How Does It Work? Help Please (1 Viewer)

Jim&jo

Free Member
Apr 29, 2015
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Renault trafic t1000
Exp
Hi all,
Apologies for such a silly question but I have never used a gas appliance and just wanted to make sure I know what I am doing before I start turning on switches.
I have just bought my first camper and it has a fridge which I was told runs off gas and electric. I cannot find out the make of the fridge so do not really know where to search for any kind of instructions?
I was just hoping someone may be able to help me with the basics so I know how it works and know I'm using it correctly and safely.

There is a gas bottle connected and the cooker works fine as that was straight forward. I just wondered -

1. What do I do first in terms of switches/knobs (the ignition works fine)
2. Where should the dial sit when not in use as I couldn't work out the 'off' position
3. I have attach a photo of the panel above the fridge. The left switch is for the water and the dial for the water level. I just wondered if the other switch was linked to the fridge or if not any ideas what it might do?
4. i am going away this weekend for the first time. The camper does not have a hook up but I have bought one and the site has one for us to use. How could the fridge be used on electric as I don't understand how this would work.

Sorry for the questions but I have tried to search for this info but am struggling to find basic instructions as it seems to be more about fixing problems.

Any help greatly appreciated

Jim

image.jpg
image.jpg

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and welcome.
I am sure someone will be along in a minute to help who knows more than I do. The switches are not like ours so I wouldn't dare try to advise you.
Sandra

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It looks like your fridge may be one of the older models which works on 12v whilst the engine is running (assuming the wiring is still in place) and on gas when camping, but not on mains electricity.

Many fridges were/are made by Dometic/Electrolux so have a trawl through the models on This Page of discontinued models and you will, hopefully, find photos/diagrams which allow you to match the instructions to your model.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The knob has three positions. The white dot is off, the big flame is 'high' and where you set it to ignite, the other position is low.

Turn the knob to the big flame, hold in the knob and while doing so press the button above a few times. This is the piezo igniter which produces a spark to light the gas. Somewhere there is a peephole (possibly under the flap next to the knob) that you can look in to check the gas is alight, if it isn't repeat until it is.

Make sure the gas is turned on at the tap, the black one in your photo, which looks to me as if it is the off position in the picture. This is quite an old model and may only be gas or 12v. It will only run on 12v with the engine running, so you should turn off gas operation while travelling.

OP
OP
Jim&jo

Jim&jo

Free Member
Apr 29, 2015
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Renault trafic t1000
Exp
The knob has three positions. The white dot is off, the big flame is 'high' and where you set it to ignite, the other position is low.

Turn the knob to the big flame, hold in the knob and while doing so press the button above a few times. This is the piezo igniter which produces a spark to light the gas. Somewhere there is a peephole (possibly under the flap next to the knob) that you can look in to check the gas is alight, if it isn't repeat until it is.

Make sure the gas is turned on at the tap, the black one in your photo, which looks to me as if it is the off position in the picture. This is quite an old model and may only be gas or 12v. It will only run on 12v with the engine running, so you should turn off gas operation while travelling.

That's so useful thank you Reallyretired. I will go out and give it a try later today.
I'm still a little confused at how to work it on electric as I do not know where to switch this on?
I presume I can turn it on using electric when I leave and it will be cool by the time I get to the campsite? Just not sure how.

Will go hunt a manual as GJH kindly suggested

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If it hasn't been on for a while it may take a couple of attempts to light as there may be some air in the line that has to be pushed out by the gas.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
HI, that picture of the gas controls looks like the one I used to have in my vw camper is there a little circular window in the fridge bottom right hand corner if so you will see the gas flame ,when on the move I think you will find a switch from the battery to use the 12 volt system but where that is located I dont know good luck with it and dont be tempted to use gas on the move many do but I think its dangerous .

OP
OP
Jim&jo

Jim&jo

Free Member
Apr 29, 2015
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Renault trafic t1000
Exp
HI, that picture of the gas controls looks like the one I used to have in my vw camper is there a little circular window in the fridge bottom right hand corner if so you will see the gas flame ,when on the move I think you will find a switch from the battery to use the 12 volt system but where that is located I dont know good luck with it and dont be tempted to use gas on the move many do but I think its dangerous .

That's great, thank you Mike. Will pop out and check shortly.
I have read many posts about the dangers of having gas while driving and tbh their is no need for us to do that. The previous owner said it stays cold for 48 hours if you're just opening it a few times which means we can just have it on while we are parked overnight and have it off during the day.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
On our old caravans, the peephole was indeed in the front, bottom left hand corner of the fridge, which you could only see with the fridge door open. Just looks like a small black hole looking from above. It was so near the floor of the van in both cases, that I actually found it easier to lie on the floor with my head about 6" away, in order to look through the 'ole to see if the flame was lit!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back