Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Hi
Not knowing anything about electrics :Blush:
On searching for one of these cables on the auction sites I noticed that it stated 16amp 200-250v,also that is it suitable for weather -25 and as we hope to go skiing next season wondered, does this mean when camping and the site states that they have 6amp /10 amp hookup that we wont be able to use it, do we need cables for each

Ebay item 260353263275(sorry dont know how to link)

Could anyone recommend what I should be looking for if incorrect please or point me in the direction of a thread that covers this, (sorry I have tried to find before posting)

thanx
champers

OP
OP
champers

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Thank you Wildman, I started to wonder where all those cables were going to be stored:ROFLMAO:

champers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi its the plugs that change, most countries have their own version, although the blue europlugs are gradually being introduced.

So get some adaptors. Here's one at O'Leary's Link Removed

Click products and go down to electrical.

Olley

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
If you are going to spend time on the continent or Morocco you will need an adaptor to convert from the standard European domestic outlet to a socket you can plug your standard blue Europlug into.
So far in around 15 countries, that is the only adaptor I've needed. Wildcamped mostly in the UK so can't comment other than the two campgrounds we did use had the europlug outlets anyway. Maybe the eastern bloc countries are different. I'll find out next year.

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If you are going to spend time on the continent or Morocco you will need an adaptor to convert from the standard European domestic outlet to a socket you can plug your standard blue Europlug into.
So far in around 15 countries, that is the only adaptor I've needed. Wildcamped mostly in the UK so can't comment other than the two campgrounds we did use had the europlug outlets anyway. Maybe the eastern bloc countries are different. I'll find out next year.

LIke this,

Link RemovedLink Removed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Maybe the eastern bloc countries are different. I'll find out next year.

I can tell you now that in the Eastern Bloc it's usual for the Live and Neutral to be the opposite of the UK i.e. Looking from the 'back' of the connector the Live will be on the left and the Neutral on the right. So an adapter like the one made by someone on here recently will be useful 'tho not absolutely essential.

As a matter of interest three phase is very common in Czechland but let's not get into all that ::bigsmile: The few camp sites that are around will likely offer only single phase.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
champers

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Thank you all for your advice, :thumb:

I now understand alot more about the 25m cable (its just someone had suggested to me I use the yellow cable, cause of the flexibility when freezing on departure) i am just working out the diff adaptors needed now and it will be all lights ablazing:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

thanx again champers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi champer, Artic cable is normally blue.

Olley

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
One point about EHU cables.

I had an 18 m almost red coloured cable that was very flexible when cold and easy to roll up.

I decided that it was not long enough and bought a 25 m orange cable. This cable is very stiff and difficult to wind up even when warm and almost impossible when cold.

It's impossible to check the quality of the cable when buying it on the net and not very easy when buying it in a shop when it is sealed in a bag.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Yellow cable is usually site voltage 110v via a transformer.
Use only Acrtic blue or the standard orange cable. If you buy a yellow cable with plugs on the end,if they are yellow they have offset pins,this is to prevent them bveing used on 240v.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
champers

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
The plot thickens:ROFLMAO: Now I have red, yellow, blue and orange cables, just when i thought it was sorted :Doh: reminds me of a song somehow, seriously though, think as stated by djchapple that the quality cant be checked online and some auction sites will sell you anything ref to the yellow cable as bigfoot explained is not right for us, seems wiser to wait until the Carmarthen show

thanx all for your advice and info

champers

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thank you all for your advice, :thumb:

I now understand alot more about the 25m cable (its just someone had suggested to me I use the yellow cable, cause of the flexibility when freezing on departure) i am just working out the diff adaptors needed now and it will be all lights ablazing:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

thanx again champers

we use 110v yellow 'site' cables at work and in winter we dont even bother trying to coil them up.....just bundle them in the van as they are.
if they are really cold and try to coil them too tight you could split the outer casing.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I always had trouble coiling up the orange cable in cold weather so I made myself two new cables with arctic blue cable, much easier. I made one 10 metres length - just right for at home and reaches on some sites, to save fighting with the big one, and a 25 metre for most sites. For those awkward sites where the EHU tower is a long way away, they can be connected, have only needed to do that on one site.

The knowledgeable chaps in the electrical factors said 16 amp cable was fine for the 10 metre one but recommended a higher amperage for the longer one to avoid voltage drop, I can't remember offhand now what size it is, but it's thicker than the 16 amp.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi a standard 25metre 2.5mm2 cable will have a voltage drop of 6volts if your drawing the full 16amps, and 3volts if your only drawing 8amps.

Not enough IMO to make any noticeable difference to your appliances, certainly not enough to go to a larger size. Or did they recommend this because you are using 1.5mm2 for your shorter length?

Olley

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
The plot thickens:ROFLMAO: Now I have red, yellow, blue and orange cables, just when i thought it was sorted :Doh: reminds me of a song somehow, seriously though, think as stated by djchapple that the quality cant be checked online and some auction sites will sell you anything ref to the yellow cable as bigfoot explained is not right for us, seems wiser to wait until the Carmarthen show
thanx all for your advice and info
champers

Hi Just give us a ring, one phone call will put you wise and get you on your way, cable, plug, polarity converter, the lot!:thumb:

Peter

Upvote 0
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
You can get blue artic 16A cable temp down to -20 cheap £28 for 50m 76p/metre stick a couple of plug on job done.

Click here

Upvote 0

BUTTYBOY

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
CHARENTE MARITIME
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
11 YEARS
Hi Champers. I've been skiing in france with camper for 9 years. I just use a wind-up roll of cable from Castorama(french B&Q) with 4 sockets, just like the sort of thing used by DIY people. It's OK for 13 amps which is the max you will get in a french campsite. I just unroll it all and push the reel underneath the camper. You could wrap it in a plastic bag if you want but I have never had to. I made a short lead that plugs into the reel (French 16amp plug) with a connector to plug into the camper socket. All power cable generates a very small amount of heat so it gradually sinks into the snow, so each day I pull the cable out of the snow so that it cannot get frozen underground. It rolls up perfectly even when very cold. :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
champers

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Thank you all for the great suggestions of how to go regarding the hook up cable, hubby did suggest making one up, admittedly we hadnt thought to buy any cable whilst in France, but I would prefer the ready made style (I am a bit of a worrier regarding electrics)

We thought perhaps to visit Johns_Cross_Motorhomes stand at a show

Olley no they just said " why not the yellow as it was the same price"

champers

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back