French Dentist (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
In France at the moment going towards Cahors and have developed a rather nasty tooth ache with I think an infected gum. I have decided to find a dentist and will probably go to a tourist information office to seek one out who English. Just wondering if anyone had experience of French dentists or any tips they might like to offer.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Ian, if you have some whisky get a mouthfull and blow ( with mouth shut) this will drive the alcohol into the affected gums and kill the infection, been using this method for 40 years and it works every time after a couple of hours its always relieved the pain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Ian, if you have some whisky get a mouthfull and blow ( with mouth shut) this will drive the alcohol into the affected gums and kill the infection, been using this method for 40 years and it works every time after a couple of hours its always relieved the pain.

I'd hazard a guess that your "teeth" are the sort you place in a glass by the bed at night...:censored::)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I managed to chip a tooth when we were in France a couple of years ago. I went to the tourist information office (we were at Charleville Mezieres at the time) and asked them if they knew of a dentist that could speak a bit of English.

After quite a few phone calls they found one that could see me straight away and just a short walk away. I soon got my tooth fixed. When it came to payment the dentist and I went to see the receptionist to sort out how much but she wasn't at her desk so he said not to worry about paying.

I bought a decent bottle of plonk for the dentist and some biscuits for the tourist office girls.

Best advice I can give is to ask at the tourist information office, they always seem very helpful.

Paul

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
The few experiences we have had with French dentists highlighted one very important difference to UK ones.

They don't like giving you that little needle in the gum to deaden the teeth.

After peeling you off the ceiling for the third time you might be asked if you want an injection but even then it's a lot smaller dose than we get at home.

If you can last until you are across the water I would.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Well how to explain......Les didn't catch the bottle of suntan lotion I threw for him in his hands, instead he caught it in his front teeth. 1 broken tooth and 1 damaged crown. Oops. Went to dentist filled the gap, removed old crown (that was interesting to watch) new crown fitted (ceramic) far better job than at home. Cost 660 euros. Sent forms in to NHS with the receipts and got full refund - bargain! Would have cost that at home anyway.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Thanks chaps, I will certainly try the whiskey, either it will help or I won't care any more.When I do go to a dentist I will lay back, grab his balls and say"We arn't going to hurt each other are we ?"
Top man(y)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
I'd hazard a guess that your "teeth" are the sort you place in a glass by the bed at night...:censored::)
nah Andew, they're still in place allthough immersed regularly in the nectar to stave off possible infection :whistle: I have not seen a dentist for many years now and don't intend to until the lot need removing.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
The few experiences we have had with French dentists highlighted one very important difference to UK ones.

They don't like giving you that little needle in the gum to deaden the teeth.

After peeling you off the ceiling for the third time you might be asked if you want an injection but even then it's a lot smaller dose than we get at home.

If you can last until you are across the water I would.
That is such a shame . I have had an amazing dentist here for the last 10 years. Was always afraid if the dentist but here no problem. He now has Parkinson's so not working but saw his replacement last week and again no problems . Might be worth trying another .

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Went to one French dentist while I lived there ----never, ever would I go to another.
He nodded at the chair---I took that to mean sit. He'd actually looked at my chipped tooth in the corridor while I was booking the appointment.
Started to drill immediately, no anaesthetic, no gloves. The filling was awful--like a piece of chewing gum stuck to the back of the tooth and squidged through. I'm sure they're not all that bad but I would look at other options before just walking into one.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
That is such a shame . I have had an amazing dentist here for the last 10 years. Was always afraid if the dentist but here no problem. He now has Parkinson's so not working but saw his replacement last week and again no problems . Might be worth trying another .
It was my better half's experience with the lack of needle. It was a husband and wife team in Lubersac and I had to sit in on it all as translator. I didn't translate some of the words.:whistle:
When I lost a filling later I found an English guy in St Yrieix and he was the best dentist ever. I was tempted to use him for my permanent man and see him while over on holiday but he got ill and retired.
God knows where we would go in an emergency but I know where we won't go.:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back