Jun 19, 2008
Peterlee
Funster No
MH
a class old mod
Exp
not long
Hi, all,
I have just put the batteris back in the Laika (Talbot 2.5D) and started it up for the first time this year but after a roar into life it stalled and on a second go it was slugish then nothing.
I tried again, the heater light comes on but when i turn it just gives one click. I checked the batteries They read 12.85 v and the Head lights fair. I checked the main power to the starter ok. The starter was fitted new last year.
Anyone have an idear about this as this is my weak spot.
Thanks hope someone will help.
Rod

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

If the batteries are fully charged which they appear to be from your readings, albeit have you charged the batteries up before you put them back in the vehicle, if you hadn't then it may be worth putting them on charge again just to confirm they are fully charged

If they are fully charged and the starter still just clicks when you try to start then I would suggest that its possible that the starter has got stuck on the flywheel ring gear, sometimes a firm tap on the side used to free them albeit don't hit it to hard or you could damage it.

As for it starting and then stopping and then running badly the second time it could be that there is some fuel starvation to the pump, once you have sorted out the starter and get it to turn over, you may need to perhaps bleed the fuel system, have you replaced the fuel filter recently as that needs to be done every year or 2 and it may also be worth checking if there is any water in the bottom of the filter, you can do that at the same time as changing it.

Hope that helps, I am sure other people with more knowledge than me will provide some more advice

Hi, all,
I have just put the batteris back in the Laika (Talbot 2.5D) and started it up for the first time this year but after a roar into life it stalled and on a second go it was slugish then nothing.
I tried again, the heater light comes on but when i turn it just gives one click. I checked the batteries They read 12.85 v and the Head lights fair. I checked the main power to the starter ok. The starter was fitted new last year.
Anyone have an idear about this as this is my weak spot.
Thanks hope someone will help.
Rod

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could also be a bad engine earth.
run a jumplead from the battery neg post to the engine block then try.

safest way to free a jammed starter is 3rd/4th gear and push back and forth.....not an easy job when it weighs 3500kg but if its proper jammed then hitting it wont free it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Had similar on one of my cars last year and it was a fuse that had gone.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi, all,
I tried again, the heater light comes on but when i turn it just gives one click.
If your cable connections are all sound and ok on both battery terminals and starter.....then i'd go for starter motor problem. Mine packed in recently with exactly what you describe. Fortunately it turned out to be just the solenoid which needed replacing.

Also check if you have a relay down.

OP
OP
smartie59

smartie59

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
Peterlee
Funster No
MH
a class old mod
Exp
not long
If it is the starter solenoid it isn't a year old yet. The batteries have been off on charge at home over the winter.One of the three was u/s, it was replaced with a 95 ah battery.I may swop them over and look at the wire from the ignition.I will also check the earth wire If that fails I will take the starter back to the shop to be checked.
I hate wires!!!!!!!!!!!!
By the way pappajohn 3500kg plus soft ground and a 60 year old charles atlas I an't, joke!!!!!!!!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
By the way pappajohn 3500kg plus soft ground and a 60 year old charles atlas I an't, joke!!!!!!!!!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:yeah!!! i know what you mean.....didnt realise you where on grass/soft :Doh:i was thinking more along the llines of a few mates/neighbours to help..

doesnt take much movement though:thumb:

Last edited:

cater_racer

Free Member
Oct 15, 2008
Chester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Get someone to read the vehicle battery voltage as you operate the starter, beware of moving parts!

The voltage should drop to about 10v while the starter moter is turning.

But it sounds like you have a bad connection to the battery. I'd say almost certainly the battery connectors are not making good contact.

Good luck!

OP
OP
smartie59

smartie59

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
Peterlee
Funster No
MH
a class old mod
Exp
not long
Well guys I put a new battery on and found connection wire loose and it made no differance !. It was windy and cold today so I gave up.Next time i go i will take off the starter and try it with jumpers and see if it turns.
I am in the AA with home start and wonder if they still would go to my storage site ?
I think a Jammed starter or fault in the starter is looking the best bet.Heres to a warmer day.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well guys I put a new battery on and found connection wire loose and it made no differance !. It was windy and cold today so I gave up.Next time i go i will take off the starter and try it with jumpers and see if it turns.
I am in the AA with home start and wonder if they still would go to my storage site ?
I think a Jammed starter or fault in the starter is looking the best bet.Heres to a warmer day.

if you take the starter off to try it make sure you have it well held down. stand on it or hold it in a vice by the mounting lugs.

they start with one hell of a kick and if not held down could do you some damage :Eeek:

OP
OP
smartie59

smartie59

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
Peterlee
Funster No
MH
a class old mod
Exp
not long
Hi guys back again after removing the starter and taking it back to get checked out.The starter looks brand new but is solid no rotation and the years up on it .I will be lucky if it has started 40 times as it was layed up early in July.it is a lucas unit so much for that at a cost of £121.00 I will visit the scrap yard next may get lucky .
rod

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back