Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi folks, thinking about when we go to europe, if we take two 6 kg bottles of gas and mainly have EHU and only use gas for cooking how long would they last, approximately of course, thanks Kevin

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Kevin
I can't give you exact figures but going from experience we used to do a lot of cooking in our caravan we spent about 6-7 weeks away per year and didn't even use one bottle, since getting the MH we swapped over to lightweight propane gas canisters and these have a gauge on them, sorry I can't help further
Dave

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
It's a bit like a piece of string question Kevin. However, I've got two 6kg cylinders and toured France, Switzerland and Italy last year for 3 weeks and only used one cylinder and we didn't scrimp. Mind you, that was staying on sites and EHU mostly.

It depends on whether you bash the gas for the fridge and cooking etc when off grid.

You are right to raise this though because of the unavailability of UK type 6kg gas cyl's over there.

Others will follow my post and give other helpful estimates.
James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We brought an adaptor from bull finch gas that fits intermarch bottles in case we ran out of gas, but 5 weeks last October in France 2 x 6 kg bottles lasted us

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kevingrc

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks everyone, most helpful, was considering gasit bottles but I don't think we'll be lucky enough to be away long enough to need them,

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We have two 6kg bottles and used approx 9kg in 3 weeks in Europe last summer without any EHU and had an issue with the fridge which used more gas than normal. Just used gas for cooking, heating water and the fridge.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kevingrc

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
By the way Wingman you were right, I needn't of panicked about the purchase of our Majestic 155, we are over the moon with it, sat in it now in Snowdonia right now, cheers pal, Kevin

Upvote 0

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
if you were only using gas for cooking then 2x6kg would last 6 months + but use it for hot water and fridge more like 3 months. and if heating as well.......not long

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
PHWELL!! How's about that @Kevingrc .
I'm so pleased that YOU are pleased and thanks for the feedback.
Nothing worse than 'recommending' a van and the new owners don't like it!

I had a look around the vans at the Peterborough show and the 155 was better than most, in terms of features and value.

I'm jealous that you're out in it. My next sortie is up to Norfolk in a few weeks time, so she's sitting on my front at the moment.

Regards both
James

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
if you were only using gas for cooking then 2x6kg would last 6 months + but use it for hot water and fridge more like 3 months. and if heating as well.......not long

We are pretty frugal with gas but we couldn't get 3 weeks on one 6kg bottle let alone 6 weeks when using our fridge and cooker on our European trips. I guess that the EHU makes a big difference but we have never needed it on the continent and the extra price of lecky appears to exceed the cost of gas.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We don't use sites or EHU and find that on average we use about 1litre of gas a day for cooking and the fridge, with the occasional bit of heating thrown in for good measure! If you are using EHU for the fridge and also take an electric ring/hob with you too, along with electric kettle, toaster etc, your gas will last a loooooonnnnggggggggg time!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not much help for your question but maybe add some perspective. We have 2 x 11kg bottles and Alde heating. When we were away over the new year with no EHU we used a bottle and a half in about a week. It was bloody cold out though (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kevingrc

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are pretty frugal with gas but we couldn't get 3 weeks on one 6kg bottle let alone 6 weeks when using our fridge and cooker on our European trips. I guess that the EHU makes a big difference but we have never needed it on the continent and the extra price of lecky appears to exceed the cost of gas.
Hi Matty, we're not worried about price of gas v leccy but just wondering if we will have enough gas with 2 bottles otherwise we'll have to sort something else out, cheers pal.

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi Matty, we're not worried about price of gas v leccy but just wondering if we will have enough gas with 2 bottles otherwise we'll have to sort something else out, cheers pal.

I would suggest 12 days per bottle in warm conditions if you are heating water in a kettle, cooking one simple meal a day, using a fridge and do not have EHU. Others will use more gas.

How long are you going for and what is the weather expected to be like?

If on EHU for most of the time, as suggested above, take a portable hob so you'll use very little gas.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kevingrc

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Matty, duration is uncertain at the moment, many things affect this, hope weather will be hot and intend to be on EHU all the time if available and I'll be amazed if I get one cooked meal a day, cheers

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi Matty, duration is uncertain at the moment, many things affect this, hope weather will be hot and intend to be on EHU all the time if available and I'll be amazed if I get one cooked meal a day, cheers

Get a portable electric hob for most of your cooking and a portable gas hob so that you can sit outside and boil water for your coffee making. As above, your gas bottles will last for months if on ehu.

Out of interest, what will you use on hookup?

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We had 4 weeks in Europe last year and used some gas for cooker but ran the fridge on gas most of the time and gas for water heater. We used a camping gaz 907 bottle on the BBQ and cal or propane 11 or is it 13 Kgs and had plenty left when we got home. Sometimes on EHU but about half not.

A 907 might be a good way to go initially for the BBQ as you can of course exchange those abroad for a full one. Keep the van gas for the fridge cooker and water, if it's summertime and you should be ok.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
I bought a french bottle last year 'Butagas Le Cube' so don't have to worry about running out. Also backup camping gaz bottle but these little sods cost a fortune for refills! but are easily obtained in most super marches. Your 2 cylinders should easily cover 2 to 3 weeks with fridge set on low.

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi
Interesting Thread, Consumption depends on too many variables to be accurate. However The last winter we had in Spain (2008-9) I seem to recall having about a week to 10days out of an 11kg propane (10E Exchange / refill). I cooked outside almost exclusively on a Beuclare BBQ. the heating when needed was a 2Kw Fan heater, in the evenings. And an occasional "boost" with the Gas unit in a cold snap. The camp-sites where, many of them, Changing over to metered electricity, at that time?, largely due to people wasting fuel by leaving heaters on in unattended awnings!!!.

Pete

Upvote 0

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
Hi
Interesting Thread, Consumption depends on too many variables to be accurate. However The last winter we had in Spain (2008-9) I seem to recall having about a week to 10days out of an 11kg propane (10E Exchange / refill). I cooked outside almost exclusively on a Beuclare BBQ. the heating when needed was a 2Kw Fan heater, in the evenings. And an occasional "boost" with the Gas unit in a cold snap. The camp-sites where, many of them, Changing over to metered electricity, at that time?, largely due to people wasting fuel by leaving heaters on in unattended awnings!!!.

Pete
Hi Pete seems to me that your using a hell of a lot of gas, I used to use them exchange refills spent 100s of pounds doing it too then a friend to me about a place at thirsk I had a 22ltr bottle fitted £300 Ive had that money back four fold last time that I to fill up 5 weeks ago and I use my van a lot away almost every W/end 10.25p 18ltrs local garage. get refillable save money. happy motoring

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi Pete seems to me that your using a hell of a lot of gas, I used to use them exchange refills spent 100s of pounds doing it too then a friend to me about a place at thirsk I had a 22ltr bottle fitted £300 Ive had that money back four fold last time that I to fill up 5 weeks ago and I use my van a lot away almost every W/end 10.25p 18ltrs local garage. get refillable save money. happy motoring

Not Really. US R-V`s are notorious for their Inefficiency! . Especially the older ones. made in a time when "Gas" was cheap!. I lived in one for 2+ years full time whilst Building a House. UK winter time we went through a 19kg Cylinder every week!! I actually went to using 40kg ones before I finished!!. I think some of the "locals" thought WE where "Itinerants"!!!.

Pete

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Well if it helps, we did 3 weeks around Europe last year, including 5 days at the Belgian grand prix, where there was no EHU. We did have a generator which we ran for about an hour a day, but in general the fridge was working from gas, and some of the cooking was done on gas (we carry a gas BBQ which was where most of the meals were cooked).
When we got back, we had only used one 6kg bottle, and it wasn't completely empty!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kevingrc

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Get a portable electric hob for most of your cooking and a portable gas hob so that you can sit outside and boil water for your coffee making. As above, your gas bottles will last for months if on ehu.

Out of interest, what will you use on hookup?
Hi Matty, I intend to use hook up for hot water, heating, fridge, kettle, toaster and to keep battery charged , will keep gas use to a minimum,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kevingrc

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
I bought a french bottle last year 'Butagas Le Cube' so don't have to worry about running out. Also backup camping gaz bottle but these little sods cost a fortune for refills! but are easily obtained in most super marches. Your 2 cylinders should easily cover 2 to 3 weeks with fridge set on low.
Hi Vin do the butane le cube fit without adapters, just want an idea for if we run out, cheers Kevin

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi Matty, I intend to use hook up for hot water, heating, fridge, kettle, toaster and to keep battery charged , will keep gas use to a minimum,

I hope that you have a great trip. Just a suggestion though; many wonderful places to stay on the continent will not have EHU and while you are fully able to travel from sites to sites with hookups, don't let a lack of them restrict you. Your battery(ies) should power your van for at a weekend or more (we get about 5 days from less than 100 Ah) unless you are heavy users / have heating or AC on, heating will not be required because the weather will be wonderful, toast will be forgotten after your fresh croissants and you will prefer cool water for washing because of the warmth of where you are :) . Gas is required for the fridge though - warm sparkly wine is not as nice as chilled stuff ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kevingrc

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
We brought an adaptor from bull finch gas that fits intermarch bottles in case we ran out of gas, but 5 weeks last October in France 2 x 6 kg bottles lasted us
Hi Ivory have you details of that adaptor please, sounds like the back up we need thanks Kevin

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Hi I think the part no is 1301 on bull finch gas, about a fiver. It fits on the propane hose on one end and in to the inter marche bottle the other. If you take the adaptor to the garage at inter marche and try it on the right bottle before buying it. I rang bull finch they was very helpful when I brought it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kevingrc

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi I think the part no is 1301 on bull finch gas, about a fiver. It fits on the propane hose on one end and in to the inter marche bottle the other. If you take the adaptor to the garage at inter marche and try it on the right bottle before buying it. I rang bull finch they was very helpful when I brought it.
Many thanks Ivory

Upvote 0

Deleted User
I fitted two gaslow 6kg bottles as in Europe for 6 weeks. 50% of the aires have electric and running fridge and cooking when not got electric the bottles needed filling after 4 weeks. We have heated water very occasionally. Our gas may be lasting longer than normal as bloody fridge keeps refusing to keep going under gas until switched off an on again.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Thanks everyone, most helpful, was considering gasit bottles but I don't think we'll be lucky enough to be away long enough to need them,
It's not just being away that makes Gasit sensible. The cost of Calor LPG is astronomical compared with the 52p a litre I pay.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back