Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
PhilandMena submitted a new Showcase Item:

Broken Link Removed

After the hustle and bustle of Marrakech we headed for Taghazout. Not quite sure what to expect as this was our first trip but feeling confident after breaking away from group after first night crossing and going solo for 3 days in Marrakech.
What a stunning place this turned out to be. Right next to a beach and only 2€ a night, collected by the guardians each evening. We loved it here, it was so relaxing and many, many other like minded people from european countries were here too. Each day an army of service people would come to the sight offering their services. Fish (to die for), bread, fruit, vegetables, water, solar panels, gas bottles/refills and not forgetting the famous artist Rasheed.
We visited the town on a number of occasions to buy from the supermarkets, restaurants etc or for some light exercise.
We were also joined by many of the group we have crossed with and warms friendships began to blossom.
Our plan was to stay for at least a month but we (and I mean everybody) were told to leave due to development work to take place on the site and so the next morning along with a whole lot of other motorhomes we left site.
I guess we were lucky to get two weeks here before being kicked off and who knows next year there may well be similar arrangements in place not to far away.

Broken Link Removed

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Not sure if your talking about the same area but if you are then its odd as the authorities ( Police/Army) moved an estimated thousand MH off one of the Taghazout 'dirt plains' January/February this year we were not surprised especially when we heard that many of the freeloader's there were dumping their Toilet and waste water in bushes, cant image the potential health rise especially where children are involved.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
A
Not sure if your talking about the same area but if you are then its odd as the authorities ( Police/Army) moved an estimated thousand MH off one of the Taghazout 'dirt plains' January/February this year we were not surprised especially when we heard that many of the freeloader's there were dumping their Toilet and waste water in bushes, cant image the potential health rise especially where children are involved.
Are you the guy who slagged off the site upon arrival and them left saying it was an ethiopian refugee camp site, or words to that effect. Quite a few Funsters were annoyed at that remark as it was unfounded and may have put off a lot of first timers contemplating visiting morocco for the first time.
The general feeling was and which I support now is, if you have nothing positive to say then keep your comments to yourself. Your doing more harm than good.
Not sure what you mean by free loaders ! to the best of my knowledge everybody paid the guardian , as did we, every night. They kept a list and this was checked against every motorhome on site so I don't see how many if any avoided paying.
As for emptying cassette's in bushes I must admit on the morning that everyone had to vacate the site I saw one French man empty his cassette in a bush by his motorhome. On all other occasions the designated waste points was used by all campers, to the best of my knowledge.
Also, as a matter of accuracy there were not 1000s of Motorhomes evacuated form the camping area. You were not there and your figure is clearly exaggerated.
Clearly you have an axe to grind and once again you have popped up to slag of the Taghazout camping area that so many other motorhomers have enjoyed over many years.
Get over it man and move on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
No, I am certainly not the person who called it the Ethiopian refugee camp site, but even so, arguably the title is a reasonable description of what was no more than a dirty filthy site.
If you care to research the Morocco 2015 Thread you will find who did, secondly you must be completely delusional if you thought that the so called guardian's actually had any link to the local authorities the only area where there are vehicle parking attendants ( guardians ) is the motor vehicle park off the seafront at Agadir..the list you refer to is their own list so they, can make sure no one not paying them!! this incidentally was also told to us by a Moroccan guide at Tarforte where there appears to be a similar situation.
As this was our first MH trip to Morocco we were guided by our team advisor too the Taghazout site who had used the dirt plain on a previous occasion, it became the collective thought that we would stay there 2-3 nights, however we soon realised from what we observed what was going on there and questioned why anyone would want to stay there, we became totally disgusted how free loader's were treating the land with disdain..... we moved the next morning to the camp site 'Parc Atlantic', my wife and I had the same opinion about what we had seen and we predicted what would happen there.
I stand by the term known as free loaders, if you feel offended by this term which was not actually targeted at you specifically I can only think that your conscience is something you need re visit and 'get over man and move on'.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
its odd as the authorities ( Police/Army) moved an estimated thousand MH off

If I remember correctly this was due to developing the land opposite as a resort, with a visit by the King. So moved for financial reasons.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If I remember correctly this was due to developing the land opposite as a resort, with a visit by the King. So moved for financial reasons.
Although that was one of the rumour's going on at the time Brian it turns out there is a huge development of hotels being built and according to Busman Dave the details and plans are available on the internet.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
No, I am certainly not the person who called it the Ethiopian refugee camp site, but even so, arguably the title is a reasonable description of what was no more than a dirty filthy site.
If you care to research the Morocco 2015 Thread you will find who did, secondly you must be completely delusional if you thought that the so called guardian's actually had any link to the local authorities the only area where there are vehicle parking attendants ( guardians ) is the motor vehicle park off the seafront at Agadir..the list you refer to is their own list so they, can make sure no one not paying them!! this incidentally was also told to us by a Moroccan guide at Tarforte where there appears to be a similar situation.
As this was our first MH trip to Morocco we were guided by our team advisor too the Taghazout site who had used the dirt plain on a previous occasion, it became the collective thought that we would stay there 2-3 nights, however we soon realised from what we observed what was going on there and questioned why anyone would want to stay there, we became totally disgusted how free loader's were treating the land with disdain..... we moved the next morning to the camp site 'Parc Atlantic', my wife and I had the same opinion about what we had seen and we predicted what would happen there.
I stand by the term known as free loaders, if you feel offended by this term which was not actually targeted at you specifically I can only think that your conscience is something you need re visit and 'get over man and move on'.
Oh Dear! You paid a shed load of money to do what many funsters do for do for themselves. Why didn't you join our group and come with us for free. You could have easily moved onto another site if you did not like Taghazout.
I sense some sour grapes here ! Your also wrong to assume what I think and I never said anything in my post about the relationship between the Guardians and local authorities. Someone has been filling your head full of shite me ole fruit pastel.
Take a chill pill Oh Please!

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
QUOTE="mentaliss, post: 1396923, member: 23535"]No, I am certainly not the person who called it the Ethiopian refugee camp site, but even so, arguably the title is a reasonable description of what was no more than a dirty filthy site.
I stand by the term known as free loaders, if you feel offended by this term which was not actually targeted at you specifically I can only think that your conscience is something you need re visit and 'get over man and move on'.[/QUOTE]
Sound like a jobs worth to me. But you entitled to your opinion. However, employment in morocco is not plentiful and people have to exist by their own efforts as there is little social assistance, the campers paid them to supply many services which they did very well and with a SMILE. As regards being a dirty plain I suggest you clean your spec's and remember their income has now been drastically reduced. I look forward to some finding a NEW Tagazoute. :cheers:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
PLEASE, PLEASE folks, don't get into a slanging match. I've just been told about this thread and at first I found the photo gallery. To say it brought back hundreds of lovely memories would be an understatement - wish we were still there.

But then I started reading the thread, and it quite took the wind out of my sails.

LOOK. Everybody has their own opinion, and I will fight to the death to protect their right to say it, even if I disagree with it. But this sort of back-biting just, as Phil has said, spoils it for everybody. I've never yet used the forum tools to ignore people or threads, but I'm so disappointed that's where I'm going next.

Lets have an end to it. NOW. This is supposed to be Motorhome FUN.

Terry

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I do like to get the facts correct.
Having spoken to mentaliss in Morocco, one of the reasons that they needed to go to a campsite was to charge laptops etc, as they did not have any solar panels.
They are fully entitled to their viewpoint, but it came across as unnecessarily terse.
it is a shame as a group of funsters together, we had a fab time there, and a good laugh, queue moroccans singing and playing 'peggy sue' :)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Are you the guy who slagged off the site upon arrival and them left saying it was an ethiopian refugee camp site, or words to that effect

Careful now Phil, I know what you ex tank commanders can be like when you get angry! Anyhow if memory serves me right I think it was Eamless who made that quote, sorry can't be arsed checking, as I think if it's not his scene then that's ok. My opinion for what it's worth, is it was probably his loss, personally, as one of the refugees and freeloaders who got evicted, I loved it there, had almost two weeks of "freeloading" with some like minded people who made it one of my most memorable "stops" in over 25 years of motorhoming. Phil and Meena, all round good eggs supplying us with interesting conversation and stunning photos, Jeanette and Roncab with there shots, niceness and crazy dancing and hospitality, Busman Dave all round good guy and Internet purloiner (lol), Suggy with his moneysavingexpert skills (say no more) and ethnic musical skills with the local drummers, and his lovely wife Rosie, the divine Lynda who took the trouble to accompany me on her uke, and give me written directions all the way to Taghazoute, her partner in crime, Ken, tambourine player and percussionist par excellence, my own personal human google and tour leader, it was a joy just to follow them all the way through France, Spain and Morocco without having to think of which way to go, TerryL and Brenda for taking the trouble to get us all over there in the first place, Colin and his technical expertise and patience with me, Sue and her voice of reason and tolerance, and all the other refugees and ageing hippies (sorry if I missed you out but I'll be here all night) whose hospitality and camaraderie knew no bounds.

I bloody loved it at Tagazhoute, yes there was a couple of incidents with people dumping there plop in the bushes, (sorry Phil) Mainly French I think (you'll have to ask Ken, lol) but this was soon stopped by the aforementioned, reasoning politely with them to desist, and for anybody that wasn't there, we had group meals in town and on site, group walks, birthday celebrations, musical evenings, chats, dancing, beer o'clock, trips to markets (how many people can you get in a transit van). Sales events on the doorstep etc etc whilst at the same time providing a boost to the local economy.

I have just read a letter in one of the club magazines from a guy who was moaning that the woman mop their showers on club sites more than the men do ( how did he know anyway!) Now I understand how frustrating a wet shower floor must be for some people!! It must be awful getting wet feet when you get in the shower! but for me, I'll have to put up with the occasional turd in the herd and side with the odd "flush in the bush" if it means I can share the fun and frolics, bullsh* t and b*llocks that I experienced at Taghazoute. I only hope that I get the chance to "wet my feet" again. Nuff said!

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in 1997 there was a big display on the ground by the beach at taga. the old king came and we all met him . there was a big marque (tent). a plan of the hotels etc was also on display and a model of the plans .
its been on the cards ever since .
some of the ground was local farmers fields . they were compensated for the loss . fishermans houses were knocked down a few years later ,along with the beach shops cafes etc again compensation was payed . i know a friend was partners in a shop he did very well out of it .
also a nice uk lady elizabeth had a lease for the campsite that wasnt renewed. the local authority ran the camping for awhile .
you have never had to pay for camping outside the camp ground . there have been military protected camping sometimes and for that you payed .
the other guardian parking was unofficial and you didnt have to pay if you didnt want to.
hotels house etc were then knocked down and eventually some of the main taghazout village will possibly be knocked down to make way for the development . there was the model of the plan in agadir atleast 4 years ago in the main council offices .
every one local knows what should be happening , it was unfortunate that the first development stopped when finance companies pulled out.
the last 15yrs as only been a bonus for m,homes in winter and moroccans in summer mind not so many camped in summer in recent years .
yes it can be called a shame its gone . but its been expected .
in 1976 there was only about 10-15 vans all winter on the beach.
surfers used anka point etc but that as camping disappeared several years ago. many of the wild camping areas have gone over the years .just like every other country times have changed ,
but visit have fun . might even get back my self one year.
i got fed up with the changes . but like many have good memories of winters in maroc .

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
in 1976 there was only about 10-15 vans all winter on the beach.
surfers used anka point etc but that as camping disappeared several years ago. many of the wild camping areas have gone over the years .just like every other country times have changed ,
but visit have fun . might even get back my self one year.
i got fed up with the changes . but like many have good memories of winters in maroc .

I was there Alan(y) Winter of 76 till March77
Great times myself and three others;) Dave will remember it also:whistle:
So wish we had got there earlier and saw the place for one last nostalgic time:sick: Just hope Tafroute don't go the same way

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i can remember sleeping on devils rock in a sleeping bag . luckily the sea didnt shoot out where we were.
we went down in a ford thames van with a 1500cc cortina engine in it .
5 of us . surfboards etc . you could fall asleep anywhere in maroc then nobody touched you or took anything . some of the guardians at tagga i met then . rather give them a beer and have a chat than pay.
its amazing how some of the kids from then have done really well one has apartments now he rents out to surfers others have shops etc .
shame sidi kouki has gone the same way .
never mind ,cornwall has changed as well.

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
I was there Alan(y) Winter of 76 till March77
Great times myself and three others;) Dave will remember it also:whistle:
So wish we had got there earlier and saw the place for one last nostalgic time:sick: Just hope Tafroute don't go the same way
. Thats progress for you iremember when thry had the display on the beach about the development all set out nicely king arrived in his helicopter blew it all away chuckle . Its a shame it has changed so much but its good for maroc and the people there . I supose tafroute will go the same way to but hey theres all way another place .:p STAN

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
i can remember sleeping on devils rock in a sleeping bag . luckily the sea didnt shoot out where we were.
we went down in a ford thames van with a 1500cc cortina engine in it .
5 of us . surfboards etc . you could fall asleep anywhere in maroc then nobody touched you or took anything . some of the guardians at tagga i met then . rather give them a beer and have a chat than pay.
its amazing how some of the kids from then have done really well one has apartments now he rents out to surfers others have shops etc .
shame sidi kouki has gone the same way .
never mind ,cornwall has changed as well.
Yes, I was pretty amazed at the Moroccan people, the shepherds would be found everywhere and I even saw people sleeping by the side of the road. Amazing people with a genuine fondness towards visitors, even when they knew there was no sale going to take place.

Dec 23, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Atoutrial tracker
Exp
Since 2004
I agree with all the "positive " comments on this thread : Ron and I had only planned a month through Morroco to visit as many places as we could. However on reaching Tagazoute and spending some time there, we loved the place and the company of fellow Funsters so much, we stayed for 2 fabulous weeks. Reluctantly, along with Anne & Brian, we had to make our journey home in order to take in other places of interest. Lucky for us, but sadly for our Tagazoute comrades who were moved on the following morning. We do regret not joining them at Tafroute, the mountains, dessert etc but on a positive note we will remember those two weeks for the rest of our lives. Especially the "Fun" people we now consider life long friends and who we hope to meet at future events this year. We saw Terry, Colin, Brenda and Tina at Peterborough : looking good guys ! Ron couldn't resist telling them that it was their turn to get the bread in the morning......... happy days ! Hope to see as many of you Funsters as poss in Southport, We'll have the shots ready !

Dec 23, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Atoutrial tracker
Exp
Since 2004
Lovel
Careful now Phil, I know what you ex tank commanders can be like when you get angry! Anyhow if memory serves me right I think it was Eamless who made that quote, sorry can't be arsed checking, as I think if it's not his scene then that's ok. My opinion for what it's worth, is it was probably his loss, personally, as one of the refugees and freeloaders who got evicted, I loved it there, had almost two weeks of "freeloading" with some like minded people who made it one of my most memorable "stops" in over 25 years of motorhoming. Phil and Meena, all round good eggs supplying us with interesting conversation and stunning photos, Jeanette and Roncab with there shots, niceness and crazy dancing and hospitality, Busman Dave all round good guy and Internet purloiner (lol), Suggy with his moneysavingexpert skills (say no more) and ethnic musical skills with the local drummers, and his lovely wife Rosie, the divine Lynda who took the trouble to accompany me on her uke, and give me written directions all the way to Taghazoute, her partner in crime, Ken, tambourine player and percussionist par excellence, my own personal human google and tour leader, it was a joy just to follow them all the way through France, Spain and Morocco without having to think of which way to go, TerryL and Brenda for taking the trouble to get us all over there in the first place, Colin and his technical expertise and patience with me, Sue and her voice of reason and tolerance, and all the other refugees and ageing hippies (sorry if I missed you out but I'll be here all night) whose hospitality and camaraderie knew no bounds.

I bloody loved it at Tagazhoute, yes there was a couple of incidents with people dumping there plop in the bushes, (sorry Phil) Mainly French I think (you'll have to ask Ken, lol) but this was soon stopped by the aforementioned, reasoning politely with them to desist, and for anybody that wasn't there, we had group meals in town and on site, group walks, birthday celebrations, musical evenings, chats, dancing, beer o'clock, trips to markets (how many people can you get in a transit van). Sales events on the doorstep etc etc whilst at the same time providing a boost to the local economy.

I have just read a letter in one of the club magazines from a guy who was moaning that the woman mop their showers on club sites more than the men do ( how did he know anyway!) Now I understand how frustrating a wet shower floor must be for some people!! It must be awful getting wet feet when you get in the shower! but for me, I'll have to put up with the occasional turd in the herd and side with the odd "flush in the bush" if it means I can share the fun and frolics, bullsh* t and b*llocks that I experienced at Taghazoute. I only hope that I get the chance to "wet my feet" again. Nuff said!
Lovely comments about us all Phil. Nice of you to mention us all by name. Lovely memories and thanks for your kind contribution of cakes !

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Lovel

Lovely comments about us all Phil. Nice of you to mention us all by name. Lovely memories and thanks for your kind contribution of cakes !
See forgot me already! It's Simon dear.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Lovel

Ha! Ha! You remembered! You lovely Man.
Our best wishes to you both, we too loved being in your company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back