EHU polarity (1 Viewer)

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Was thinking of buying one of < Link Removed >;but having read several posts regarding the safety of these inline units and looking at the cross over switch, to me looks a bit flimsy. I have changed my mind and gone for the cheaper option of connecting up a male and female where + and - are reversed.

Had a few old connecters lying about so thought i'd make up a compact unit the bit between the male ond female is b&q 50mm pipe fits like a glove.(glued with pipe cement)

Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Wow!!!! someone with a little gumption.:winky:

one of the best diy jobs i'v seen for a long time.

i have the same type lead i made but never thought of the tube idea. :thumb:

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Wow!!!! someone with a little gumption.:winky:

one of the best diy jobs i'v seen for a long time.

i have the same type lead i made but never thought of the tube idea. :thumb:

Thanks John don't suppose i'll use it here ( you never know?) did think of adding a red neon on the tube ;but have a red indicater on my PSU unit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Yes, that's really neat and using the 50mm pipe makes it both safe and compact, I must start making notes on things like this since I expect to be a regular EU / UK traveler.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
The tube idea could only be used with a in-line connector lying on the ground or on some other type of support. I do not like the idea of leaving unprotected cable connectors lying on the ground.

It could not be directly plugged into a socket due to the large forces exerted by the long stiff unit.

I use two blue connector (one male and one female) connected by a short length of cable. This can be plugged into the MH and the normal EHU daisy chained on the end. This still leaves the connector out in the open and thus accessible by other campers and the weather but it is off the ground.

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
It could not be directly plugged into a socket due to the large forces exerted by the long stiff unit.

Not sure what large forces your talking about, fits fine no problem directly into the supply source, It would be pointless to use it as an inline connecter may as well have made up a crossover patch lead, the idea was to eliminate that, for me it works fine the whole unit weighs less than the male female with crossover cable, and less chance of water ingress.

Personally i prefere a long stiff unit, rather than a limp one:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Not sure what large forces your talking about, fits fine no problem directly into the supply source, It would be pointless to use it as an inline connecter may as well have made up a crossover patch lead, the idea was to eliminate that, for me it works fine the whole unit weighs less than the male female with crossover cable, and less chance of water ingress.

Personally i prefer a long stiff unit, rather than a limp one:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The "forces" I was referring to is that of leverage (not really a force but a turning moment). A plug that sticks a relatively long way out of a socket will produce a large leverage or "moment" at the socket whereas a "limp" cable type will not. The force will be a downwards force but there will be little or no moment.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The "forces" I was referring to is that of leverage (not really a force but a turning moment).

You are quite right, IMHO, I nearly posted the same message. Sick it in the MH and you's knock it off in 10 mins, stick it in the pedestal and the first person who trips over the cable wrecks the pedestal connector and try explaining that in a foreign language.

Mine is a pair of connectors and a short wire, can be used at either end.

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
The "forces" I was referring to is that of leverage (not really a force but a turning moment). A plug that sticks a relatively long way out of a socket will produce a large leverage or "moment" at the socket whereas a "limp" cable type will not. The force will be a downwards force but there will be little or no moment.

Most supplies are either downward facing or at 45 degrees , so the moments of the limp and stiff will be somewhat negligable

As previously said the mass of my unit is less than the limp method so if you put this into your equation then i don't really think there would be a great deal of difference.

I would agree that any unatural forces to the fixed plug would result in an increased leverage ;but think this is unlikely.

Unless you leave a site whithout unplugging:Eeek:

Regards

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Mine is a pair of connectors and a short wire, can be used at either end.

Mine is even simpler.. I don't use any .. :winky:

but let's not get into that again.. each to their own and it's not worth another ten pages on Jim's server :Doh:

Sorry Sinbad1., it's a neat job but can't see any great benefit .. if it works why fix it ?

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Sorry Sinbad1., it's a neat job but can't see any great benefit .. if it works why fix it ?

Not really a fix Jim, needed to make up a crossover cable so designed a simple more compact unit.::bigsmile:

No i won't ask the question:winky:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Not really a fix Jim, needed to make up a crossover cable so designed a simple more compact unit.::bigsmile:

No i won't ask the question:winky:
They said the same about the Inclinometer, and Olley summed it up in one:thumb:
These folkes have no Panash no Va Va voom:Doh:
Left to these we would still be living in caves:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:You've got me bang to rights Jim:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Mine is even simpler.. I don't use any .. :winky:?

It's people like you that US money. The government spends millions on adverts for responsible coupling just because people like you could not care less and die in your thousands.

Couple Responsibly, always take precautions.

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
They said the same about the Inclinometer, and Olley summed it up in one:thumb:
These folkes have no Panash no Va Va voom:Doh:
Left to these we would still be living in caves:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I agree, there's allways going to be the odd cave dweller::bigsmile: I welcome any constructive criticism, for me it a safe and compact unit does what i want and takes up less space than two connecters.

Now complete

Link Removed

Regards

PM me if you need instructions

Last edited by a moderator:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Most supplies are either downward facing or at 45 degrees , so the moments of the limp and stiff will be somewhat negligable

As previously said the mass of my unit is less than the limp method so if you put this into your equation then i don't really think there would be a great deal of difference.

I would agree that any unatural forces to the fixed plug would result in an increased leverage ;but think this is unlikely.

Unless you leave a site whithout unplugging:Eeek:

Regards

Nearly saw that a coupla weeks ago. It's only when the driver saw me looking at his hook-up lead that he rememberd, went :Blush: and thanked me most profusely - well we've all done things like that, haven't we? (I remember coming off ramps with my Fiamma still wound out:Doh::Doh:). Could have done a bit of damage to his MH, to say nothing of the power tower.

John

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Now complete
Link Removed
Regards
PM me if you need instructions

Well spun Sir.

Now re-take that picture with a plug in the end of the cross-over and see how it looks :)

OK, I admit it looks top quality and it's not *that* long.

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Nearly saw that a coupla weeks ago. It's only when the driver saw me looking at his hook-up lead that he rememberd, went :Blush: and thanked me most profusely - well we've all done things like that, haven't we? (I remember coming off ramps with my Fiamma still wound out:Doh::Doh:). Could have done a bit of damage to his MH, to say nothing of the power tower.

John

To be honest no i've not done anyrthing like that(famous last words :Doh:) ;however, it probably would cause damage to MH and or post, irrespective of what connecter was fitted.

Narrow escape then with the fiamma:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back