gulfbluersr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
Since our Push bikes were stolen while we were at Peterborough show a couple of weeks ago I've been looking at buying a couple of electric bikes, we've been and had a ride on a few different ones and they are all as expected very different in price, ride and quality.
I've been looking at bike conversion kits this morning, I looked at them in the past with a view to converting Elaine's bike but never did the job as they are not cheap and for not a lot more you can buy a factory built E bike, but now having ridden a few different factory built bikes I sussed out the factory e bikes are only as good as the base bike, so to keep the finished cost down they tend to start with cheap unbranded bikes, so now I'm thinking buy Elaine another bike like she had and convert it then at least she gets the bike she liked originally and I can choose the quality of the kit, I can also buy myself a decent quality secondhand bike at a big saving over the new bike cost and have myself a good e bike as well, maty be go for a bigger motor for myself ;)
So has anyone any experience of building or buying Electric bike kits?
Steve

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Had a top of the range specialized cross trail bike years ago and fitted a kit..,was a really lovely bike. Prefer Bosch powered bikes these days though, centre drive bikes that drive through the gears...great hill climbing etc.... and beautiful to ride.....best try some first!

Mine was a wisper daahub kit that they never released in the UK. Remember that bigger then 250 watt are illegal at home and abroad. If unfortunately you are involved in an incident on the road and police involved they could throw the book at you....even if not your fault

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We have talked about electric bikes and wondered with them being shiny targets for thieves and insurance etc for the continent would a 125 cc or moped be a better option. It would only be absolute max radius of 10 miles from where we camp , just shopping etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
It depends a lot on what you want to do with the bikes
We have had a couple of 'small wheel types for quite a few years and while they are ok for shortish runs they can be not the easiest to ride over longer distances. the other thing to look out for is the cost of replacement batteries
They last, on average 3 - 5 years depending on how they are looked after/used and can cost £300 upwards to replace
We have just bought a big wheel ProBike E Tourer and I must say that it is very comfortable and is very powerful on it,s maximum power setting but is also nice to ride without using battery power
The E Tourer is very similar to the AS Bikes model but at £599 is some £300 less than the AS Bike
I am a big fan of AS Bikes and I know that there service and customer care is second to none, but a saving of £300 on each of the ProBike E Tourer bikes means 2 for the price of 1
Best of luck with your seach
Enjoy whatever you buy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I looked at converting our existing bikes, but wasn't really cost effective with a kit costing £1200 plus, a sun crank drive kit around £800 then a battery at £400-£600, also the the sun drive is 350 watt so would be illegal.
Ended up buying Scott e-bikes with Bosch crank drives very pleased with them. I wouldn't waste your money on hub drive bikes far better to go for a Bosch crank drive.

OP
OP
G

gulfbluersr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
Had a top of the range specialized cross trail bike years ago and fitted a kit..,was a really lovely bike. Prefer Bosch powered bikes these days though, centre drive bikes that drive through the gears...great hill climbing etc.... and beautiful to ride.....best try some first!

Mine was a wisper daahub kit that they never released in the UK. Remember that bigger then 250 watt are illegal at home and abroad. If unfortunately you are involved in an incident on the road and police involved they could throw the book at you....even if not your fault
Hmm I must admit I was wondering what the consequences and chances of being caught with a bigger motor would be, I also must admit that I'd mor been thinking along the lines of just being stopped and caught rather than involved in an accident, for this reason I think I will stay for once sensible with the legal 250w motor. What do they do if you are caught out on a larger illegal motor? Do they treat it as a motoring offence and prosecute accordingly with points on licence etc? If so I guess this could get quite scary with no helmet, tax, mot and insurance just for starters??

We originally tried a couple of RooDog bikes at the show and was impressed, but then being as these were the 1st e bikes we ever tried then I guess it was not going to take much to impress us!! Elaine fell completely in love with the polka dot ladies one but at £1075 I was shocked to be honest by the prices!!
Then we called into Silvers bikes in Shrewsbury, he was very very helpful and let us out on all sorts of different priced and quality of bikes, we tried the small wheel folding bikes and although they were fine just up and down the carpark when we went up the road for about 1/2 a mile I could see that I'd very quickly tire of them so not for me, Elaine was more hopeful of them but I think long term they are a NO but I may consider a couple of cheapy ones just to throw in for weekend trips for a bit of into town shopping and things like that.

My original bike was just a Carrera Subway from Halfords and Elaines was a Pendlton Somerby also from Halfords so as you can see we are not mad keen cyclists but I'm hoping to push our boundries a bit with the electric bikes (y)

The kits I've found this morning are these :-
http://www.electricbike-conversions.com/conversions-kits-2-c.asp
and these:-
http://dillengerelectricbikes.co.uk/electric-bike-kits.html

I guess as all things you get what you pay for, the 1st site does not mention what make the motor is and from my studies the Bafang is a respected one to have which is what they use in the 2nd link but the 1st does use Samsung batteries so there is at least some quality to their kit, I guess a phone call or 2 is needed. The 2nd link does give the crank drive option as well but then the costs go up and then it's perhaps less worthwhile doing a conversion.

I hear what you are all saying about the crank drive but will Elaine really get the real benefit out of it for just a little pottering about on I guess a 10 or 15 mile trips at most? Coming to that will I????
These e bikes are just a minefield of options, it's easier to study and buy a car!!
Thanks for all the help and advice (y)(y)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
When we was young we would not of given a 2nd thought to putting a big bore kit on our moped/learner bikes and not telling anybody. Now we are all older we worry about getting caught with a little bigger electric motor on a push bike. I guess it's called getting old. Haha

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Any bike impressive on a quick spin round a car park.....Have a proper test ride including hills or else take your money elsewhere....

OP
OP
G

gulfbluersr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
When we was young we would not of given a 2nd thought to putting a big bore kit on our moped/learner bikes and not telling anybody. Now we are all older we worry about getting caught with a little bigger electric motor on a push bike. I guess it's called getting old. Haha
Yes exactly my train of thought, trouble is my driving licence is rather full and I'm teetering on the edge of HAVING to go everywhere on a push bike so have to be extra careful :whistle::whistle:(y)(y)

OP
OP
G

gulfbluersr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
Any bike impressive on a quick spin round a car park.....Have a proper test ride including hills or else take your money elsewhere....
Yes that's what I thought, in fairness Mr Silver was more than happy for us to give them a proper try out with no real sales pressure, he saved the worst cheap bike to the end and only really let me take it out as I asked why he'd not given the option of trying it, it was his cheapest in the mountain bike sort of style and the length of the car park and back was more than enough to see that it was a pile of crap and not even worth the £599 price tag and he made no effort to hide the fact, infact he was laughing at my face when I rode back knowing I'd not be happy with it. He also said he was more than happy for us to return and spend as much time trying them all out again as we like.
He had a Gazelle range there one had a Nuvinci hub and centre drive more a gents tourer style but what an effortless bike to ride just the price was too far out of my price range!!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Careful? Then a pedestrian runs out in front of you or you get hit by a bus, as happened in Richmond park.When police discovered rider was riding an illegal in UK high speed kalkhoff e bike he got the works, riding an untested, untaxed, uninsured moped. And if you injured someone they could sue your a$$

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Being realistic to get a half decent bike with a crank drive that will go up hills, in the UK you will have to spend an absolute minimum of £1600 to get something a bit decent over 2k, but buy in Germany you can knock of £500 those prices, that's what I did, they arrived 2 days after ordering.

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
We got lately two Raleigh Motus Ebikes, very happy with them, Bosch crank motor. No full Throttle, only (legal) power assisted.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've got a couple of Evora folding electric bikes from here:

http://bicycles4u.com/collections/electric-bikes

I did a fair bit of checking out the offerings as we could only accommodate lightweight folding ones due to the weight carrying limit of the bike rack on our PVC of 35kg (lower than a coachbuilt) which limited our options and also we wanted folders so we could put them inside most of the time. One thing to watch out with folders is the size of the chain-ring - ie the large cog that the pedals attach too - most folders have chain rings with a maximum of 42 teeth which means that once you get to any sort of speed your legs are going round like propellers! The Evora is different as it has a 52 teeth chain ring and this means that you don't have to pedal so fast to get the same speed. It also means that when you use the bikes without assistance/power the are more comfortable to ride.

One thing we really like about them is that the battery is hidden in the frame so it isn't that obvious that they are electric bikes so hopefully less desirable for thieves! The batteries can be charged in situ or removed and charges elsewhere.

OP
OP
G

gulfbluersr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
Careful? Then a pedestrian runs out in front of you or you get hit by a bus, as happened in Richmond park.When police discovered rider was riding an illegal in UK high speed kalkhoff e bike he got the works, riding an untested, untaxed, uninsured moped. And if you injured someone they could sue your a$$
Yep that's why I'll be sticking with the 250w motors, not worth taking chances for the sake of it, as Ivory55 says when younger all sorts of things were up for the chance now with a little more age and wisdom, also now knowing the true risks I'd rather just keep things proper (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Since our Push bikes were stolen while we were at Peterborough show a couple of weeks ago
Forgot to ask ... how/where from did they get nicked?

OP
OP
G

gulfbluersr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
Forgot to ask ... how/where from did they get nicked?
We have an old Honda CD175 motorbike that we had with us as well at the Peterborough Motorhome Show a couple of weeks ago, the push bikes were either side of the Honda parked next to the RV with a combination wire rope lock through the 3 of them, we walked up to MHF tent on Saturday and did manage just a few tins of Bud and Stella Cidre ;);) as far as we know and can remember the bikes were still there when we got back but in the morning they were gone, we weren't parked up with MHF we were down the bottom with RVOC so close to the fence near the road in, to be honest I'd rather they'd of took the honda as that is insured on agreed value and easily replaced, the push bikes I'm not even sure yet if they are insured but worse still Elaine's bike was her birthday present last year and has as much if not more sentimental value to her than the cost of the bike :(:(
It's also in the back of my mind that if I spend too much on bikes we will not be able to sleep at night worrying if the bikes will still be there in the morning which is why the thought of having to spend over a grand on just one E bike was a bit of a surprise and worry to me!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We have an old Honda CD175 motorbike that we had with us as well at the Peterborough Motorhome Show a couple of weeks ago, the push bikes were either side of the Honda parked next to the RV with a combination wire rope lock through the 3 of them, we walked up to MHF tent on Saturday and did manage just a few tins of Bud and Stella Cidre ;);) as far as we know and can remember the bikes were still there when we got back but in the morning they were gone, we weren't parked up with MHF we were down the bottom with RVOC so close to the fence near the road in, to be honest I'd rather they'd of took the honda as that is insured on agreed value and easily replaced, the push bikes I'm not even sure yet if they are insured but worse still Elaine's bike was her birthday present last year and has as much if not more sentimental value to her than the cost of the bike :(:(
It's also in the back of my mind that if I spend too much on bikes we will not be able to sleep at night worrying if the bikes will still be there in the morning which is why the thought of having to spend over a grand on just one E bike was a bit of a surprise and worry to me!!
... but of course your bikes were all locked together TO THE FENCE weren't they ... your insurers will need to know that. ;)

Having folding ones means that we don't worry as they are always inside with us on a night and during the day too. In fact we're getting a new camper next week with a more accessible underbed storage area so that they will be easier to get out/put away and will only go on the rack if we've been using them and are going to be running around on them on the same day when we get to our next venue.

As for value, we didn't want to spend loads of money on electric bikes which will mostly be used on holiday, and also not want to worry about losing expensive kit, so totally understand that.

OP
OP
G

gulfbluersr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
... but of course your bikes were all locked together TO THE FENCE weren't they ... your insurers will need to know that. ;)

Having folding ones means that we don't worry as they are always inside with us on a night and during the day too. In fact we're getting a new camper next week with a more accessible underbed storage area so that they will be easier to get out/put away and will only go on the rack if we've been using them and are going to be running around on them on the same day when we get to our next venue.

As for value, we didn't want to spend loads of money on electric bikes which will mostly be used on holiday, and also not want to worry about losing expensive kit, so totally understand that.
Well yes of course they were to the fence ;);)(y) Like I said in previous post I'm tempted to get a couple of cheapy folders just for short trips but can't see that I'd last with one for long term and permanent use, we don't have a garage on the rv and we used to keep the bikes inside on our last rv but it got to be a nuisance so got a rack on the last one, on this one being as we have the motorbike now a well I made a bigger/stronger rack to stack the bikes on as well so don't se us going back to bikes inside unless we think we are somewhere a little more iffy to leave them outside.........but then we thought at a show we'd of been safe with them outside :(:(

OP
OP
G

gulfbluersr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
Being as I'm trying to stay within the law both here and over the water, definitely going to be staying with the 250w motor but I'm a little unsure about the throttle grip and lever situation, most of the bikes we've tried have either a twist grip or lever throttle, now are either or both of these legal here in the UK on public roads etc and also are they legal in Spain or other Euro countries? If they are legal here in UK we'd prefer to have them, then if they are illegal in other area's of Europe can I then just disable them either by taping up or disconnecting them?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Being as I'm trying to stay within the law both here and over the water, definitely going to be staying with the 250w motor but I'm a little unsure about the throttle grip and lever situation, most of the bikes we've tried have either a twist grip or lever throttle, now are either or both of these legal here in the UK on public roads etc and also are they legal in Spain or other Euro countries? If they are legal here in UK we'd prefer to have them, then if they are illegal in other area's of Europe can I then just disable them either by taping up or disconnecting them?
Certainly illegal in France, Spain & Germany and most other EU countries, UK law has either just come into force or about to, Eddie (Judgemental) will know. Can't just disable them as on the C of C they would still not comply.
Having said that they are not illegal if you register and insure them as a motor vehicle, only problem is DVLC don't know how to do it.:)

OP
OP
G

gulfbluersr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
Certainly illegal in France, Spain & Germany and most other EU countries, UK law has either just come into force or about to, Eddie (Judgemental) will know. Can't just disable them as on the C of C they would still not comply.
Having said that they are not illegal if you register and insure them as a motor vehicle, only problem is DVLC don't know how to do it.:)
Thanks for that, so what's the score then as to buy bikes without the throttle narrows the market down quite a bit, when/if they change the law here in UK will it be a case of the bikes that are already out there with throttles on are then ok because of grandfather rights type rules or will they all automatically become illegal? Is it just a case of remove the throttle grip/lever and then they are ok?
Oh and sorry but what do you mean by C of C? I'm sure I should be able to work it out and that it's obvious but I might be having a bit of a dim moment :D:D

OP
OP
G

gulfbluersr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
Just re-read my post that the 'Careful' point was in, hope you don't think that I meant careful not to get caught breaking the law, what I mean is that I need to be careful to stay 'within' the law (y)(y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Thanks for that, so what's the score then as to buy bikes without the throttle narrows the market down quite a bit, when/if they change the law here in UK will it be a case of the bikes that are already out there with throttles on are then ok because of grandfather rights type rules or will they all automatically become illegal? Is it just a case of remove the throttle grip/lever and then they are ok?
Oh and sorry but what do you mean by C of C? I'm sure I should be able to work it out and that it's obvious but I might be having a bit of a dim moment :D:D

Existing bikes with throttles will still be okay within the UK - or so we are told. I wanted to register mine but wasn't able to. I like the throttle for pulling away as we live in the hills getting the peddling started is painful.

C of C = Certificate of Conformity.

You could ask Peter at As bikes (if you have tried and like his models) if he could do you a special without the throttle. He will provide a C of C on request :)

OP
OP
G

gulfbluersr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
C of C = Certificate of Conformity .............Of course, see I told you moment of dim :blush::blush:

So I guess for UK buying sooner would be better if we wanted the throttle as we live in Aberystwyth we have our share of hills :Eeek::Eeek:
If I do end up going the kit route how could they tell the age of the upgrade to the bike, the only way I can think of is the reciept for the kit, also with the kit build bike what about the C of C for when in Europe, sorry for all the ??????'s but it's seems to be getting even more complicated to stay within the rules :Eeek:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just re-read my post that the 'Careful' point was in, hope you don't think that I meant careful not to get caught breaking the law, what I mean is that I need to be careful to stay 'within' the law (y)(y)

don't be so sensitive!:D

Just walked back from Benidorm centre to site..watched a couple pushing their chinese e bikes up a small hill to main road, they then mounted and rode on, on the flat?. I mean come on folks!...seriously:).... what is the point of having e bikes that don't hill climb well. When ! was 3 stone heavier a few years ago, I could get up hills in Tuscany on our Bosch powered bikes, that would make a grown man weep:LOL:

what ever you buy if you want to use in Europe (with a clear conscious) has to be EN 15194 compliant. it will be stamped on frame and in paperwork....

a cheap chinese bike will be useless on serious hills with or without a throttle..it will grind to a halt or a crawl.....you need to try some serious bikes and see what they can do, then you will see why they are more expensive. (a lot cheaper in Europe!).

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gulfbluersr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
don't be so sensitive!:D
Ahh that's ok then, don't want to start upsetting people just as I start posting on MHF I'd like to leave that for at least a few more days :whistle2::whistle2: :rofl::rofl::rofl:(y)(y)

An yes for us the whole point of Ebikes is to help on the hills (y) So are you saying that if I don't dig deep enough into my extra deep pockets then the wheel motor'd bikes just won't do the trick?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ahh that's ok then, don't want to start upsetting people just as I start posting on MHF I'd like to leave that for at least a few more days :whistle2::whistle2: :rofl::rofl::rofl:(y)(y)

An yes for us the whole point of Ebikes is to help on the hills (y) So are you saying that if I don't dig deep enough into my extra deep pockets then the wheel motor'd bikes just won't do the trick?

YES! have helped many towards buying centre drive/Bosch powered bikes, that drive through the gears? even a few members on here...Have never had any complaints. In fact quite the opposite. I imported first Bosch powered KTM bike in 2011...now they are probably the most popular, try one, bet you are convinced...

OP
OP
G

gulfbluersr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
YES! have helped many towards buying centre drive/Bosch powered bikes, that drive through the gears? even a few members on here...Have never had any complaints. In fact quite the opposite. I imported first Bosch powered KTM bike in 2011...now they are probably the most popular, try one, bet you are convinced...
Bosch and KTM words that normally also mean ££££££'s and more £££££££'s what happens when you put the 2 words together how many ££££££'s are we talking about then? Type in small numbers please I'm getting scared :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back