They Say You Are Never Finished... (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When you do a self build. I can attest to that.

I have just spent the day stripping out all the wardrobes and boiler cupboards ready for a refit tomorrow. Gone is the cupboard with 3 shelves. The massive hole where the fridge should have been and a single lift up cupboard. Also gone is the horrible front panels and doors for the boiler area.
All done in a horrible mix of the plastic coated MDF sheets and pine lats and ply. Built using the plastic blocks favoured by motorhome manufacturers.

Tomorrow if everything goes to plan I will end up with 6 Large Drawers, a compact space for my fridge and a custom space for my computer. All made with solid 18mm ply using pocket holes and PU foam glue. It is rock solid enough that I could climb on it to reach stuff yesterday.

I am redoing this as storage was a problem for me as a fulltimer and the sage advice of @JJ was you can't have too many drawers. Yes JJ, I do listen to you (y);)

The new unit is a touch wider so the table area has to be redone and the safe box has to be rebuilt.
Also as the unit is totally different and I have new toys to install I will be doing a full rewire while I am at it as well.....

Because I am a fulltimer I have to do this at the side of the road using battery power tools while living in it at the same time. This has raised the challenge quotient somewhat as each night I have to take the new unit to pieces and flat pack it back into the van... I will be glad to get it finished just in time to start the next project...

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Because I am a fulltimer I have to do this at the side of the road using battery power tools while living in it ;)at the same time.

With better planning my friend Karl you could have been doing this refit in the warm sunshine of Quinta Majay and using one of my gennys to power up all the tools. I have a belt sander, router, circular and jig saws etc... ;)

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
With better planning my friend Karl you could have been doing this refit in the warm sunshine of Quinta Majay and using one of my gennys to power up all the tools. I have a belt sander, router, circular and jig saws etc... ;)

JJ :cool:
I would have loved to JJ, But needs and wants don't always coincided. Doing My HGV test in May, Then Stratford Show in June, Hopefully starting HGV work in July and working through till Christmas so I can afford to get over to you in January. The Drawers have been on the cards for 18 months now so finally had to crack on or they would never get done.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Shame you're not near us as you could have used my garage to work in and plugged into the electric too. :) As we're away from Sunday you could've stopped on the drive for a few days too! (y)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds like you have enough work to keep you going for a bit.
Whats next?

Allan
Are you sure you want to know? Here is a brief taster.
Fitting a secondary charger for the van battery,
redoing the Bathroom door.
Making a custom rack for the shower/toilet room.
Repainting the back doors of the van.
Fitting a new shower tray.
wire brushing the sills and rust proofing them.
Fitting new 50Amp charger
Fitting new 300 Watt sterling inverter,
Installing 4 new 12v sockets in various locations.
making a holder/rack for phones/tablets/laptops.
redoing headlining in cab area,
fitting new bigger seitz windows to drivers side of living space.
Extending the Truma ducting and adding two new vents.
rebuilding kitchen area with new drawers and shelves.
Fit new front wheel arch liners and rust proof.

That's just some of the jobs on the van to do.
I also have to do my HGV training and pass test,
Write a couple of Android Apps,
Write a couple of Xenforo forum addons,
Write 2 books,
write some linux software to manage my media library
Get a Driving job,
Get my company accounts done (again.... Already!!!)
Build a entertainment unit for my mum, need one with multiple shelves and side pods for speakers.

See you set me off now. That's just the stuff off the top of my head without going to my notes:whistle::LOL:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Shame you're not near us as you could have used my garage to work in and plugged into the electric too. :) As we're away from Sunday you could've stopped on the drive for a few days too! (y)
lol, I am a fulltimer I am near you :whistle:;)

Thanks for the offer though.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Well done Karl hats off to you
I've just yesterday started to strip out the the seat /bed on o/s and it will be a work top straight through with plenty more storage ,all battery power tools but at home ad and that's awkward enough doing it in a car park
Let's see the finished project when completed (y)

Attachments

• IMG_20150501_114539.jpg
    IMG_20150501_114539.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20150501_153644.jpg
    IMG_20150501_153644.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20150501_154526.jpg
    IMG_20150501_154526.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Some photos as you go along would be nice please.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back