Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It’s May the 7th, the country is off to the polls. A coincidence when this morning I found myself sat on the loo looking at the committee nominations for a well known motorhome club. Little bio’s of those putting themselves forward for some ‘power’ telling the voter about themselves and their history with the club while urging members why they should vote for them. :)

This got me thinking, We are often asked by potential Funsters at shows about our ‘committees’ and our organisational Structure’ A typical conversation that we've heard at the Fun Stand so many times might go something like this.

“Who organises your rallies?”
“The members organise them themselves”

“Yes but who’s in charge?”
“well no one, it just sort of happens”
“It can’t just happen, who makes it happen?”
“It really does just happen”
“So, who organised the entertainment in that big tent you were all in last night?
“No one, it just happened’ The people in the band weren’t booked or ‘arranged’ they just turned up and had fun.
‘I don’t buy that, someone must organise it and be in charge”
“No not really, everything is peer to peer, members organise everything between themselves, but they are not told what to do. We facilitate in as much we get all the members in one place in cyberspace and they just get on with it ”
“So how can it work without a committee making decisions?”
“It really does work. members have gone out and got club discounts, organised rallies to Morocco, Spain, Portugal and all over the UK, they help each other out, share information, make each other laugh, share their experiences and that’s just the start”
“Ok it sounds good, I think we might join but I still don’t believe you can run a club without a committee”
"You’ll soon see how it works!"

Would the fun Free For All way of going about things be good for the country, probably not, but it certainly works here. VOTE FUN!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Little bio’s of those putting themselves forward for some ‘power’ telling the voter about themselves and their history with the club while urging members why they should vote for them.
OH YES.........And there lies the crux. (y) Just an escape from reality. Today's Rally Marshall or Club President is tomorrows nobody. The 'rank' means nothing, except in the rank holders mind.(y)(y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have tried time and again to explain to folk the same things..

It is notable that people of a certain age ( proly 50+ ) can quickly grasp the concept.. And at the other end of the scale, those from maybe 20 to 30 too

It is the middle lot that get baffled..
The younger folk have not been brow beaten in to acceptance of the notion things can run without others ordering them about, while the older ones have learned not to give a stuff about who THINKS they are in charge !!

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Jim, we had exactly that conversation with two high ranking officials of another motorcaravanning club whilst in Spain a few weeks ago. It's a small world isn't it.
Brisey & Pamelaaar.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I found myself struggling for inspiration when explaining the setup to a lady at the Peterborough MHF tent. People seem so sceptical when you say it's all organised by the members themselves.

No, there's no committee; no one to bollock you for not parking to a peg correctly, BUT it doesn't just happen either. Without Jim & Sian and the volunteers, MHF wouldn't exist!

It's soooo difficult to explain to prospective joiners WHY someone would want to give their time to sit in the wind and then bound out full of cheer when I arrive to park me up! Why those persons would do that until 9pm for nothing. No pay, no committee badge, no preferential gain.

Why would someone sit at 5am babysitting a new website? Why would someone stand dishing out bacon butties on a Sunday for now't?

My 'X' goes to them on this Election Day. Vote FUN!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Thats the attraction jim of your club
We all have to conform to rules and regs
throughout our lives so leisure time is so important which you understand and thats why fun is as it is.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Read all the posts! and they are all, right, so!

I'm gonna have a moan now! Brace yerselves!

The trouble with Fun is;-
-
-
-
-
-
There,s nothing for me to moan about:doh:

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
We're all here to have fun, follow the few rules, and to help each other. None of us think that we're above the others or better than anyone else (well, some might :LOL:) so we have nothing to fear and nothing to prove and are free (within reason) to say what we really feel.

Unfortunately this wouldn't work for a country because there's always someone who wants to be boss, there's always a group that are elitists and there's always some that expect everything to be provided by others. All these traits are not accepted in this forum and any member who exhibits such behaviour soon leaves.

That's what I think anyway.
:party:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We were "canvassed" about a potential compliant about the noise that Fun makes.:party2:

They went off with their tail between their legs when we happily told them that we were in the tent helping make the noise :moon2: and that the only club were interested in is Motorhome FUN

So it gets out vote :restmycase:

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
committee, committee, I spoke to a member on the committee in chester he told me that I was on the committee as well and then we are all on the committee I asked what rank I was ,below your wife but must take orders off her stop drinking stop taking collect water, empty the toilet, clean the m/h walk the dogs ,pay for the meet, I would like to be taken off the committee asap lol ray

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Exact same thing happened when I was in the Fun Tent, someone from another club came along asking how Fun worked and I really did try and explain, he did sign up to join us but could not think it works without a committee.
One way these things just happen, your chatting to some of the girls, are you going to Stratford yes I say and a few others, Polly @toledo says there is free racing again this year, yes says I quite a few of us got dressed up, Polly says why not have a Race Fun lady's day and get dressed up (maybe with Hats) then it gets put on the Stratford thread eventually, things just evolve no one in charge it just happens.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think it's just the way some people are.

I come across them in work. They want a meeting about this or that when there isn't a need for a meeting because the decision is blindingly obvious. It's the same with f****ing internal emails about the need for an office to be painted at a cost of £30 or should we look for a second quote.

I have lost count of the times that I have said to very senior people that they are wasting mine and their time by farting about with emails of that sort when they should be working to earn money.

Drives me potty.

Anyway, rant over.

I think we need a committee to decide if meets should be run by committees or not.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think that's probably advisable. We should probably send some emails to determine who to invite to the meeting. Or do you think it needs a pre-meeting meeting?

Perhaps we should meet first to make sure we are on the same page.

After that lets put a record on and see who dances:D

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I was communication support at A Bristol city council meeting between three departments once. Meeting started 9.45 so no work was done for first 45 minutes of the day as they all had to get their coffees and catch up on gossip before the meeting.

The meeting was about how to divvy up the shelves of a metal cabinet between the departments. I was dumbfounded that a meeting had to be convened to work that out, and even more dumbfounded when after an hour and a quarter they still hadn't agreed on who should get which shelf! Comments by email were invited and a decision would be made by the senior officers in the next couple of weeks! Meeting over then..... Back to their desks to start the day's work at 11 o'clock - Not quite..... 11 o'clock was time for coffee break - and every single one of them retired to the staff kitchen to have a coffee and continue catching up on gossip before their day started! Wouldn't mind but it was the Council = so we pay their wages! :mad:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I think we need a committee to decide if meets should be run by committees or not.

I'll second that.........Griff

Perhaps a committee should be formed to come up with some nominees?

........and that!

I nominate Shuggy and acting strange, they should have overall command.

Bill the Drill sorry Happy Brewer, he can take the minutes, and ShiftZZ should chair it because he has a calming influence on all matters.

ChrisGreen should provide the generator via perpetual motion so saving the club valuable beer tokens and JJ can organise the best campsite prize because he knows so much about campsite etiquette and the like.

Freeloading Tossers will not be welcome and we will fetch Yosser back to Bounce the door.

Any other nominations?

What about GJH organising all the overseas meets?

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I'll second that.........Griff

........and that!

I nominate Shuggy and acting strange, they should have overall command.

Bill the Drill sorry Happy Brewer, he can take the minutes, and ShiftZZ should chair it because he has a calming influence on all matters.

ChrisGreen should provide the generator via perpetual moting so saving the club valuable beer tokens and JJ can organise the best campsite prize because he knows so much about campsite etiquette and the like.

Freeloading Tossers will not be welcome and we will fetch Yosser back to Bounce the door.

Any other nominations?

What about GJH organising all the overseas meets?
Canopus for diplomatic Relations
No one can sort out the frogs and krauts like Ken

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back