Will You Take My Speeding Points? (1 Viewer)

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
We were chatting with a couple of our motorhome pals the other night and the topic of speeding points being passed from one spouse to the other cropped up. It became apparent to us at least that sharing points between man and wife was quite common.

I am curious to know if others think it is:
a) very rare
b) rare
c) happens now and again
d) frequent occurrence
e) happens so often as to make a mockery of the judicial system

I am not looking for confessions and comments are readily accepted under the proviso "I know somebody, not me of course......"

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Very rare I would have thought. After all the publicity when that MP got caught and his wife took the points. It is an illegal activity and if you were caught by camera it should show who the driver was. Just not worth the risk IMHO

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
very common .
most cameras dont show the driver.
amazed me after winning a speeding incident how many people told me they had got there fines back , and how many partners had took the hit .
folk you would never drean would do it.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My ex wife was in a right panic about 20 years ago because she had made a late exit off the M4 and was convinced the cameras had caught her.

I had to calm her down by saying I would take the points.

Nothing ever happened thankfully.

I would say it's rare generally.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes, and much worse than the offence itself which suddenly becomes "perverting the course of justice" and if found guilty a short hair cut and rubber gloves become involved.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
some years ago we got caught in a 'camera trap', what really pissed me off was we slowed down to 30 through a village bear Buxton, traffic ahead didn't, so when we got to derestricted I caught up and was photographed at 67mph, Oh Please!

Anyway, I ignored the first letter, opened it and ignored it, about a month later got another telling me I had to reply, I waited a couple of weeks, then replied saying we never got the first and had been away apologising for my delayed reply, but asking for photographic proof

A couple of weeks later we got a great photo of car, but indistinguishable images of driver / passenger. SO I wrote back saying we have vague recollection of that journey, but could not recall the driver at that time and were quite sure we had swapped drivers around that point, what do we do if we don't know

They replied to say I had to declare the driver, so we sent in both driving licences and a cheque for the fine, asking them to chose as we really could not remember, got reply within a couple of weeks returning my cheque and advising they couldn't chose.

I have policeman friends who kind of assisted my letter content, but mainly I know that if not fully served in 6 months the police have to drop the charge (or at least that it how it worked 10 tears ago)

So no lies (sort of) no points, not even a fine or driver awareness, result, probably a fair one, as the 6 cars that did 40+ in the 30 zone in front of me deserved the penalty IMO

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I wouldn't think of asking the wife to take my points. Would be stupid really, I have three driving licences, all in the same name, and they can only put points on one of them. (y):)
Not any more they do not go on your licence but will go on the central record as the paper copy is going and it will all be that central record the police and courts use.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
they still try to give you points if you do not have a licence

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
AA report in 2011 ... (Survey results from an AA/Populus survey of 16,961 AA members)

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/news/points-swapping.html

Swapping penalty points
300,000 get others to take their points
13 October 2011

A new AA survey shows that up to 300,000 drivers (mainly males) may have persuaded others to take their penalty points for speeding.

But drivers who look for someone else to take the blame and the penalty points for a speeding offence face a one in eight chance that they will be reported to the police - 12% of AA members said that if asked, they would not only refuse to say they were driving at the time of the offence but would also report the point-swapping attempt to the police.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I used to be game for anything but not any more, we are now the most photographed drivers on the planet and I value my freedom too much.(y)
Could I ask a related question.....If you are banned for six months through totting up to over 12 points, when you get your license back will it be free of points?(y)

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I used to be game for anything but not any more, we are now the most photographed drivers on the planet and I value my freedom too much.(y)
Could I ask a related question.....If you are banned for six months through totting up to over 12 points, when you get your license back will it be free of points?(y)

Simple answer is no, but look here for a fuller explanation, 4 years for minor offences, 11 years for more serious ones.... http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/motoring/driving_licence/endorsements_and_disqualifications/9842.html

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Had a quick read but still not clear. If your points were not removed after the ban then it would follow that should you gain one more speeding point then your license would go again. That cant be right.:unsure:

I believe that they are "spent" but remain on record - as per @grumps147 post above.. :)

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
In response to the question I would think it is
D) frequent occurrence
NOT that I am condoning it at all.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Very common in Spain! Just look on the web! Very easy to do and also make a nice little income!:laughing:

:LOL:

No.They will still count for up to 3 years.

Simple answer is no, but look here for a fuller explanation, 4 years for minor offences, 11 years for more serious ones.... http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/motoring/driving_licence/endorsements_and_disqualifications/9842.html

Yes they STAY on the licence for 4/11 years but only COUNT for 3 & 10.

Had a quick read but still not clear. If your points were not removed after the ban then it would follow that should you gain one more speeding point then your license would go again. That cant be right.:unsure:
Yes that would be correct by my understanding & would continue until the first points offence did not count anymore after a period of 3 years. It is complete nonsense & under the "money generating" system that operates now completely wrong.

http://www.drivingban.co.uk/drivingban/tottingup/drivingbantottingup.htm

Under the old 'endorsement' system where you were banned after 3 it was the same. They'd stay on licence for 3 years until first dropped off.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Not any more they do not go on your licence but will go on the central record as the paper copy is going and it will all be that central record the police and courts use.
Oh.......................................That's a blow!! :cry::cry::cry::cry: Anyone like to buy two driving licences in the name of Charles Philip Arthur George Mountbatten Prince of Wales Earl of Chester Duke of Cornwall Duke of Rothesay and Heir Apparent? Caught speeding 47 times, but strangely never prosecuted?:)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Oh.......................................That's a blow!! :cry::cry::cry::cry: Anyone like to buy two driving licences in the name of Charles Philip Arthur George Mountbatten Prince of Wales Earl of Chester Duke of Cornwall Duke of Rothesay and Heir Apparent? Caught speeding 47 times, but strangely never prosecuted?:)
But his sister is not immune, or careful!
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/mar/13/2

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
A few years back when the Chris Hune points case was in full flow, I was listening to a radio phone in on the subject of points being taken by others and was surprised to learn of the number of people who had failed to tell DVLA of a relatives death and then used the deceased as the points taker. A few rang in who considered it to be quite normal with the view that you'd be stupid not to.
Some folk just live in a different world to me, it would never have crossed my mind.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
But his sister is not immune, or careful!
She was also found guilty of impersonating a police horse in a public place Pete, but there again, she's not really in line to becoming king......(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What risk ? 3 meals a day/heating/hot water/tv, bit of r&R .Plenty of oap's would like some of it !

A few years back when the Chris Hune points case was in full flow, I was listening to a radio phone in on the subject of points being taken by others and was surprised to learn of the number of people who had failed to tell DVLA of a relatives death and then used the deceased as the points taker. A few rang in who considered it to be quite normal with the view that you'd be stupid not to.
Some folk just live in a different world to me, it would never have crossed my mind.
Goes on everywhere. When they had a sort out of the health systems here ( each region had its own) they found that 77k+ deceased people in Andalucia were still getting repeat prescriptions & the vast majority were still in receipt of there "pensions" .:LOL::LOL:

When the cameras were first introduced even the police were advising "put anyone down as long as someone is named " .:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back