Duvalay Worth It ? Or Not? (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Before we spend a fortune on a couple of duvalay "wraps" are they worth it ? Comfort wise, sleep wise?
We had our first weekend away in "Pug" , granted we weren't , at all , ready but it was great. We got a good feel of him.
I had my first drive from thompsons fish and chip shop on the A1 to the antique centre in Pickering where we had a night with Bob and Val ( weekenders) . He drives like a car, very easy , hard to believe he's an xlwb van. He's now got 200 miles on the clock !

Anyway, Terry very kindly lent us a couple of lengths of firm foam , to sleep on.
We took some huge sleeping bags ( meant for the morbidly obese , the bloke in the camping shop told us ) so we wouldn't feel restricted. But we did. We ended up using them as a quilt instead.
The Foam Terry lent us was great to sit on, but too hard to sleep on. We'd like to go firm , when we take Pug to Regal Furnishings, because it stops the fabric on the bases sagging too. Keeping the upholstery looking nice.
I know the memory foam toppers are great as we've had them before. But we like the idea of having the quilt and topper together.

Do you think they are worth the cash. Do they take up less space , than a single quilt and a memory foam topper would , are they easier to store because of the holding bag?
Anyone who have them , we'd be grateful of your opinion.
Thanks.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I love them have had two for more than 7 years.
They are bulky for storage.
Maybe they have improved them but there is a cold spit at your feet.
However they are still the best memory foam on the market IMO.

Mel

P.s.
You can always pop in the factory see Liz and ask her to show you them.
They used to be called Raskelf.
Great firm and very helpfull.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We bought a couple when we had the U Shaped lounge in the old van. Used them as singles on the sofas and left them on all day. On the odd occasion we made up the double they were just as comfy and warm. :whistle: Not sure I'd want to keep putting them away every morning in the van. We use our own duvets on the new fixed bed as there's no need of the topper element. Handy in the house when we have extra guests.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Like Bailey58 had we have a u-shaped lounge and just unroll the Duvulays each night and use them as singles. Storage could be a faff but we have the overcab pod which takes the rolled up Duvulays and pillows.
During spring/autumn we put an extra duvet inside so it's very snug, just take one of them out for summer use. The inconvenience of setting up and packing away the Duvulays is easily offset by the comfort. Probably our best buy for the MH, or at least close to the best.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
If you have someone handy with a sewing machine, make your own. I won't argue that they are comfortable, but yes they are bulky to store (even the 2.5cm with a 4.5 tog quilt - the thinnest combination), are they worth the money, no! Can you make a 4.5 tog duvet (about £7 from poundstretchers), a foam topper (£50 for top quality, a lot less for less quality) two kingsize sheets and a couple of zips equal £120, I doubt it.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Very comfortable but as meor said, there is a lack of covering for your toes, I add a light blanket over the bottom in the winter.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
The ones we've been looking at are actually a double pack. Winter and summer weight quilt , with the thicker memory foam mattress and a carry bag to squish it into.
We would store them under the U shape lounge , bench seats.
We've decided against the cab blinds so we've saved a bob or too from not getting those.
If we didn't have duvalays we'd have 2 single quilts and a sheet to store. Plus if we went for the firm foam when we get the upholstery done , which we are 90% certain to go for, we'd need a topper too. So we may actually save space getting the duvalay?

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Before we spend a fortune on a couple of duvalay "wraps" are they worth it ? Comfort wise, sleep wise?
We had our first weekend away in "Pug" , granted we weren't , at all , ready but it was great. We got a good feel of him.
I had my first drive from thompsons fish and chip shop on the A1 to the antique centre in Pickering where we had a night with Bob and Val ( weekenders) . He drives like a car, very easy , hard to believe he's an xlwb van. He's now got 200 miles on the clock !

Anyway, Terry very kindly lent us a couple of lengths of firm foam , to sleep on.
We took some huge sleeping bags ( meant for the morbidly obese , the bloke in the camping shop told us ) so we wouldn't feel restricted. But we did. We ended up using them as a quilt instead.
The Foam Terry lent us was great to sit on, but too hard to sleep on. We'd like to go firm , when we take Pug to Regal Furnishings, because it stops the fabric on the bases sagging too. Keeping the upholstery looking nice.
I know the memory foam toppers are great as we've had them before. But we like the idea of having the quilt and topper together.

Do you think they are worth the cash. Do they take up less space , than a single quilt and a memory foam topper would , are they easier to store because of the holding bag?
Thanks.

Whether they are worth it or not is a personal thing. We love ours and think they are worth every penny we spent on them. Yes they are bulky when rolled up but both fit under the offside bench seat which is approx 6ft long. It has the boiler and some heat ducting etc in there also. looks like that space was purpose built for them ;). At bedtime when I take the dog out, my wife makes up the beds, it's not a problem. In the morning, we can have them rolled up into the large storage bag and put away in minutes. They are cosy, comfortable and have loads of room. I agree with the thin areas around the bottom but if you are cold, put a pair of socks on (y)

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Just to add
I know many truck drivers that use these and sleep at least 4 nights a week in there truck.
So they cant be that bad.

Mel

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Bev, we had exactly the kit you discriped. Here's our view.

Pros...

Very comfortable topper part.
no duvet slipping off the bed.

Cons...

Really bulky to store, we gave up and left them open on the bench seats with a throw over them in the day.
Sheets quite scratchy, but we've been spoilt as we have a trillion thread count at home!
No great difference between the summer or winter duvet thickness wise. Didn't bother changing over, just had the throw in winter if cold.
If you want to put them together to sleep as a double they are awful...topper goes together but the duvets overlap in the middle, try imagining sleeping under 2 single duvets, you are both under the join.
A bugger to wash as you have to take both the topper and the duvet out, they can't be tumble dried either.

Bev are you always planning on sleeping as 2 singles?
In the end I made a separate removable cover for the topper, left that unrolled on the bench seats and used the duvet in a normal single quilt cover, which we stored easily in the van.
Then if we wanted to use the beds as a double, the toppers just went next to each other and we used the 2 quilts horizontally so no gap, see what I mean?!

I

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
They are no smaller to store than a topper and a duvet, just because they are joined together they don't get smaller! Once in the bag about the size of a large kitchen bin.

As to price, it's worth every penny to be comfortable and sleep well.

However, you could make your own cheaper by sewing 2 single duvets together down a long and short edge.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
It's down to personal taste. We looked at them but decided that the price wasn't right. Instead we bought a 4 season super king size duvet and 2 covers - the type that come as 2 duvets that fasten together. When it's cold we use the thin one underneath and the thick one on top and vice versa when it's warm.

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have them, but I am a bit of a wriggler in bed which can make them a bit uncomfortable as the mattress piece gets all mangled up.

Motorhome Muppets

Free Member
Dec 1, 2014
Nr Uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Bev, we had exactly the kit you discriped. Here's our view.

Pros...

Very comfortable topper part.
no duvet slipping off the bed.

Cons...

Really bulky to store, we gave up and left them open on the bench seats with a throw over them in the day.
Sheets quite scratchy, but we've been spoilt as we have a trillion thread count at home!
No great difference between the summer or winter duvet thickness wise. Didn't bother changing over, just had the throw in winter if cold.
If you want to put them together to sleep as a double they are awful...topper goes together but the duvets overlap in the middle, try imagining sleeping under 2 single duvets, you are both under the join.
A bugger to wash as you have to take both the topper and the duvet out, they can't be tumble dried either.

In the end I made a separate removable cover for the topper, left that unrolled on the bench seats and used the duvet in a normal single quilt cover, which we stored easily in the van.
Then if we wanted to use the beds as a double, the toppers just went next to each other and we used the 2 quilts horizontally so no gap, see what I mean?!

I

If you leave them open on the seats, does this have any affect on the topper - does it squash it?

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We have Duvalay mattress toppers (gold) & they are very good - especially when bought in their sale :)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp

I

Yes, mousy, we are planning on having 2 permanent singles. We've not made the Pug with an optional double.
Ralphs a wriggler and a snorer , Chris , too.
I'm a light sleeper .
I slept like a log in Whitby this weekend . So did Ralph. No restless leg syndrome etc.
It wasn't the booze !
I thought it would be weird having single beds. But your only a foot away , from each other.

So when there's rumpy pumpy going on it will have to be a ,
" now go back to your own bed and pull your vest down ." job !;):rofl:

We will also have the webasto heating fitted soon , so I doubt , with all the insulation Ralphs put in , that we will get cold feet.
Though the winter quilt should save us having to have the heating so high.
The bed base only has the wheel arch in it.
So plenty room, Ralphs fixing on Insulated underslung tanks. I don't fancy keeping the duvalays out all the time.
We don't do throws.
I think I'll get Ralph to order some tonight. We like the cappuccino colour to blend with our upholstery fabric choice the best. As long as people think they are a good product, we can warrant the cost.
Thanks for everyone's opinions . It's a yes. ::bigsmile:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Just a thought
Could you get regal to make seats reversible with one side firm for day use and flip over cushions for a softer side for sleeping on

Don't laugh I ain't recovered yet from dragging our Izzi up and down them bloody steps and hills

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Hahah. Those hills and steps are a killer , aren't they Peter !
Good idea, about the seats. But it's another thing to do before crashing on a night time. The idea of the duvalay is as ABZ Steve says, I can get the duvalays out and throw them on the bench , while Ralphs walking Buster . Nice and easy.

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
I looked at them and can't see £200 no matter hard I try. Instead, in our U Shaped lounge we prefer a 30 quid memory foam topper, a fleecy blanket throw to lie on (used as a sofa throw during the day)another fleecy blanket on top (the other sofa throw) and then a normal king size duvet kept on the over cab bed on top. Easy storage, comfy as hell, snuggly warm even when it's snowing and at a fraction of the price. The duvulay things look like a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. I'm as bad as everyone else buying things I think I might 'need' but don't really but I draw the line when they start costing as much as this.

signworks

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
There based in cleckheaton go round they have showroom try before you buy and they can make them to your requirements
Happy travels build looks brilliant keep photos coming

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Much to expensive IMHO. A good quality duvet folds up easier, stores better, and costs much less. :)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
You go for it then Bev, but wash the covers a few times to soften them(y)

And I'm not convinced you will need both summer and winter duvets.

I've noticed they have a sale, not sure when the next one is though?

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
@signworks
Ralphs in Pug tonight again. Sorting out the plumbing and electrics to the wet room. With being away over the last few days he's not done anything worth photographing. But he'll be at it this weekend and there maybe some progress , to report. We've ordered a lovely work surface for the kitchen area.
It's finally ready. So if he can get someone to cut it ,( it's that resin stuff that looks like granite) he daren't risk it.
Who knows the cooker and sink may be going in next.
I'll remember to wash the duvalay covers a few times and use softener. It may soften them up.
@Mousy
Ralph saw a good deal where you get both winter /summer quilts , and a bag for a discounted price, so we may as well get both.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Hi R n B,
We have had duvalays for five years now, we have the 4.5 cm mattress and the summer tog, they are very comfortable and we use the mattresses on our bed at home when not motorhoming.
We can leave them on our electric bed so storage is no problem, of course you know how much space they take up when packed in their bags so that is your only decision to make if you are thinking about purchasing them.
Good luck
Etap

denzil

Free Member
Oct 23, 2009
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Nov 2009
Hi Bev
We have just put our duvalays back in the camper tonight ready! We bought them over 5 years ago and the kids had the memory foam on their beds after we sold the previous motorhome so they have been in use every day for at least 4 years and they are just as firm and comfy now as when we bought them. I think they are expensive but have been worth every penny. Now back in the camper I bought new memory foam toppers for kids beds at home and they are rubbish in comparison. You get what you pay for!!! We love them. Glad to hear a good time was had at Whitby.
Btw there is someone near us who cuts work tops if you struggle to find anyone local. We have just had a new kitchen and had curved cupboards so he cut curved work surface for us. Doorsandtops.co.uk. Sounds like the pug is coming along well
Denise

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Thanks Denise . We're going to get some we've decided. Good to hear the girls have used yours daily for years.
As for the work surface , Ralph will ask at the place where we ordered it. There's bound to be someone they know who's got a good reputation , to cut it.
It's that Corian. Not the normal kitchen work surface . Or he'd have a go.
We've had It made to size but need the sink and cooker Area cutting out. It was expensive so Ralph daren't try to cut it. I've told him he cut holes in a brand new Peugeot van . The Corian should be a doddle.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Thanks.

Regal will fit memory foam on top of the foam in your cushions,,,had my sofa cushions done there like that,,,very comfy,,,BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back