Been Tasked With Finding A Dog For Woman (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have been tasked to find Mo a dog..
Here are the requirements

It must be very young up to 6 months ideal but up to a year acceptable

It can be no bigger that a springer spaniel

It cannot be imported ( !!!! )

It needs to be a cross or mongrel

I have tried all the rescue centres for the past few months and the only pooch suitable was in Wakefield .. ( so proly smells of horses and works as a prison guard ?? ) .. It is almost 400 mile round trip so just too far as the rescue centre insist on a home visit ( quite right too ) to make sure any potential new owner is suitable and has a suitable property

Dawn (B ) very kindly tried to help by putting me in touch with someone that brings homeless dogs over from Romania.. Mrs Xenophobe 1949 poo poo'd that right off the bat !!!

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I cant help directly

But i can highly recommend a Patterdale Terrier

Not a mongrel but not a highly strung pedigree either

Clever dogs and human friendly no bigger than a springer and there is a rescue center for them if you do a search

H T H Rich

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Was going to suggest the labradoodle trust....but i wouldnt wish that on my worst enemy.

Ours has turned into an 8 month old monster with a skip for a stomach and a garbage chute for a neck.

Eats anything...edible or not
Kitchen worktops need raising by at least 2ft
caught her the other day with half a pound of butter hanging out her Waste disposal unit mouth...still in its full wrapper.
got a quarter off her before the rest went down in one, wrapper and all.
yesterday, chewing Shirls lippy, eye liner and other face paints.
last night she was quite....sat chewing Shirls full pack of cigarettes.
though she has found fresh teabags a bit hard to chew and swallow.

No....i wouldnt wish that on you or Mo.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
John, did you look at www.sesaw.co.uk ? Dawn helps out there and does the microchipping and home checks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Give her a few bars of 'Lifebouy' soap. Soon clear her of the bad habits. (y)(y)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

We are BIG staffy fans.. Even fostered one for 3 years..
They are loving, bright, great with kids and pretty much every other life form, but given the amount of time we are travelling believe it would simply not be fair on one ..

John, did you look at www.sesaw.co.uk ? Dawn helps out there and does the microchipping and home checks

Will check that one out.. it did not come up on the searches

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We are BIG staffy fans.. Even fostered one for 3 years..
They are loving, bright, great with kids and pretty much every other life form, but given the amount of time we are travelling believe it would simply not be fair on one .

Travelling is not a problem for a Staffy, they just want to be with you, wherever.
My son has one, nice friendly dog.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
U

What's wrong with that, as the Doctor said its only a little prick, it won't hurt you.
You know my wife then?? She says that to her mother about me.........:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Travelling is not a problem for a Staffy, they just want to be with you, wherever.
My son has one, nice friendly dog.

As I said Jay, we are both big staffy fans.. just not for us in the motorhome mate .. And she really wants a mongrel any way ( yep, a real pain to find something she wants .. its driving me batchy )

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
You know my wife then?? She says that to her mother about me.........:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
That's a bit kinky innit' you implying your missus is offering your (meagre) services to the MIL ?

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Putting the requirement for a mongrel makes things difficult. The breeds have specifications such as intelligence, moulting, weight, temperament.

Insisting on a mongrel makes your ultimate pick a bit of a raffle.

The things that mattered when we chose our dog amounted to
1. I don't want it to bark all day long and annoy the neighbours
2. I don't want it to be aggressive and be eager to fight other dogs
3. I want to be able to train it to come when I shout for it
4. I want to be able to let it off the lead and not worry that it will disappear

We chose a retriever. After 14 years her back legs were well and truly gone. She would not sleep downstairs and I had to carry her back legs up behind her every night.

There came the day when she had to be put to sleep. I put her in the camper and drove to the vets. I sobbed and sobbed endlessly on the journey and all my silly chatter to her was to tell her how sorry I was. I ought to have been more sensible and made her happy and content but instead I needed my futile and constant tears in my attempt to make me feel better. We arrived at the vets and I opened the side door. Her legs could not possibly take her weight and arthritic problems but she jumped out anyway and she ran for her life. She was never going to run far and catching her could never be a struggle. Of course I caught her, took her in and sat with her until the end. I am so sorry and so sad. It's 3 years ago now but I still feel like a complete piece of shit for making her final journey all about me and not a bit about her.... Sorry Rosie.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bernard, this is exactly why I have fought against having another dog for the past 8 years.
Ralph ( a springer ) did well and was 17 years old when time finally took its toll.
He was adopted by us aged 12 when his owner lost interest ..
I had to carry him in to the vets in his bed.. All the folk in the waiting room looked at us and smiled and went ahhh

As I left, sobbing like a baby with his lead in my hand the place fell silent

We have had dogs for many many years.. All sorts from BIG buggers to not so big ( although we have only actually owned a couple.. All the rest have been foster dogs or semi adopted ones )

Three dogs have been with us to the end and it has been me, alone, taking them on their final journey ..
Purely from a selfish point of view I have refused to take on another as it kills me every time it happens.
Now, Woman has brow beaten me in to accepting another family member.

I know full well I ( we ) will love what ever she gets and it will once again be a cherished family member.. But I have told her, that when the time comes.. it is HER that must do that final drive next time. I do not think I can take it again

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
One of the in-laws has discovered rescue greyhounds, dumped alive after their racing years if they're lucky. The laziest dogs going, or not, sleep all day need little exercise and not particularly big. And if you happen to leave it behind on a camp site it'll soon catch you up. :)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Bernard, this is exactly why I have fought against having another dog for the past 8 years.
Ralph ( a springer ) did well and was 17 years old when time finally took its toll.
He was adopted by us aged 12 when his owner lost interest ..
I had to carry him in to the vets in his bed.. All the folk in the waiting room looked at us and smiled and went ahhh

As I left, sobbing like a baby with his lead in my hand the place fell silent

We have had dogs for many many years.. All sorts from BIG buggers to not so big ( although we have only actually owned a couple.. All the rest have been foster dogs or semi adopted ones )

Three dogs have been with us to the end and it has been me, alone, taking them on their final journey ..
Purely from a selfish point of view I have refused to take on another as it kills me every time it happens.
Now, Woman has brow beaten me in to accepting another family member.

I know full well I ( we ) will love what ever she gets and it will once again be a cherished family member.. But I have told her, that when the time comes.. it is HER that must do that final drive next time. I do not think I can take it again

John, never experienced the "last journey" as we only got our first dog three years ago at about 12 months old.
He's a Welsh Springer \ Border Collie cross who was rescued in Ireland and would have been put down in a couple of weeks if not brought over by Dogs Trust.
Given this, easy for me to say but whilst the "last journey" is horrendous just think of the life you had given (and will give) to the furry monster particularly if a rescue mutt. Bet you they all were appreciative!
Best of luck in your search for the next lucky chappie.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I also got mine from Preloved. Granted he isn't a rescue dog but he didn't cost a fortune and is great. He is a cross Jack Russell ans Sealyham terrier and is perfect except for the shedding. Wouldn't swop him for the world.
PS: he loves travelling and is very happy in the MH and doesn't bark much!!!.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Folks, I have now officially given up the search

I have spent approx 120 hours over the past month searching and searching, travelling around and generally trying to satisfy the requirements laid down.

No matter what I come up with it is ALWAYS not right for some reason.. Last night was the final straw for me.. Sussed out a couple of really lovely dogs that filled all the stated criteria..
barely looked at the pictures and just said 'nope'

If Woman is gonna get he self a pooch she is gonna have to do it herself ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back