All Aboard The Canal Trip . . . . . .? (1 Viewer)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Just turned on this BBC4 programme.
It's an hour of the equivanant of dash-cam footage while travelling down some obscure canal on a Narrowboat.
Wtf, it must be the most boring piece of TV ever.
No commentary just video footage.
Don't get me wrong, I love Narrowboats and lived on them for a number of years and loved the life, but 'this is supposed to be entertainment' ?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Couldn't wait for the paint to dry. It was on in the background for about 20 minutes whilst I was doing something else, but I found it boring not watching it!
And I thought canals had locks - but apparently not on this one (or they had edited them out). The highlight of the programme seemed to be the endless procession of mostly tatty narrow boats moored up. It made a crowded aire in France appear quite spacious.

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
I used to have a narrow boat as well. Managed 10 minutes before I realised I wasn't just watching the opening credits. Strange strange program. Switched over.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
I stuck a camera on the front of a canal boat once. I've got 4 hours of footage somewhere (including the Atherstone locks), if anyone is interested I'm sure I could find a way to upload it. :imoutahere:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Bbc4 are doing a week of programmes like this....it's 'slow tv'.......I wanted to watch the dawn chorus one on Monday but forgot:doh:
I only watched this for a few mins......and it's only on in the background!:RollEyes:

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
oh dear, i must be a sad sod, it was on again very early this morning for two hours, damn the insomnia, i watched the last 45 mins and thoroughly enjoyed drifting along, was gutted i'd not woken earlier to see it all..

in fact, right now with the wind and hail lashing at the house, i'd be happy to watch it all over again, at least it was filmed in sunshine and calm..

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
its better than corri or eastenders.

Anything is better than watching soaps!!!!
Anyway, shows how good this site is. We love canals and intact that program is recorded on the Kennet and Avon, one of our favorite (and nearest) canals. Just put it on catchup...in full HD!!, Might see ourselves somewhere along its banks, or in the Barge pub!!
Thanks for the thread, would have missed it otherwise!
Incidently, bought a DVD box set for £2.99 called "Narrow boat" All about doing up a 1930's canal boat as well as other canal stuff....10 episodes in all. That's me sorted whilst the soaps are on!! ::bigsmile:

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
I stuck a camera on the front of a canal boat once. I've got 4 hours of footage somewhere (including the Atherstone locks), if anyone is interested I'm sure I could find a way to upload it. :imoutahere:

Just below 5th. lock at Atherstone is where OH fell in. Surfaced still holding lock handle. And it was deeper there than she was tall so had to swim to the bank. She was not amused!

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Bbc4 are doing a week of programmes like this....it's 'slow tv'.......I wanted to watch the dawn chorus one on Monday but forgot:doh:
I only watched this for a few mins......and it's only on in the background!:RollEyes:

Great!!! Are they doing one showing motorhomes leaving a camping site....that would be good! :tmi:

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Thanks for the thread, would have missed it otherwise!
Incidently, bought a DVD box set for £2.99 called "Narrow boat" All about doing up a 1930's canal boat as well as other canal stuff....10 episodes in all. That's me sorted whilst the soaps are on!! ::bigsmile:

It's raining and windy here in Somerset so Les and I have been watching our Narrow boat DVDs. Got through 8 episodes so far!! Two to go.
One thing that has struck me. If Narrow boats are run on old diesel engines, are they also barred from entering pollution zones in City's etc?. Considering the likes of Birmingham has more canals than Venice it could be a problem!? Any thoughts?

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
If you think that was boring ,try the river nene on the tidal side of the dog and doublet, miles of straight and flatness

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Great!!! Are they doing one showing motorhomes leaving a camping site....that would be good! :tmi:
Not sure but if you are desperate I think there's a few of that type on Youtube :giggler:

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Not sure but if you are desperate I think there's a few of that type on Youtube :giggler:

Filmed a few of my own in the past, IF I'm THAT desperate I could always watch them!!

andreWander

Free Member
Feb 19, 2014
Thames Valley
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 2007
Exp
Love the peace of not having anyone talking and just listening to the sounds of the water and countryside. Totally hypnotic. Seems to be the stretch from the top lock above Bath East to Dundas aqueduct. About 6 miles with no locks.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
it was on this:)

Attachments

• DSC02156.JPG
    DSC02156.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 13

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Years ago one of the more obscure sky channels showed the same after normal transmissions ended at night.

Sat watching for a couple of hours after a night out (pissed) waiting for something to happen.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Nice! Tow it behind the van? Fancy doing that, best of both worlds then!!:clap:

I used to tow it behind a mazda bongo , I could easily sleep on the boat , I am planning to tow a small sailing dinghy behind the MH , I do enjoy a bit of sailing , once you are out and the sails are up it is so laid back , ive almost noddied off;)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I used to tow it behind a mazda bongo , I could easily sleep on the boat , I am planning to tow a small sailing dinghy behind the MH , I do enjoy a bit of sailing , once you are out and the sails are up it is so laid back , ive almost noddied off;)

Good luck to you, something I fancy doing myself but it would need a motor!! :winky:

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
That one in the photo is a Magregor 26x powersailor,it has a 50hp engine on the back and can tow a skier , that engine has got me out of the poo on more than one occasion.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back