From Narrowboat To Motorhome! (1 Viewer)

May 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2006
Aud & Mike here saying hello to the Funsters & letting you know a little bit about us..... We recently sold Boris the barge and bought Hermen the Hymer so we could go further (& slightly faster) on our adventures & we love it. After the pain of saying goodbye to beloved Boris who had seen us safely navigate the waterways of the midlands for over 5 years, we are beginning to love Hermen who has so far taken us on many long weekends in England & Wales and a very wet week in Yorkshire Dales. Actually we have noticed that surprisingly there isn't too much difference between going away in a narrowboat to a motor home (apart from the speed and the locks!) - same principle... Everything you want with you while you travel, stop or move on when you like without having to go back to a base, it's just great. We booked ferry crossing to Caen in June and am armed with All the Aires book and ACSI card with no definite plans where we are going. I've followed various threads on this forum as an unsubscribed member and picked up some great tips (if All the Aires & ACSI card are don't live up to expectation I'm holding the Funsters responsible ::bigsmile:::bigsmile: ) We thought we would take the plunge and join you all as this site is great & definitely worth the £10 subs. Look forward to talking to you on the forum or maybe meeting you at a rally.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Welcome!! I'm so FILTHY rich that We have both!......................................................(and both are very old)..................:)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi and welcome from Somerset. I will be picking your brains as to the best canals to visit ( In the MoHo) so get your memories working!!! :giggler:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
We booked ferry crossing to Caen in June and am armed with All the Aires book and ACSI card with no definite plans where we are going.
Aud & Mike - you've clearly studied well as you've got exactly the right attitude to motorhoming in France - you'll love it!
Welcome, by the way!
Bill

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
image.jpg

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Very big :welc: from the New Forest, can I ask is that Aud as in Forbes Hamilton Aud...... Griff

OP
OP
tufty
May 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome!! I'm so FILTHY rich that We have both!......................................................(and both are very old)..................:)
Sounds perfect!!! We had an overlap of about 6 months & haven't ruled out getting another. Not yet though, need more time to be able to use it!!!.... Oh and an injection of cash! :)

OP
OP
tufty
May 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2006
Very big :welc: from the New Forest, can I ask is that Aud as in Forbes Hamilton Aud...... Griff
::bigsmile:::bigsmile: that's a new one. Usually people think it's Roberts but you are obviously not a Corrie fan.....and much more discerning ::bigsmile:::bigsmile: actually was named after Audrey Hepburn... Mother clearly had high expectations for me ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
tufty
May 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2006
But don't forget drink-drive. And better not to park by feel.
Ah yes one big difference there.... Always enjoyed a glass of wine or a beer whilst cruising along... I suppose I could leave all the driving to Mike ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sounds perfect!!! We had an overlap of about 6 months & haven't ruled out getting another. Not yet though, need more time to be able to use it!!!.... Oh and an injection of cash! :)
Well, we have owned our 50' narrow for 25 years now.......We just cant bare the thought of parting with her, and so, a cheepo Hymer for us, but still as enjoyable then spending 70 k on one. (y)

OP
OP
tufty
May 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2006
Hi and welcome from Somerset. I will be picking your brains as to the best canals to visit ( In the MoHo) so get your memories working!!! :giggler:
We were moored in Worcester so been all round the canals in the Midlands & the Avon & Severn - Birmingham Stratford Warwick.... We know a lot of pubs!:wine:

OP
OP
tufty
May 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2006
Well, we have owned our 50' narrow for 25 years now.......We just cant bare the thought of parting with her, and so, a cheepo Hymer for us, but still as enjoyable then spending 70 k on one. (y)
Wow 25 years that's amazing... You can't let her go now. We were so sorry to see ours go. Mike used to stay on Boris when he was working during the week and grown up children used it to crash after a night out!! So many brilliant memories of holidays too. We bought a new Hymer last year. It's only 6m and narrow... ideal for us... I do like to find roads with grass down the middle!! ..... When I'm not driving that is!:D

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We were moored in Worcester so been all round the canals in the Midlands & the Avon & Severn - Birmingham Stratford Warwick.... We know a lot of pubs!:wine:

Hi both. Just sent you a PM.
Enjoy your new adventures.
Thanks. Pete

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Wow 25 years that's amazing... You can't let her go now. We were so sorry to see ours go. Mike used to stay on Boris when he was working during the week and grown up children used it to crash after a night out!! So many brilliant memories of holidays too. We bought a new Hymer last year. It's only 6m and narrow... ideal for us... I do like to find roads with grass down the middle!! ..... When I'm not driving that is!:D
We enjoy the MH, but to be honest, waking up on the boat, or sitting on the towpath watching the sun set, irreplaceable.......Until she gets so old her three cylinder Lister refuses to run. :cry::cry:

OP
OP
tufty
May 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2006
We enjoy the MH, but to be honest, waking up on the boat, or sitting on the towpath watching the sun set, irreplaceable.......Until she gets so old her three cylinder Lister refuses to run. :cry::cry:
Yep happy days afloat! even the traffic jams at the locks were enjoyable... Always someone to help or chat to.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back