always a good investment !!

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The lower the number the better it is.. So for instance fitting that will, with any luck at all, get you Sky right down to the southern tip of Spain ( we got the full Sky package apart from beeb and ITV while down there in jan/feb/march this year (y)

A .1 is always a good investment !!
Thanks Jaws

We don't use Sky. We have an EagleBox HD Mini freesat box which runs fine on 12v.
I have been looking at this one http://www.automateuk.com/satellite...r-satellite-repairs/universal-single-lnb.html

I have contacted them to see if it is compatible. I also contacted Oyster-Tech info@oystersat-tech.co.uk

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have just changed my Oyster LNB from a single to a twin LNB this weekend, one thing you need to be aware of is that you will need to get a universal LNB & not an oval shaped LNB. The oval ones are for Sky mini dishes and will not work with the round Oyster dishes. Just for info the one I bought was a Technomate TM-2 universal twin LNB from Amazon. You also need to get one that has a short body housing or the dish will not close properly.

See photo for details.

Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 33

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks Jaws

We don't use Sky. We have an EagleBox HD Mini freesat box which runs fine on 12v.
I have been looking at this one http://www.automateuk.com/satellite...r-satellite-repairs/universal-single-lnb.html

I have contacted them to see if it is compatible. I also contacted Oyster-Tech info@oystersat-tech.co.uk

We have a 12v Pace box we use for Sky in the van so similar set up really :)

The oval ones are for Sky mini dishes

Mike, cannot be 100% sure but I believe you would be hard pushed to find an LNB for the mini dish that has .1dB noise figures :)
I have never seen one thats for sure !

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have a 12v Pace box we use for Sky in the van so similar set up really :)

Mike, cannot be 100% sure but I believe you would be hard pushed to find an LNB for the mini dish that has .1dB noise figures :)
I have never seen one thats for sure !

You are probably correct, I was making the point that if using a round dish the LNB has to be the round type and not the oval one, I learned this because I ordered the wrong one from Amazon (returned without a problem)
Oyster Tech pointed me in the right direction & I now have a twin LNB running to my Humax box.

Mike

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I would like to thank all those who replied and offered helpful advice. This morning I got the ladder out again and put the dish up. It locked into the last position and came up with the LNB failure message. I pulled and pushed at the connection where the wire went in and the dish sprung into action and locked in a new position 180 degrees from the other. We turned the set and box on and the signal was back.

Just at this point my phone rang and it was a call from Automate who were advertising an LNB at £15.99 plus delivery. Broken Link Removed He was very helpful and still offered help and information even though I had told him it was now working.

I had been parked in Clumber Park (not the CC site) when the LNB failed after it had been working. I got to wondering if one of the squirrels had been at it.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
More info from Oyster.
Good afternoon Mr Thompson,
LNB failure is normally caused by a short on the LNB feed. Usually I find that it is the connection at the LNB that is shorting but it could well be any of the three connections (LNB, underside of roof unit or Vision brain unit connection) or even the LNB it's self as the LNB you have is not the standard one that the unit would of been supplied with.
The easiest way to determine the fault is by doing a voltage test at the LNB. To do this turn the system on and wait until it displays "LNB Failure" then go up on the roof and unscrew the connector from the LNB. If the dish starts to move when you do this then it's definitely that connector that's causing the problem but if not then test the voltage coming up over the centre pin and outer casing of the connector (12v setting). You should be getting a reading of 13 or 18 volts. If you are then it's more than likely the LNB and if not then there is a break in the cable somewhere so the next step would be to unbolt the unit from the roof, disconnect the coax from the recess on the underside and test again. If no voltage there test the Oyster brain unit to make sure there is voltage being sent out.
With the LNB we normally use 0.2db MTI supreme line but I would recommend getting an Inverto black ultra or Invacom LNB which are both high gain LNB's designed for use where the signal is not very strong. Either of these would give you better reception in Spain but I can't promise you'd get everything from the UK.
I'm back in the office Monday at 9am so please feel free to give me a call on the numbers below if you require further assistance.
Kind Regards,
Anthony Read
Senior Technical Advisor
Oyster Sat-Tech
Unit 5
Hemploe Business Park
Hemploe Road
Welford
Northamptonshire
NN6 6HF
Office: 01858575928
Mobile: 07979745688

This is interesting as far as I knew it was original spec. Conrad Anderson and Jacksons have both had the units off for servicing. No mention of any replacement LNB being required or fitted.

Drive shaft snapped when awning and safari room blew over van. Conrad Anderson stripped unit and replaced the shaft.
Dry joint on arm and squeaking noise on rotation. unit serviced by Jacksons.

The LNB I have fitted was 0.3db which they say is not standard. I have found the one recommended above by Oyster
LNB Manufacturer Inverto
INVERTO Black Prem
LNB Model SINL40-PREMU
LNB Type Single Interface 40mm Collar
Gain 55dB - Noise Figure 0.2dB
Price Was £8.49 now £4.49(Inc. VAT)

This unit however seems to be better with higher gain and lower noise value.
Universal Single LNB from Automate
40mm Collar
Gain 60dB(TYP) - Noise Figure 0.1dB
Price £15.99 (Inc. VAT)

I would like the opinion of those with more experience before I order a new one in the hope I will get better reception while in Spain.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Hi there folks, I'm not trying to put a dampener on your hopes but the further South you head from Calais the less BRITISH TV your going to get,you'll get most of your sky package but you can forget itv,bbc,in Spain unless youv've got something like a 3 metre dish,as for your LNB fault I had the same problem myself two years ago and as has been suggested on this thread it is the Coax at the connection to the LNB,with the constant up and down movement the coax starts to break up inside and if you're very good with a soldering iron the coax cable needs "tinning",if you wiggle the coax where it joins the LNB you will get a signal,but very shortly you will get nothing at all,I had mine done at a M/home dealership in Ireland as I'm pretty u/s with a soldering iron,it was just under an hours work and cost me 60 euros,but I don't think it will be too difficult for you,hope this helps,gwyntaxi.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Given the small difference in price compared with the effort of replacing it I'd go for the better LNB of the two. If the fault proves to be the coax keep the LNB as a spare.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Given the small difference in price compared with the effort of replacing it I'd go for the better LNB of the two. If the fault proves to be the coax keep the LNB as a spare.
Bleedin typical G7.. Only reads half of anything LOL !!!

Post number 12.. tis fixed.. was a loose feed coax issue mate ;)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I think the LNB failed this time due to the fear of the consequences of a Labour/SNP/LNB coalition.

The LNB got no votes and are all washed up in my opinion.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi there folks, I'm not trying to put a dampener on your hopes but the further South you head from Calais the less BRITISH TV your going to get,you'll get most of your sky package but you can forget itv,bbc,in Spain unless youv've got something like a 3 metre dish,as for your LNB fault I had the same problem myself two years ago and as has been suggested on this thread it is the Coax at the connection to the LNB,with the constant up and down movement the coax starts to break up inside and if you're very good with a soldering iron the coax cable needs "tinning",if you wiggle the coax where it joins the LNB you will get a signal,but very shortly you will get nothing at all,I had mine done at a M/home dealership in Ireland as I'm pretty u/s with a soldering iron,it was just under an hours work and cost me 60 euros,but I don't think it will be too difficult for you,hope this helps,gwyntaxi.
Hi gwyntaxi. We have been full timing from 2009 spending winters in Spain or Portugal. We are well aware of the satellite position, but in some areas we visit we can just about get a signal at present. The local suppliers there are recommending and selling 1.4m diameter, high gain dishes, so as tonyidle says a higher gain/lower noise LNB should help.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back