Air Suspension Advice (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
On our first long European tour in the new van. As I'm well within my load capacities for the rear axle the van is noticeably lower. When I return back to the UK I intend to have the rear fitted with air bags to help the suspension. It is many years since I had these fitted on a motor home and units change. Can anyone recommend a pair of quality units for DIY ibstall

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
This is something I will be doing in a couple of weeks, I'll be interested to see what kit is recommended.
Allan

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Dunlop system on previous van, new having Dunlop fitted to ALKo chassis by Phil from Rhino Installs in June. Phil doesn't travel as far now so having it fitted when we are in York

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I fitted mine .. Done it in the road outside the house with snow on tghe ground ! Total fit time less than 45 minutes from memory

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just fitted this, I'm happy.

Broken Link Removed
Just had a look at this link, could I ask, are the bags pressurised separately as there does seem to be a valve to select each side

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
bag.jpg
Just had a look at this link, could I ask, are the bags pressurised separately as there does seem to be a valve to select each side

No, there is a "Tee" joint underneath. This guy makes them in Poland I'm sure he'd sell and extra gauge for little money.

You can ask on 07921128933, his wife runs the business in UK from St Helens, I collected from there, really nice helpful person.

In theory I prefer the T as if there is a failure both sides go down.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Mine were done individually as standard.. In fact the control panels as bought from AS have two buttons on .. one for each side

Note.. While control panel and wee on board 12v compressor is nice to have, I used the simpler option of tucking the ends in the gas locker and using an air line for the first year we had them.. It was only after I decided to get all posh I bought the control panel and a 12v tyre compressor from halfrauds and fitted that..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I fitted drive rite myself years ago on a few vans..bought it from Dublin head office as cheaper (No surprises there!:censored:)

just run separate air lines.....I always went for cheap basic kit as bags small and can be pumped up with a foot pump and checked with a tyre gauge

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
View attachment 61475

No, there is a "Tee" joint underneath. This guy makes them in Poland I'm sure he'd sell and extra gauge for little money.

You can ask on 07921128933, his wife runs the business in UK from St Helens, I collected from there, really nice helpful person.

In theory I prefer the T as if there is a failure both sides go down.

The two sides tee'd togother is a bad idea, it wil encourage the thing to roll over on corners, as I discovered. As the weight starts to shift it forces the air out of the "loaded" side & into the "unloaded" side which exagerates the body roll. I would go as far as to say it's dangerous.
My system has one inflation point & guage, plus a pair of valves to select which side to inflate/deflate.
I made the mistake of leaving the valves open once, Never again!

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Dunlop don't recommend a 'T' off system, each air bellows should have their own air line back to the air gauge/s this way you can adjust the air pressure to each bellows to compensate for weight distribution and road unevenness..

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
I fitted a Dunlop system from Marcle and really easy job. Had the one with single pump up valve with gauge and two switches. Open both n/s and o/s switch, pump up on level ground then knock both switches off, both air bags same pressure both sides.
Opposing air bags (as in n/s & o/s) should NEVER be pneumatically joined. Not only can it seriously effect on the roll (side to side), it can cause SERIOUS body weave once it gets going.
:eek:
Brian, get it separated - please.(y)

Hope it helps.

Trikeman.;)

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I was worried that my insurance would consider this a modification, so phoned them beforehand. They said that provided it was fitted by a recognised trades-person, there would be no excess. I asked if Watling Engineering would qualify and they said Ok!
I was recently weighed and told that because I had air suspension the 30kg overweight on my rear axle would not be a problem if I fitted tyres with a wider profile.

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Many thanks to you all for some very interesting an informative posts. I'll digest and go from there.
Wilf

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
if you are in a rtc and the plods find it was down to a diy air suspension you will not be covered by your insurance and the money you saved my cost dear hope this help get it fitted by a trades person ray

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
We had ours fitted by AS AirSuspension - both in this van and our previous one - excellent system and excellent work by Phil Berry at AS!
Second AS, very helpful and excellent workmanship who are also competitively priced
Makes a big difference to the ride, especially when passing large vehicles

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
if you are in a rtc and the plods find it was down to a diy air suspension you will not be covered by your insurance and the money you saved my cost dear hope this help get it fitted by a trades person ray

Really ? Methinks Swanseajack, that perhaps you are not too familiar with exactly how air bags are fitted ?

By the statement made, me, as a fitter who works ( worked ) on all sorts of vehicles ( mainly extremely fast motorcycles for the past 15 years ) ) and ran a workshop that set up peoples suspension but am in actual fact an out of work RF electronics design engineer ( that is how I used to describe myself :D ) cannot fit my own air bags ?

I would be interested in what qualifications would be considered as needed to fit what is, basically, something less complex than changing a wheel on some motorhomes ?
Would you, for instance, consider ever changing a wheel your self ? Are you qualified to change that wheel ?

Come to think of it, I would love to know how it is possible to muck up an installation !!!!

Fitting an air bag system is SO simple and basic ( for instance, on a lot of vehicles with a leaf spring systems the bags are not even bolted to anything ! They are held in place by the will of god and a few tonnes of motorhome ! ) that almost anyone can do it with absolute confidence

Anyone that is who can change a wheel at least !!!!

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
If you put a restrictor in line it is not easy to let air out of them which is advised when not in use for a while.

Dunlop quote to never let all the air out - always maintain at least 0.5 bar

Maximum and Minimum Pressure
Maximum Pressure 7.0bar Minimum Pressure 0.5bar
Do not exceed 7.0bar (101psi), which is the recommended
maximum charge pressure for the air springs.
The springs may be deflated if the vehicle is to be stored for a
lengthy period without use, but a pressure of at least 0.5bar
(7.25psi) should be maintained at all times in order to avoid
possible compression damage to the springs.

Fitting instructions can be obtained from
Broken Link Removed

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i know im being totally dumb (i say it myself others aint allowed to ) but what is the benefit of the as system ?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No particular advantage of the AS system over others really Bill.. Apart from the excellent service and back up AS offers.

As to air bags in general, they are often needed if you up the weight of a mh.. and even if not, they stop one hellova lot of rocking and rolling when cornering ( or when plotted up, or indeed if a lorry goes past you at speed ! )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back