RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
Can anybody give me an tips on buying a 2008 autoquest 140 ?
Going to view one at the weekend this will be our first MH so it's a bit scary.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Anywhere in particular ??
All over it especially at roof to wall junctions,wall to floor junctions both inside and underneath with particular attention at wheel arches, below all windows and around all roof openings. I'm sure more experienced funsters will further advise you
All the very best in your search but be prepared for it possibly being a relatively long one!

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Anywhere in particular ??

All the panel joints, along the floor, roof and corners.. around windows, door and roof lights.. basically anywhere there is a joint or seam where water could get in..

You can sometimes smell damp if it's been present for a while.. has a musrty smell you can't mistake.. poke your head into bed boxes, lockers etc .. you can also sometimes see it .. look for tell tale marks on the surface.. tide marks around roof lights etc

Appliances can be fixed or replaced.. damp is a killer.. and it can cost thousands to remedy .. never be tempted to buy if a seller says it is only a little damp patch and can be dried out .. or it's been fixed.. just walk away

PS

Forgot to say.. buy Jim's Motorhome Buyers Guide.. an excellent publication.. even the most experienced will learn something from it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
RS SPIKE

RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
managed to source a DIY damp meter but not to sure what percentages im looking for ?
can anyone please advise me :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
managed to source a DIY damp meter but not to sure what percentages im looking for ?
can anyone please advise me :)

It's not an exact science.. and with a hobby meter only a guide.. and I'm certainly not an authority.. this is just my view..

generally readings up to 20% of no real concern.. 20 -25% worth rechecking and looking closer.. 0ver 25% may mean there is water ingress .. over 30 % structural damage is probable .. I'd be walking away

as I said.. only a guide.. to get really accurate readings requires a calibrated professional meter .. and someone who is trained to use it..

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Take your wife, they have the best noses for the job(y) Like a blood hound mine is, only forgot to change me undercrackers once:doh::crying::blush:

Good luck on your search(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back