LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Our water pump has started to pulse when the water filter or shower are used. The pulsating does not occur when the kitchen and bathroom sink taps are used.

We have a Shurflo Pump which was fitted late last summer, and has been fine till just recently. The cold water system is coupled to a Comet Pressure Equaliser, which resembles an upturned plastic bottle, but it has no means of re-pressurising, like an accumulator does.

Im wondering if replacing the Comet Equaliser with an accumulator would cure the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and id so what did you do to cure the problem?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Usually just a sign that the water flow is not great enough i.e. Tap only open slightly & the pump reaches pressure, turns off, then on again as the pressure drops.

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Is this a problem, that the pump pulsates? Sureflow are designed and built to run intermittently and pulse. They will even run dry.

The performance of the pump, or flow, is affected by the electrical supply. Has this changed, have you had a new leisure battery, this will improve the pump, were you on EHU so getting more flow from the pump causing it to shut off more frequently?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
my surflow pump cycles all the time as well, but it cycled much too quickly initially . played around with the accumulator pressure until I was getting around a 5 sec cycle... I think I reduced the accumulator pressure to somewhere below the pump rated pressure of 20psi to get to that stage....never checked it since....will have to have a look..
ta andy

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
can also be chalk build up in shower head .
i had it for awhile till i cleaned the shower head . i used to slightly open a kitchen tap when having a shower . it allowed it to work properly .
caught the water in a clean jug for more use.
also the water filter could be getting ready to change .

OP
OP
canopus

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Shower head is clean, water filter cartridge was changed last September, and gauze in water pump was clean as a whistle.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
on my shower head a can dismantle the spray head its got a scew on the head . its mazing how quick the chalk etc can build up.
my mate uses a nature pure filter . for everything . even the shower as he is alergic to chlorine , he finds every three months he as to change filter , mind he does live in his camper.
maybe a shower head with more holes will cure that bit .

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Several possible answers HERE Ken. However, it sound like a similar scenario to my bore hole pump when the vacuum tank is not holding pressure, which is usually due to an open tap or air leak somewhere in the system!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@canopus

Hi ..
Pump cycling at the shower head, but not on the other taps, is usually caused by too low a pressure switch setting on the pump.

The pressure set screw is on the end of the pump housing, try increasing the pressure by turning the set screw clockwise, half a turn at a time then test the shower .. do that until the pump stops cycling ..

If you adjust it too high the pump may not stop when the taps are closed.. .. in which case, back it off a little bit at a time until it does.

Last edited:
OP
OP
canopus

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Jim
Ive watched this video only this morning and will be having a dabble later on thanks.

OP
OP
canopus

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Our shurflo pump pulsates as well. I will try to alter the pressure set regulator as scotjimland says above.
Phil

Ours only seems to pulse only when the shower or Nature Pure Water filter are turned on. The Shurflo Pump is factory set at 20 PSI to suit the Alde 3000 heater. I don't have an accumulator fitted so I believe Jim has come up with the answer to our problem i.e. adjusting the pressure switch. Theres a fair bit of dismantling to get at the Shurflo Pump and you need another pair of hands ideally to operate the shower and water filter as you adjust the pressure.

Thanks to all for advice and comments.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back