LHD Exhaust for Ducato 2.8TDi (May-98 to Jan-02) (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hello all. :)

Having made extensive enquiries, I can't get hold of an exhaust here in the UK, for a LHD 99 Ducato 2.8 TDi, and it was even suggested by Bosal direct, that it would have been specially made for the converter, so only Hymer would be able to supply. :eek: That is absolute rubbish. (n) (n)(n)
It is a standard Ducato exhaust, with an after market tail pipe extension added, to bring the exhaust out from under the bodywork.

I don't want to fit a RHD exhaust for the obvious reason of the tail pipe exiting the bodywork, right under the habitation door. My mate who does all the major work on the MH for me, offered to fabricate and weld on brackets to the underside of a RHD exhaust, thereby allowing it to be fitted as a LHD exhaust, but for me, that would be as a last resort. :(

I can't get a complete stainless steel exhaust made up locally, as nowhere that does them, has a premises entrance tall enough to accept the MH over their pit.

It turns out that I can get a standard LHD exhaust from the EU (excluding down pipe and catalytic convertor) for £58.00 plus £11.50 for delivery. Broken Link Removed

I think that is a good price, as it has a 30 month warranty and it's made by Thyssen-Krupp, so it's not cheap and nasty. (y) National Tyres have just quoted £259 for a RHD exhaust, albeit fitted. :eek:

Has anyone got any other sources for LHD exhausts?

Cheers,

Jock.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Hi Jock,

I have just looked on a French Camping Car forum (actual page is : - Broken Link Removed )and there is a suggestion to try
Without knowing which version of engine you have I can't go much further.

The page is fairly easy to follow, but if you need any help then please PM me and I will see what I can do.

J

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Jock get the one Frome Germany if the cat and down pipe is ok and if so just swap over that will save you all the stress than just get your friend to fit it,
job done bill

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
Jock, have just fitted the same one that you have listed to my eura mobil, had to alter the curve slightly to come through Alco chassis, from ordering it took 4 days, well pleased and seems good quality, it comes in 2 pieces with a connector and full fitting kit, he also does the cat pipe or even a decat pipe,

Alan,

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
The page is fairly easy to follow, but if you need any help then please PM me and I will see what I can do.
Thanks J.
It's a 2.8TDi (same as Peugeot and Citroen 2.8 HDi) 1999 year. I did get as far as the exhaust page, but was then overcome with fright. :LOL:

Jock get the one Frome Germany if the cat and down pipe is ok and if so just swap over that will save you all the stress than just get your friend to fit it,
job done bill
That's looking like the plan Bill, unless something more local pops up, although that's extremely doubtful. The down pipe and CAT are fine for now.

Jock, have just fitted the same one that you have listed to my eura mobil, had to alter the curve slightly to come through Alco chassis, from ordering it took 4 days, well pleased and seems good quality, it comes in 2 pieces with a connector and full fitting kit, he also does the cat pipe or even a decat pipe,
Thanks Alan.
The only reason I'm looking at replacing it is because there is a split at the seam on the front box, although it's not leaking yet. However, I'd prefer to get it all sorted before the MOT due next May. It is still the original factory fitted exhaust. A couple of the hanging brackets rotted away, so my mate fabricated new ones and welded them on. They are much better than the originals. (y)

Apart from going in and out of storage occasionally, the MH never does short journeys, and going away is always more than an hour away, so it gets a good blow out, hence it's long life.

Cheers for now,

Jock. :)

Daedalus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2013
North Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Hi Jock

Don't know how far you're prepared to travel to have a stainless steel system fitted to your vehicle, but, these guys ( . ) will build and fit to just about any vehicle. My buddy has just had one made and fitted to his Fiat based Rapido.

They will have no problem getting your vehicle inside - they do MOT's on all manner of motorhomes.

I haven't personally had any work done by them, had dealings with them in a previous life (on the MOT side), however, my buddy swears by them.

On the other hand, you could take a look at - Link Removed

JT Autos, Unit 1b Freeman Road, North Hykeham, Lincoln, LN6 9AP
Telephone 01522 898003
Email lincoln@longlife.co.uk
OPENING HOURS Mon – Fri 8.30am - 6.00pm Sat 8.30am – 12.00pm
Sun By Appointment

I had a stainless steel exhaust fitted to my old E650 by their nearest depot to my location, no problems, custom built pipework (the silencer boxes are ordered in prior to the build).

Not cheap, but they are guaranteed for life.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Don't know how far you're prepared to travel to have a stainless steel system fitted to your vehicle, but, these guys ( . ) will build and fit to just about any vehicle. My buddy has just had one made and fitted to his Fiat based Rapido.

They will have no problem getting your vehicle inside - they do MOT's on all manner of motorhomes.
That's good to know seeing as I live in Kendal - and use Ullswater Road Garage for motorhome MoTs. :D:D

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Just a reminder your motorhome does not have to be LHD to have this problem, as our last and present have a continental habition door. :LOL:
If you are planning keeping it a long while it is worth getting a s /steel exhaust. (y)
But as we spend time oñ the continent we would have one fitted over here.:D
So Jock load Rita in the van, and we will see you down here sometime this winter. (y) :ROFLMAO: Bob.

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
jock I have just had the same problem it was just the rear section on mine so I bought some stainless tube, mandrel bends 90, 45 degrees adaptor to upsize the standard tube, 4 hours later stainless exhaust welded fitted. this was because several companies quoted me over 600.00 to make and fit ss exhaust , cost 120.00. if you know someone who can cut and weld it I can give you the company where I bought the parts from

andy

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
jock I have just had the same problem it was just the rear section on mine so I bought some stainless tube, mandrel bends 90, 45 degrees adaptor to upsize the standard tube, 4 hours later stainless exhaust welded fitted. this was because several companies quoted me over 600.00 to make and fit ss exhaust , cost 120.00. if you know someone who can cut and weld it I can give you the company where I bought the parts from

andy
Thanks Andy. (y)

I'll have a word with my pal who does all the heavy work on the MH.

Cheers,

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
The difference between the two seems to be how it hangs on the van.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
The difference between the two seems to be how it hangs on the van.
Thanks for the links Westy. :) The first one is the same as the one I linked to in my original post, but from a different seller. Thanks for the feedback too.

It was because of those "hook type" brackets corroding away on the original exhaust, that I had to have my mate make up some stronger brackets and weld them on for me.

I'll be sorting this out before the new MOT in May, but for now, the original is still intact, albeit looking rough with a split in the rear box casing seam. It's not leaking gases though. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
No worries, mine is a rhd van but continental hab back, the van left Fiat with a rhd exhaust but Adria fitted a LHD silencer during the conversion. This give me the issue that most places won't talk and demand the reg number, which in my case gives the wrong silencer. I had this with an ebay seller that had a genuine Fiat part, no matter how many times I explained it he wouldn't have it!

I picked up a none cat front pipe from ebay that was good quality and fair price (different seller). After the incompetence of the motorhome dealer we bought from I have a Cat front pipe that I should get round to advertising.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I picked up a none cat front pipe from ebay that was good quality and fair price (different seller). After the incompetence of the motorhome dealer we bought from I have a Cat front pipe that I should get round to advertising.
With a change in the MOT regs, where if a CAT was originally fitted, it has to be present at the time of testing, won't the fitting of a non CAT pipe mean an MOT failure?
clear.png

Cheers,

Jock.

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
With a change in the MOT regs, where if a CAT was originally fitted, it has to be present at the time of testing, won't the fitting of a non CAT pipe mean an MOT failure?
clear.png

Cheers,

Jock.

Mine didn't have a cat on it, so I changed it for another none cat. Just been through mot no bother. So must have been none cat from new. The motorhome dealer we bought from have disappointed us greatly. They only gave a 3 month warranty, the exhaust broke in that, but it took the from May till December to sort the exhaust piece, then send the wrong one! Hence why I have a cat pipe.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Mine didn't have a cat on it, so I changed it for another none cat. Just been through mot no bother. So must have been none cat from new. The motorhome dealer we bought from have disappointed us greatly. They only gave a 3 month warranty, the exhaust broke in that, but it took the from May till December to sort the exhaust piece, then send the wrong one! Hence why I have a cat pipe.
From your Avatar Westy, your MH looks more modern than ours (a 99 model Fiat/Iveco engine), but ours is fitted with a CAT. (I've yet to see if it's got an EGR valve as well................but that's a different thread. ;) )

Glad you've got your new MOT ticket. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Mines a 2005. When we got it I expected a cat tone on there, but after seeing a few threads on here it seems common for them (around the age of mine) to not have a cat. I have no idea why, maybe something to do with it being a motorhome?

margrae

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Newcastleton, Scottish borders
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8yrs
Hi
I have a 2002 hymer b564 RHD, the exhaust is modified and exits just past hab door. I bought a standard ducato exhaust for year 94 -02 and its going to need chopped, I also bought a mandrel 90 deg piece (60mm), straight length (60mm) and some reducers as standard exhaust is 50mm and old one is 60mm. Hopefully it can be fettled to fit. I have put pic of the old and new one together.
P2150145.JPG

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
It turns out that I can get a standard LHD exhaust from the EU (excluding down pipe and catalytic convertor) for £58.00 plus £11.50 for delivery. Broken Link Removed
That's the one I went for, and it is a quality made item (y) hopefully being fitted today.

From placing the order to delivery from Poland, took five days in total, and only cost £69 including shipping.
I phoned Kwik Fit yesterday out of interest, and to supply and fit the wrong exhaust (RHD), they quoted £169. :eek:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Autotiel Augistine (I think that's how it's spelt). Carry all spares in the "Fiat Professional " part of their site.
They supplied an exhaust for my lhd 92 Ducato Hymer Camp at a very good price & it fitted like a glove. ( It must have been good because I managed to fit it myself!)

Too late for you now but perhaps for future ref.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Job done, (y) by my mate, who couldn't get over the quality of the exhaust and fixing kit supplied for the price. (y) The exhaust that came off, was the original fitted back in 1999, which had only corroded and wasn't leaking exhaust gasses.
All ready now for it's MOT on Tuesday afternoon. :)

Autotiel Augistine (I think that's how it's spelt). Carry all spares in the "Fiat Professional " part of their site.
They supplied an exhaust for my lhd 92 Ducato Hymer Camp at a very good price & it fitted like a glove. ( It must have been good because I managed to fit it myself!)

Too late for you now but perhaps for future ref.
I had forgotten about that supplier when searching the internet, but to be fair, I don't think they could have bettered the deal I got. ;)

Cheers for now,

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I had forgotten about that supplier when searching the internet, but to be fair, I don't think they could have bettered the deal I got. ;)
I've just been and had a look at their website, and we are looking at anywhere from €125 to €169 for the the same sections of exhaust. :eek:
I'm sure they'll come in handy though, for other spares that become difficult to come by as time goes on. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Exhausts are a nightmare and even after extensive research I too could only find one comfortable and potentially successful way out - I had one fabricated in stainless; £370 (ouch!)

This was done by Longlife exhausts in Peterborough who did a brilliant job. Not a million miles from yourself.

Alko chassis exhausts are a cut and shut job and yes with the right approach and equipment I'm sure it's not beyond many "enthusiastics".

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
This was done by Longlife exhausts in Peterborough who did a brilliant job. Not a million miles from yourself.
Ah yes, but they couldn't accommodate the height of the MH, and advised me to contact the Bury St Edmunds depot. Thankfully, I didn't.

This new exhaust will more than likely outsee our remaining years of ownership of the MH. ;)

Cheers,

Jock.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I'm in need of replacing mine and and having read this and other threads I could hardly believe my luck when I found this one at such a good price!

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back