DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On Martin Lewis's site I gave you a link on the other thread, there are dozens of standard letters you can download for such incidences.

OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
On Martin Lewis's site I gave you a link on the other thread, there are dozens of standard letters you can download for such incidences.

Yes, thanks, Ihave e mailed Roadpro & await their reply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Remember you have no contract of sale with the manufacturer. You only have one with RoadPro.
What does the description on your sales receipt say? Does it say Avtex...... If so, and Avtex say it's not theirs, you may have a claim against RoadPro for misrepresentation.
What does you sales receipt say in respect of a warranty?

OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
No mention of Avtex or warranty on the invoice?

OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Because it is advertised every where as such, plus we were told that at the show where we first saw them, e.g.

http://www.**********s.com/avtex-snipe-self-sat-satellite-system-p-3218.html

Broken Link Removed

Just google "avtex snipe", Amazon etc. etc. loads of adverts for Avtex Snipe.

Plus when I contacted Roadpro they said I needed to contact Avtex, why if it's not an Avtex product ?

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm confused as to what you've got - is it one of the dome ones? If so they both of the ones on the Roadpro site say the warranty is 2 years, or the 'oblong' one for which there doesn't appear to be a warranty stated?

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
I'm confused as to what you've got - is it one of the dome ones? If so they both of the ones on the Roadpro site say the warranty is 2 years, or the 'oblong' one for which there doesn't appear to be a warranty stated?

Broken Link Removed
Exactly, it's the oblong one, & Roadpro seem to be trying to distance themselves from it now. It's very difficult to even find the basic Snipe on their website now.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Jay - I've sent you a message ... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Roadpro website says if you have a problem with anything they sell, speak to the boss.
Have you spoken to the boss?
The Buck Stops Here. Apparently
Allan

I'm having a "conversation" with Roadpro & am awaiting their reply at this time.
Thanks.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I'm having a "conversation" with Roadpro & am awaiting their reply at this time.
Thanks.

Good luck Jay and keep us posted please...was considering some stuff from Roadpro but will await your outcome now.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Because it is advertised every where as such, plus we were told that at the show where we first saw them, e.g.

http://www.**********s.com/avtex-snipe-self-sat-satellite-system-p-3218.html

Broken Link Removed

Just google "avtex snipe", Amazon etc. etc. loads of adverts for Avtex Snipe.

Plus when I contacted Roadpro they said I needed to contact Avtex, why if it's not an Avtex product ?

The only reason I ask is that the snipe is badged Avtex, Megasat, Self sat

Same thing different stickers.

Re telling you to phone Avtex, if you called them and said you have a problem with an Avtex Snipe, they'd suggest contacting Avtex.

If your invoice doesn't say Avtex Snipe, then it's not one of theirs

Why not phone Avtex and ask if they supplied RoadPro with their Snipes?

OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
The only reason I ask is that the snipe is badged Avtex, Megasat, Self sat

Same thing different stickers.

Re telling you to phone Avtex, if you called them and said you have a problem with an Avtex Snipe, they'd suggest contacting Avtex.

If your invoice doesn't say Avtex Snipe, then it's not one of theirs

Why not phone Avtex and ask if they supplied RoadPro with their Snipes?

I think you are missing the point.
Avtex are not denying supplying it & they are happy to repair it, for a large fee.
They are trying to wriggle out of the 2 year warranty posted on their website by saying they don't actually MAKE the Snipe, but then I doubt they actually MAKE the TV's either.
Whilst you're interested (& as a trader), I'd like your take on the distance selling & european electronics rules?
thanks
Dave

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I think perhaps Eddievanbitz maybe trying to establish whether Roadpro sourced the Snipe units which they sold from the UK distributor, Avtex, or perhaps from continental Europe or elsewhere, which then maybe non-Avtex (I *think* Snipe is manufactured by SelfSat, but I don't know that).

If the latter, Avtex presumably are not liable for the warranty, but someone is...

I'm assuming an "Avtex Snipe" is just a badged version of the Selfsat Snipe (as opposed to manufactured under licence etc)?

http://www.selfsat.com

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
If the latter, Avtex presumably are not liable for the warranty, but someone is...

This is the problem. Roadpro told me to send it to Avtex, which I did, They say it's not covered by the Avtex 2 year warranty as they only distribute the Snipe & it's not actually made by them (but then what is?) & in any case my "contract" is with Roadpro. As I said I was waiting for a reply from Roadpro & have just received an e mail saying "unfortunately the person dealing with this is on holiday".
In the mean time I am just trying to find out what my "rights" are.
Thanks.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I think perhaps Eddievanbitz maybe trying to establish whether Roadpro sourced the Snipe units which they sold from the UK distributor, Avtex, or perhaps from continental Europe or elsewhere, which then maybe non-Avtex (I *think* Snipe is manufactured by SelfSat, but I don't know that).

I'm assuming an "Avtex Snipe" is just a badged version of the Selfsat Snipe (as opposed to manufactured under licence etc)?

http://www.selfsat.com

Broken Link Removed

Lol exactly(y) all Avtex Snipes are Snipes, but not all Snipes are Avtex.

I think you are missing the point. Avtex are not denying supplying it & they are happy to repair it, for a large fee.
RoadPro did. The question is, as you said that your warranty doesn't say Avtex nor does your invoice say Invoice, I simply asked why you thought that it would be covered under the Avtex warranty?

Whilst you're interested (& as a trader), I'd like your take on the distance selling & european electronics rules?
thanks
Dave
I don't really have an opinion on them, is their a specific point you don't understand?

We deliberately sell as little as possible on line to be honest.

As to being a trader, you asked for advice. I suspect that you wanted a snipe and bought one, but I suspect not one badged Avtex.

After are a good Company and have offered to repair the Snipe, but for a fee, which seems fair enough as, as you have said you paperwork sugegsts that the paperwork suggests that it is not a "Avtex Snipe"

Do your instructions refer to Avtex Snipe?

OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Lol exactly(y) all Avtex Snipes are Snipes, but not all Snipes are Avtex.

RoadPro did. The question is, as you said that your warranty doesn't say Avtex nor does your invoice say Invoice, I simply asked why you thought that it would be covered under the Avtex warranty?

I don't really have an opinion on them, is their a specific point you don't understand?

We deliberately sell as little as possible on line to be honest.

As to being a trader, you asked for advice. I suspect that you wanted a snipe and bought one, but I suspect not one badged Avtex.

After are a good Company and have offered to repair the Snipe, but for a fee, which seems fair enough as, as you have said you paperwork sugegsts that the paperwork suggests that it is not a "Avtex Snipe"

Do your instructions refer to Avtex Snipe?

Do any of them?

Not even the ones on the Avtex website say Avtex on them

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I don't know to be honest as we won't sell them.

I believe that to get the additional two year Avtex warranty you have to register your Snipe with Avtez and supply your suppliers invoice and the serial number.

Presumably that allows Avtex to only warranty units that they have supplied.

Which does seem fair enough

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
On the Avtex site the header of the satellite page states:
"Below you will find Avtex antenna products"
and the first item is the Snipe.

Major laptop companies don't make the laptops themselves, they use an ODM (Original Design Manufacturer) to manufacture them and then they brand them. Even if Clevo make a laptop and Toshiba brands it the laptop becomes a Toshiba product.
The fact that the Snipe hasn't got Avtex branding physically stamped on it would seem to be irrelevant ( as this post probably is:)) as they imply that it is an Avtex product.

edit: having re-read Eddies post above this does appear irrelevant!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I potentially repeat myself in that your only redress is with RoadPro unless the manufacturer \ their distribution agent (whoever that may be agrees to deal directly and repair \ replace).
As such any warranty conditions are those stipulated by RoadPro and any reference to other warranty conditions elsewhere would, I believe, be very difficult to enforce.
If your sales receipt does not advise any specific terms and conditions you would, I believe, be restricted to the sellers standard t&c's whatever they may be.
Do you happen to be a member of either Caravan Club or Camping & Caravanning Club? If so, it may be worth a call to their legal helpline.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I potentially repeat myself in that your only redress is with RoadPro unless the manufacturer \ their distribution agent (whoever that may be agrees to deal directly and repair \ replace).
As such any warranty conditions are those stipulated by RoadPro and any reference to other warranty conditions elsewhere would, I believe, be very difficult to enforce.
If your sales receipt does not advise any specific terms and conditions you would, I believe, be restricted to the sellers standard t&c's whatever they may be.
Do you happen to be a member of either Caravan Club or Camping & Caravanning Club? If so, it may be worth a call to their legal helpline.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
LOL you did (y):)

OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Just a quick update, I received the following reply from Road pro.
They confirm the Snipe is from Avtex

& yes, I am a member of the caravan club

I'm currently out of the office on holiday Broken Link Removed, Andrew 'The Boss'
is out of the office today on business, so please bear with us.

I am making some enquiries into the issue with your Snipe, which although
not an Avtex branded product is supplied to us by them, it is not from
elsewhere.

The Warranty advertised in both our RoadPro 2013 & 2014 catalogue is 1 Year.
Avtex as far as I am aware, also only advertised a 1 year warranty on this
product.

Please bear with Andrew & I whilst we look into the matter further.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Good that your getting some where, and you know which route your Snipe came from

Well done

Eddie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back