Hymer Net Curtians.. Removing For Washing ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Does anyone know how to remove the net curtains for washing ?

Sounds easy, but we have both tried and don't want to snap the gliders ..and they can't be pulled off the end, no space.. .. ..there must be a knack to it..

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Oh there is indeed a knack I found it involved doing my neck in and losing several finger nails.
Only way I could do it was to put fingers at top of curtain and roll it off the hooks, leaving hooks in place. Then there's the joy of doing this in reverse to get them back on( even harder)
Whoever designed them is a sadist.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
thanks @Hollyberry

maybe explains why they badly need washing.. I suggested doing them in place with a bucket ... :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On both the Hymer's we have had you can un-hook them from the slider or just pull the slider out, if fact they usually pull out when you don't want them too.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Think I have it sussed.. they work like a safety pin

I'm passing this info on to my cleaning lady :D

$%28KGrHqF,%21k0E6BgqnBg,BOgs5EJD-%21%7E%7E60_12.JPG

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
That's it - or you can remove the sliders from the track first if that makes it easier. There is a plastic stop that clicks into a square 'widening' of the track and that is where the runners will come out of the track.
Here is the item:
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@JeanLuc

Thanks Phillip.. just been out and taken them all down .. easy peasy when you know how.. (y)

would never have found that little stop that allows them to come out of the track..

great info.. cheers (y)

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
They're much easier to get off than to put back! It's a bit awkward with the wall cupboards above the track so that you have to contort yourself to see what you're doing.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
The air in the van was blue when I tried! They are a bugger to take down, but the satisfaction of seeing a sink full of black water is reward enough.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
P.s I soaked mine in some warm water and oxy clean, then a gentle wash in the machine, came out beautifully...Mr mousy then decided he didn't like nets and they wouldn't be going back in the van!

Extra hooks available on eBay.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
They're much easier to get off than to put back! It's a bit awkward with the wall cupboards above the track so that you have to contort yourself to see what you're doing.

Just lie on your back and think of England!

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I found the nets in a bag when I brought mine,............couldn't see for the life of me how -or where to e-attach, so havn't bothered.............

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Just saw this thread and I agree that they are easy to remove from the rail once you find out how.
They washed up a treat and were also easily ironed, curtains also, and yes I did put them back up.
Norman.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
never put back on, no use for anything

I disagree... most continental vans have them, they help stop the sun fading the soft furnishings.. they also provide a degree of privacy, particularly on busy aires, without shutting out the light.. you can also curtain twitch :whistle:

I soaked the nets in a large bucket in lukewarm water and one cup of white vinegar... after a couple of hours the water was black..then washed in a normal 40c machine wash.. they have come up whiter than white .. :D

Washed the curtains, in a dedicates 30c wash cycle. (Hymer say dry clean only ) they have also come up lovey and clean.. the machine water was dark grey ..

I think re-hanging will be a fiddle job.. but well worth it to have them look like new..:)

Yesterday I cleaned all the upholstery using a Vax .. (Beck's assured us it would be given a full valet before we took delivery .. my ar$e .. a wipe over with a damp sponge more like.. :rolleyes: )
It was also filthy , the water was black after just cleaning the two captains chairs.. it now looks lovely and fresh.,.. and smells clean..

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm passing this info on to my cleaning lady :D
I soaked the nets in a large bucket in lukewarm water and one cup of white vinegar... after a couple of hours the water was black..then washed in a normal 40c machine wash.. they have come up whiter than white .. :D
Been promoted and got in touch with your feminine side have you? :whistle::D

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I've only just seen your thread Jim, and as others posted, easy to get the nets off, but a bu##er to get them back on again. I was a wee bit concerned that the weights in the bottom hem, might react to washing, not knowing what they were made from, but no problems. I had visions of brown rusty marks appearing on the white nets. :doh:

Rita also washed the grey cab shut off curtain, and the pleated insulated bedroom shut off crtain, and they both came up great.
We wouldn't be without the nets, and I only open those which assist my side (LHD) and rear views whilst driving. At all other times, they are closed.

I'm looking forward to seeing your new "passion wagon" Jim, and comparing notes. (y)

Cheers for now,

Jock.

P.S. Have you got yourself a spare water pump yet, as the plastic impeller shafts do give up after a few years. This is about the cheapest, but doesn't include shipping costs.
http://www.elyboatchandlers.com/inline-submersible-water-pumps/reich-19l-twin-submersible-water-pump

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
P.S. Have you got yourself a spare water pump yet, as the plastic impeller shafts do give up after a few years. This is about the cheapest, but doesn't include shipping costs.
http://www.elyboatchandlers.com/inline-submersible-water-pumps/reich-19l-twin-submersible-water-pump

Hi Jock... yes , I bought a Reich from Marcle Leisure and fitted it, whilst doing so found a brand new spare pump on top of the tank.. :LOL: so two spares now..

On a different topic.. .. the toilet flush is a bit feeble.. hardly goes round the bowl.. I read you had a similar issue, did you find the problem .. dirty vacuum breaker or is there a filter.. and if so, how did you access it .. ?

Cheers..

PS.. no weights in our curtains.. we must have the budget Hymer.. :LOL:

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
[QUOTE="ScotJimland, post: 1397792, member: 15

On another problem.. I read you had a similar issue, the toilet flush is a bit feeble.. hardly goes round the bowl.. did you find the problem .. dirty vacuum breaker or is there a filter.. and if so, how did you access it .. ?

Cheers..

PS.. no weights in our curtains.. we must have the budget Hymer.. :LOL:[/QUOTE]

My curtains are weightless too - cue spacey music .....
Keep me posted if you find out more re the loo flush. I have the same problem, and it's driving me nuts!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
PS.. no weights in our curtains.. we must have the budget Hymer.. :LOL:
My curtains are weightless too
Sorry chaps/chapesses, but if you gather the hem in your hand, you will feel the weights. They appear to be a fine ball link chain.

Re the poor toilet flush, I changed the wires over on the pump connection, which appeared to do the trick, but when I replaced the water pump, I changed them back again, and have not had a problem since. After a really harsh winter a few years ago though, (minus 15 degrees) I had to replace the electric valve (solenoid) underneath the swivel toilet bowl, as it was the only thing that hadn't drained off. It kept syphoning the water from the fresh tank, and filling up the bowl overnight. Maybe that was related to the original slow flush problem. I'll never know. ;)

BTW, if your toilet flush is the last in the line, and going slow, it could be an indication that the pump is slowing down/getting worn. The best flush appears to be when the batteries voltages are at their peak. Try it when on EHU or solar charging, and then again when off EHU or no solar charge.

Cheers,

Jock.

Reactions: Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back