Does Anyone Understand These New Tv 'boxes' (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Mobie Dazzle Amlogic S805- Quad Core Cortex-A5 1.5GHz Android KitKat 4.4 OS XBMC Streaming HD TV Box Player

All the above is double Dutch to me so can someone please explain what it means, how it can replace the skybox, and will it work in Spain?

I have been told it must be loaded with 'showbox' ?!

Thanks, in anticipation.

Ginny

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It won't replace your Sky box. That isn't what it's for.
All it does is lets you stream TV and media over the internet so BBC iPlayer, Netflix and things like that. If you're a Sky subscriber it may or may not (I would guess not) let you access SkyGo. It's reliant on a decent WiFi connection and it won't give you access to anything that you can't already get on your laptop or tablet.
Will it work outside the UK? The box itself will work anywhere but because it works by accessing websites and streaming from them what you can actually watch will vary in the same way it does if you just use your tablet or laptop. SkyGo for example is only available in the UK & Ireland. Some of the others detect where you are and stop you watching as well. I don't have a definitive list of what works where though. Someone else might?
If you take a laptop or tablet with you then you don't need one of these - you will just be replicating kit. You just need the correct lead to connect to your TV. If you don't take anything like that then this thing is OK as far as it goes, I would say no better or worse than any of the hundreds of similar items available.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks, we were told this device was the newest innovation, with new movies and live streamed sport.

Ginny

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I know someone who has a similar thing, some sort of smart android box but can't remember actual name. This person is able to watch newly released films on his TV through an internet connection and the quality of most of the films is extremely good. He can also watch live sports but the quality of these are not that good.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks, we were told this device was the newest innovation, with new movies and live streamed sport.

Ginny

Ask whoever told you that exactly what channels it's streaming? The most you will get is the equivalent to Freeview so entirely possibly some movies and some sport. It may give you access to some subscription based services like Sky or Netflix but you will still have to subscribe to them. There's no possible legal way to get these services for free. The only way I can think of to stream Sky is via SkyGo and I don't see how that can be included on something like this because it won't usually allow you to connect to an external monitor.

The only thing different about this one is it appears to have an Android OS which may give you access to a few more apps but if you only want to watch TV is completely irrelevant

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If it's accessing some of the foreign websites that do the illegal streaming then that's at your own risk. Personally I wouldn't bother as the quality is usually awful.

Deleted User
Have to say that my friend gets good quality films without any subscription.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Ginny..
Save your cash..

I have had one of the Android boxes for some time but now there is.. !!!

Amazon fire stick... !! £35. Argos etc.
However you need to get it "loaded" with an app called XBMC / Kodi to watch "free" films and tv series.

As mentioned they "hack" into online feed's inc movies and sport.
If you want something legal or even 100% reliable then it's maybe not for you. Needs a good internet connection and the feeds/connections can dissapear as fast as they are made available.
As "techie" as I used to be I just leave it all to my son now to sort out while I just sit and watch :)

Ref Fire stick and the legal content, I am finding it really good on BBC iplayer and Netflix....Better than my smart tv....

Some of the "Illegal" content is a mix of very good and even HD quality but some is obvious cinema rip off and vey poor, like old days of video copying.

Deleted User
I assume that the streaming of films is illegal but not illegal to watch them.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Also if you don't have a reliable WiFi connection it won't do anything.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

I am not sure on the legal definition but certainly the online streaming is not a legal way to obtain the films etc... and can not be relied on.. Streams get closed down all the time, often do not work and can even cut off 1/2 way through a film.. !!!
and yes, without an internet connection it's useless as even the legal content like iplayer need a connection...

Android boxes tend to have both a wired ethernet connection and wifi, the fire stick is only wifi.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Ginny....
No good for mobile use... It needs a good steady braodband connection.. Something your not going to guarantee on a campsite and if you try via a mifi or mobile you will eat data at a very high rate. !!!!

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Mobie Dazzle Amlogic S805- Quad Core Cortex-A5 1.5GHz Android KitKat 4.4 OS XBMC Streaming HD TV Box Player
All the above is double Dutch to me so can someone please explain what it means, how it can replace the skybox, and will it work in Spain?
I have been told it must be loaded with 'showbox' ?!
Thanks, in anticipation.
Ginny
XBMC (X Box Media Centre) is now called Kodi.
It is some software that is popularly used as a "portal" to online streams.
It is available on PCs and Android boxes.
It relies on "repos" that contain links to the streams.
Finding working streams can take some time.
You can se it anywhere where you have decent internet.

If you're a Sky subscriber it may or may not (I would guess not) let you access SkyGo.
Sky Go is not, I think, available on XBMC.

SkyGo for example is only available in the UK & Ireland. Some of the others detect where you are and stop you watching as well. I don't have a definitive list of what works where though. Someone else might?
Direct access to the UK TV broadcasters online content will be blocked if you try to access them directly from outside the UK.
They check the IP address of the connections.
Using a VPN or SmartDNS service allows the user to bypass this, by "faking it" that they are connecting from within the UK.

XBMC does not have this issue, as most of the content come from third parties, not direct from the broadcasters.

If you take a laptop or tablet with you then you don't need one of these - you will just be replicating kit. You just need the correct lead to connect to your TV. If you don't take anything like that then this thing is OK as far as it goes, I would say no better or worse than any of the hundreds of similar items available.
Corretc - if your laptop has a HDMI output, then connect it to your HDMI input on the TV, load up XBMC / Kodi on the laptop, and watch on the Tv screen. No need for a separate android box.

"newest innovation" - streaming tv has been around for ages, as has streaming pay tv content so it is nothing new.

... and the quality of most of the films is extremely good. He can also watch live sports but the quality of these are not that good.
The movies are stored on a server for easy access - so quality will be good.
Live TV is harder to do, so the quality can and will drop - some football matches I have seen are spot the player, let alone spot the ball...the quality is so bad.

Ask whoever told you that exactly what channels it's streaming? The most you will get is the equivalent to Freeview so entirely possibly some movies and some sport. It may give you access to some subscription based services like Sky or Netflix but you will still have to subscribe to them.
Just about all free to air, and most pay tv channels (Sky ay channels) are available on XBMC / Kodi, without subscription. Mainly as these streams are stolen...ie read piracy!

Have to say that my friend gets good quality films without any subscription.
In the same way you can download movies from a torrent site - nothing new...

As mentioned they "hack" into online feed's inc movies and sport.
If you want something legal or even 100% reliable then it's maybe not for you. Needs a good internet connection and the feeds/connections can dissapear as fast as they are made available.
Some of the "Illegal" content is a mix of very good and even HD quality but some is obvious cinema rip off and vey poor, like old days of video copying.
Couldn't agree more!

in theory the user could be deemed to be in receipt of stolen goods...?
That is the way some countries are starting to crack down on this and satellite tv cardsharing...

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I use AV Stream on my Galaxy Tab S tablet (about £6.00 from Amazon, one off payment). I can watch all football games, other sports, tv,including BT Sky and Freeview plus films and other stuff. I found it brilliant in Marocco as the data cards were cheap for my MiFI and I watched a whole Man U game for about 1/2 a Gig. If I attach it to my TV at Home I can also see all of this on my TV for nothing. It was sold to me in the UK and is popular amongst Android users. I've herad they produce a usb type box for your TV at around £40. but have not been able to find one so far.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
XBMC (X Box Media Centre) is now called Kodi.
It is some software that is popularly used as a "portal" to online streams.
It is available on PCs and Android boxes.
It relies on "repos" that contain links to the streams.
Finding working streams can take some time.
You can se it anywhere where you have decent internet.

Well I think I know a little more about this now, enough not to waste my money or any more time researching the little black box!

Thanks everybody,

Ginny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back