Silver Screen Thingys (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
what are these things for, been on a camp meet this week and vans drive on , first thing they do is cover the windscreen up, sorry but what are they for, must make it dark inside , what are they keeping out, the sun or the cold, because we've never found any condition why we would want one, we have five vans in our family and friends but none of us have them.
What, why.

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
They are keeping your MH cool in summer & warmer in winter (y). They can be for outside or inside too. I'm just about to order an outside set for my MH. IMO they are must for winter & a bit of privacy. Plenty of light from the side windows but some have a fold down centre piece if it's too dark for you.

Thanks Antony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Used ours a couple of weeks ago and were great. No condensation. Kept van much cooler in the sun. And in Yorkshire as well!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
'spect it's a bit like putting a Gate on your Drive,

"This is mine!"

OR!!! Me and the misses are going to try position 74 in the Karma Sutra (standing on one leg, jiggling!, bottle bush and tin of treacle!) and if it goes tits up, we don't want any witnesses! ;)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I've seen some of these on site today, the van a few doors down has them on, it's rained on and off throughout last night and today so I'm wondering where I would store such things when they're soaking wet, I think I'll put up with the condensation for now

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I have them on the outside, has the bit in the middle that you can let down to let the light in in the daytime.
Advances
Keeps inside warmer in winter
Keeps inside cooler in summer
Stops condensation in cold

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I've seen some of these on site today, the van a few doors down has them on, it's rained on and off throughout last night and today so I'm wondering where I would store such things when they're soaking wet, I think I'll put up with the condensation for now
Most of the water shakes off and they fit in a waterproof shinty stick bag, no problem!:) You'll have one of those lying around?
Rather that than the condensation we get when not using them.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If they are wet when packing up they travel in the shower.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We find them very useful - vital I would say in sub-zero temperatures. They minimise condensation in cold / wet weather and help keep the van cool if the temperature gets up around 30ºC. Ours is an A-class with a large screen and side window area and I would not want to be without our Silver Screens.
Regarding storage when wet, this is not a problem for us. I simply get off as much water as possible then put them in the garage until dry, or until I can get them out in the sun.
Of course they block out the light, but the central front screen panel can be rolled down to let in light when the screen's insulation is not required.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Wouldnt be without a set. Even when there was 5 of us and 2 dogs, webasto on full, we never had condensation running down the glass.
Even better when they fold down at the front and have the mesh bit. You can see out but no one can see in. We've bought some for our new van. Keeping the mesh bit ,Off the old set, to save us £60 ! , letting the new owners have the other set with the mizar. Brilliant kit.
Great service and staff at Cleckheaton genuine paragon silver screens.

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Not only do they do a great job at heat regulating but also make it nice and dark so you don't get woken too early by all the bright British sun we get early in the morning.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
'spect it's a bit like putting a Gate on your Drive,

"This is mine!"

OR!!! Me and the misses are going to try position 74 in the Karma Sutra (standing on one leg, jiggling!, bottle bush and tin of treacle!) and if it goes tits up, we don't want any witnesses! ;)

Noooo...
Not position 74!!!:Eeek:
Your old knees wont take that kind of strain.
Might help to get rid of the treacle tin and be sure to stand on your good leg. (The one without the woodworm).

Hang on....Tits up??
Position 74 is supposed to go arse up.
Turn the book round, you daft old sod, you got it upside down.
you're looking at position 47.
:doh:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Noooo...
Not position 74!!!:Eeek:

Turn the book round, you daft old sod, you got it upside down.
you're looking at position 47.
:doh:

Good grief:doh: You're right young John(y) SO! that's why the Blancmange wouldn't stay in place:doh: and the VICK ointment made me ears turn funny!

Live and learn I'spose:whistle2:

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I set of for a bit of an adventure from the UK in December, I was unsure wether I needed these or not.

I can now say, if they do what they say on the can. They are a must.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
they come in handy. and they don't weigh much.

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
They are great if you are on a site, but if you're wilding no use, you might need to move quickly, we have both silverscreens and the internal remis blinds on windscreen and side cab windows, silverscreens for sites, remis for wilding

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Oh and just remembered, you don't need to remove sat nav, dash cam, etc from windscreen when using external screens.(y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
what are these things for,

Go to southern Europe in summer or the Alps in winter and you will know for sure..

In a word.. insulation ..

in extremely cold weather they prevent heat loss, and in summer stop the van cooking from the sun's rays ..

In the UK, probably not needed unless you camp in all seasons..

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
What’s the advice for using either the Silver Screens or Taylormade when parked on the drive for longish periods?

I’m thinking they will keep the condensation out and help to stop rain/leaves getting in the scuttle, but will they deteriorate by long term fitting, UV rays etc.?

Brian

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What’s the advice for using either the Silver Screens or Taylormade when parked on the drive for longish periods?

I’m thinking they will keep the condensation out and help to stop rain/leaves getting in the scuttle, but will they deteriorate by long term fitting, UV rays etc.?

Brian

Brian, you shouldn't get condensation when uninhabited .. if you do then you need to ventilate to let the van dry out..
If it's an ongoing problem and you can't get rid of it, you may have a damp issue that needs investigation..

I keep mine in the garage rather than risk UV degrading .. it will also get filthy and need cleaning before storing..

cleaning leafs etc from the scuttle isn't a problem.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have got one and use it every time we use the van. Easy to put on, good privacy, stops condensation and keeps the van cool in the sun.

We also have a thing that fits over the bonnet but only use that if it's really cold outside.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Makes a big difference to the temperature in the van in cold weather.. Keeps a lot of heat in..
Ergo saves on a lot of gas for the heating !
Only rarely use them when its hot though.. Just lazy really

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back