Is it ok to leave EHU lead connected?? (1 Viewer)

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We've finally collected our very first MH...can't wait to get out in it this weekend.....:thumb::roflmto::roflmto::thumb::thumb::roflmto:
Anyway...One (more)::bigsmile: thing I was wondering is if there was any reason not to leave the EHU lead connected when the van is parked on the drive not in use?
When the MH is on the drive there is no access to the point at which the lead connects to the van, and so are not able to plug in and unplug as needed.
We would then plug this into our house mains to keep the leisure battery topped up among other things.

Thanks

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
You'll get (hopefully :winky:) lots of different views ....

Mine stays connected whilst on the drive.... didn't stop me having to re-charge the veh battery .... hab bty was OK though............

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Mine stays connected whilst on the drive.... didn't stop me having to re-charge the veh battery .... hab bty was OK though

I thought it charged both :Eeek:

I'me sure someone will come along and tell us :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We've finally collected our very first MH...can't wait to get out in it this weekend.....:thumb::roflmto::roflmto::thumb::thumb::roflmto:
Anyway...One (more)::bigsmile: thing I was wondering is if there was any reason not to leave the EHU lead connected when the van is parked on the drive not in use?
When the MH is on the drive there is no access to the point at which the lead connects to the van, and so are not able to plug in and unplug as needed.
We would then plug this into our house mains to keep the leisure battery topped up among other things.

Thanks

Hiya,

Ours stays connected all the time it's on the drive.I added a point in the garage to attach it to.

I have the leisure battery charger which I switch on every couple of weeks just to ensure the batteries don't discharge and a charger connecter to the vehicle battery which automatically senses battery condition and tops it up when required (the vehicle demobiliser does drain it after a while)

The fridge / freezer is switched on every now and then :RollEyes: throughout the season.I find it's better to run these things rather than wait until you're ready to roll and find for some reason they are not working.The same goes for the engine/clutch/gearbox and running gear hot water/pumps and blown heating.

I do a full functionality check every weekend, just to be sure.

Enjoy the Motorhome guys.::bigsmile:

Steve.

Last edited:

sirhandel

Free Member
Nov 28, 2008
Chippenham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Best thing is to take the MH out for a run every couple of weeks for about an hour. This tops up the batteries and ensures the mechanicals get some exercise. We live in the sticks so go do a major Tesco shop (about half an hour away) with the MH a. Big advantage is that my wife likes to dawdle around the superstore while I have a snooze in the MH. She calls me when ready to checkout so I can make her a cuppa and then go to help.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I thought it charged both :Eeek:

I'me sure someone will come along and tell us
:Smile:

You'll get (hopefully :winky:) lots of different views ....

Mine stays connected whilst on the drive.... didn't stop me having to re-charge the veh battery .... hab bty was OK though.

Depends on what van and charging system that you have. Some do and some don't, mine thankfully does.

Mine also stays wll and truly plugged in when on the drive, not caused a problem with either of my vans and its been done for years that way. I come back and then plug it in.

The best advice given was to use the van. It makes such a difference to keep all the mechanics turning. The worst vans are alway the ones where they are left standing for months on end.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our EHU is usually connected over winter when we might need to use an oil filled radiator overnight to keep the temperature above freezing but at warmer times of year tend to just plug it in to make sure the fridge is cold before a trip.

Our charging system doesn't only charges the leisure battery so I have a Tronic T4X charger (Lidl version of Ctek) which I use if necessary to boost the van battery.

As others have said, it's a good idea to go for a run every week or two to keep the wheels turning.

Graham

brianju

Free Member
Sep 18, 2007
Hampshire Hogs now in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
A class 1991 Hymer B544
Exp
10yrs ish - US 5th Wheel/US RV/Eurovan
Best thing is to take the MH out for a run every couple of weeks for about an hour. This tops up the batteries and ensures the mechanicals get some exercise. We live in the sticks so go do a major Tesco shop (about half an hour away) with the MH a. Big advantage is that my wife likes to dawdle around the superstore while I have a snooze in the MH. She calls me when ready to checkout so I can make her a cuppa and then go to help.

Excellent :thumb:

Julia

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Big advantage is that my wife likes to dawdle around the superstore while I have a snooze in the MH.

Hell of a man.

Most men would spend the time shaking, not daring to leave the Thetford.

We, the normal men of FUN, salute you.

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Thats brilliant, thanks for your help everyone.
I assumed that the leisure battery would be charged automatically if EHU was connected. How do I know if this is the case with our MH?? It's a 1999 autosleeper pollensa.

dikyenfo

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class Mc Louis with small trailer
Exp
1 year
A relay controlled by the ignition separates the 2 batteries and the fridge there fore consider fitting a solar panel that will keep both batteries charged if you fit a piggy-back split charger.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi
If unsure on what gets charged and you can,t find out from the manual, I would give Autosleeper a ring they are normally helpful:thumb:

Dave

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Thanks

now i may be a bit fik or i could be missing the point but if its plugged in in the house why do you need access to the point on the van......just switch it off in the house:Doh:::bigsmile:

until i fitted my solar panel i used to plug into the garage...proper 16a eurosocket fitted...for a day every couple of weeks.
kept the batteries charged and no chance of overcharging them.

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
Some thoughts on leaving the EHU connected at home.

1) Protect the mains lead with a RCD, in case the local hedgehog bites through the cable thinking its a very big worm.

2) Halfords (and others) sell maintence chargers which are relatively cheap. Well a lot cheaper than having your M/home internal 12 volt unit having to be replaced because it is left on all the time. I run one for each battery on a time switch using cheap rate electricity just topping up / maintaining the batteries.

3) Some M/home 12 units charge the leisure battery and the vehicle battery, some dont !. Our Rapido charges the vehicle battery after it thinks the leisure battery is charged fully. A cunning plan by Rapido, BUT falls apart if the leisure battery is old and fools the unit into redirecting its charge !

4) A cheapo LCD multimeter ( Maplins about £7.50 last time I looked) is one of the most usefull tools in the toolbox for measuring voltages.

5) Using your cheapo meter, A battery on charge should be between 13 and 14.5 volts (approx), not on charge will be between 12.25 and 13 volts (approx). Below 12 volts the battery needs charging !

6) Some control panels have Voltage readouts. My readings are a constant 0.5 volts below the voltage at the battery terminals.

7) We tend to turn the mains / 12volt unit off at night because it hums. Not noticeable in the day, but enough to annoy at night. Also seems pointless running the unit unless you need 12 volt power or battery top up.

8) French sites can run as low as 4 amp, I would rather that the power goes into an elecy heater (500 watt Dimplex) rather than the mains / 12 volt unit.

Just passing thoughts.:thumb:

Rgds

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
now i may be a bit fik or i could be missing the point but if its plugged in in the house why do you need access to the point on the van......just switch it off in the house:Doh:::bigsmile:

until i fitted my solar panel i used to plug into the garage...proper 16a eurosocket fitted...for a day every couple of weeks.
kept the batteries charged and no chance of overcharging them.

My question was me being a bit fik....I didn't know if having the EHU plugged in with power only going through it sometimes would cause any problems (no idea what kind but wouldn't wanna find out the hard way).:Sad:
::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back