Tomtom Add Poi's To Latest Units (1 Viewer)

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
At long last Tomtom have issued a new operating software for their Go units which includes among other things the ability to now add 3rd Party custom POI files to the units. This means that you can now copy the .ov2 files you had on your old units or that you have downloaded from the internet and have them appear in MyPlaces on the Go units. POI files must be less than 2mb in size.

You use Mydrive Connect to update your unit and MyDrive to load your custom POI's and or a route you create on your computer or phone.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Thanks for the info. We were most miffed that we couldnt add POIs to our go, love it otherwise so will be playing over next few days to copy from the tomtom rider.:clap2:

OP
OP
DJA

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Scotzsue

It seems to work quite well. Now if you have a number of My Places and also have added some POI files they are stored in My Drive on your computer or tablet and I think even on a phone but not sure. If your Go should fall over and need a Full Reset and you have got it up and running again it connects to My Drive and restores the My Places and POI files back onto the unit. So it is a backup facility for the unit . I tried this and it worked very well.

What you can't do is add new items to your POI files. I suspect that may be something they may add later as it it is a logical next step.

You can decide on a route using My Drive on a tablet or PC then when you start up the Go it connects to My Drive and downloads your route and is ready to start the journey or you could save it as a route for use later.

You can rearrange the icons you get when you start to work with it.

Not a bad update and most welcome on my Tomtom which I also like.

Doug

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Hi Scotzsue

It seems to work quite well. Now if you have a number of My Places and also have added some POI files they are stored in My Drive on your computer or tablet and I think even on a phone but not sure. If your Go should fall over and need a Full Reset and you have got it up and running again it connects to My Drive and restores the My Places and POI files back onto the unit. So it is a backup facility for the unit . I tried this and it worked very well.

What you can't do is add new items to your POI files. I suspect that may be something they may add later as it it is a logical next step.

You can decide on a route using My Drive on a tablet or PC then when you start up the Go it connects to My Drive and downloads your route and is ready to start the journey or you could save it as a route for use later.

You can rearrange the icons you get when you start to work with it.

Not a bad update and most welcome on my Tomtom which I also like.

Doug
Blast was hoping we could add some of the POI we have on the TTrider which we miss on the go. although we have run 2 sat navs at the same time, then they argued instead of john and i lol

OP
OP
DJA

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Pappajohn

There was a quarterly map update a few days ago on the Go units.

This is an Operating Software update to existing Go units which means you can now add OV2 3rd Party files to a Go unit. At the moment you cannot add new sites to a Poi file but hopefully that will come.

So if you have some POI files you saved from a previous model of Tomtom you can now load it on a Go unit such as the Go 5000 as I have done.

Doug

OP
OP
DJA

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Scotzsue

I assume that your TTRider used OV2 POI files and if so these should transfer to a Go unit such as the Go 5000 provided the files are less than 2MB each.

You associate your Go to a My Drive account then add the POIfiles to that. Then when your Go Unit logs in to the My Drive account it synchronises with it thus enabling you to see the Poi files in My places. Should you have to totally rest your unit for any reason when it logs back into the My Drive account the POI files and My Places are restored to the unit. It is in effect a backup system.

You can sort out a route in My Drive on a PC or Tablet then when the Go logs in it downloads the route ready for immediate use or to save for later.

Doug

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Thanks for that will get John to sort it out. also have a very old garmin, which has always been a pain, taking you down the backs of houses and unpaved roads when a perfectly good road is available. also wanted to take me to below Watford without hitting the motorway, and that was before I accidentally set it for cycles :oops:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I was a bit confused by this because when I contacted TomTom in February they said they had no plans to resolve the problem.

It's only a week since TomTom gave this support answer which gave no indication that the situation was going to change and that adding POIs to the GO 40, GO 50, GO 60, GO 400, GO 500, GO 600, Rider 400, Rider 40, GO 510, GO 610, GO 5000, GO 6000, GO 5100, GO 6100, START 40, START 50 and START 60 was still not possible.

However, I have found This Page, which was loaded on Wednesday and explains how you do it for the affected models.

Perhaps @ScotJimland and I should contact TomTom again and tell them they are too late because we already bought Garmin devices instead :LOL:

OP
OP
DJA

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi GJH

I note your comment that Tomtom told you in February that they had no plans to resolve the no POI's. Six months ago when they issued software update 14.500 they announced on their forum that they were Beta testing a Community POI system and that having called for volunteers to test it they now had enough people. They never actually said when it would be ready other than to say it was hoped to be available in the not to distant future. Left hand not talking to Right hand.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi GJH

I note your comment that Tomtom told you in February that they had no plans to resolve the no POI's. Six months ago when they issued software update 14.500 they announced on their forum that they were Beta testing a Community POI system and that having called for volunteers to test it they now had enough people. They never actually said when it would be ready other than to say it was hoped to be available in the not to distant future. Left hand not talking to Right hand.
I think you're right :) Reply on 27 February:
I would also like to inform you that, our concern department is working on it and there plans are to come up with a cloud concept in which you can add your location to the map by MyDrive and they will be easily accessible through your device. Maybe your issue will get resolve with the cloud technology. I am not sure how long will it take but hopefully it will launch soon.
This "cloud concept", though, seemed to be restricted to individual POIs rather than sets. A further reply on 3rd March was:
I would like to inform you that, our concern team is working on Cloud Concept and surely they will consider this option in which how one can add a POI category to the account so that it can be accessible on the device.
"surely they will consider" didn't give me great confidence that the support and development teams were actually talking to each other :D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Strange how it can't be done now but on the old system (go 910 etc) it was an acceptable and easily accessed option.

My understanding was TomTom used to use a file format they didn't have full permissions to use and this was withdrawn so they developed their own software which just does not work....hence the seriously slow downloads etc.
I have always used Tomtom buy when this unit fails (go 500) I won't be renewing

OP
OP
DJA

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
You are quite right about the software problem Pappajohn. They were taken to court by Microsoft for using software they had not got a licence for. They were allowed to continue to support the already existing units but had to develop new software for the future.

Just to clarify something I said before. You can now add to your Go a number of 3rd party POI folders containing numerous Poi sites provided the individual folders are each less than 2mb. However you cannot currently add a new Poi site to an existing POI folder using the satnav or the My Drive software. Hopefully that will come in due course.

I think you will find that the time it is taking to do downloads now is more to do with the file sizes. Its not that long ago that the total download for software and maps was less than 1gb now it can be as much as 7+gb. Without fibre optic broadband it inevitably is going to take ages as I would assume it would for other manufacturers as well as the files get bigger and bigger. I can remember the time when we had the old 56kps download telephone line systems and there was a microsoft major update available it came on a CD free with a magazine. To have dowloaded it would have probably taken more than a day. Progress?

Doug

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back