Beam benders anyone??? (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Can anyone help with information regards Beam Benders for the New Fiat / Peugeot cab?
We are doing the European thing in May so need to keep the boys off our backs. I would appreciate a photgraph of headlights fitted with the benders and where to purchase them.
Many Thanks All,
Wiljoy

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Halfords HERE instructions come with them, used them the last two years.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
read the instructions carefully......where it says 'thoroughly clean the head lights' do exactly that or they will fall off.
wash with soapy water and dry fully...

i lost one somewhere in the first 20 miles.:Blush:

worth taking some electrical tape as an emergency fix if you do loose one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Hi
The "beam benders" from halfords are NOT suitable for new ducato. Suggest you fit headlight protectors from Fiat, they come with beam benders and are marked for position. Also protect lights from damaged from stones.

Steles

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
instructions come with them, used them the last two years.:thumb:

Are you saying that the precise position to place then on the headlamp is there for every vehicle?????

I found that with my Renault Master I was left to find the exact position myself, by trial and error.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Are you saying that the precise position to place then on the headlamp is there for every vehicle?????

I found that with my Renault Master I was left to find the exact position myself, by trial and error.

Not sure if is every vehicle but the list is very long and the new Ducato is listed.

Steles I Can't see why you say they are not suitable . Mine went on, stayed on and came off easily both times I used them.

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Can anyone help with information regards Beam Benders for the New Fiat / Peugeot cab?
We are doing the European thing in May so need to keep the boys off our backs. I would appreciate a photgraph of headlights fitted with the benders and where to purchase them.
Many Thanks All,
Wiljoy
Save your money and use insulating tape instead which will stay stuck on until you peel it off. Plus you will do both lights for less than one penny!

I bought some last year though certainly didn't pay £8 for them! No matter how well you clean the lens, they will fall off unless you super glue the damn things.

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Diabalo

It would appear that i stand to be corrected
When we were parked at the docks last December two motorhomers were trying to fit the Halfords beam benders to their New Ducatos with no sucess. The shape required as detailed on my Fiat headlamp protectors was very different to that of the Halford model and the position hard to find.
It is of course not necessary to fit Fiat protectors, at the docks we just made a template from mine out or Black duck tape and fixed in the correct place.
If as you say the Halfords version now covers New Ducato It would be of advantage to all.
Perhaps a photo showing a set fitted.

Steles

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I got headlamp protectors and fitted them, they came with black out adhesive and the area to cover is clearly marked on them.

Rgds
Bill

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Save your money and use insulating tape instead which will stay stuck on until you peel it off. Plus you will do both lights for less than one penny!

I bought some last year though certainly didn't pay £8 for them! No matter how well you clean the lens, they will fall off unless you super glue the damn things.

I once posted that advice and got jumped on: "Black tape will cause heat build up which will destroy the plastic lens."

Now it was reasonably logical so I did not argue. No problem with glass lenses of course.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
My Halfords benders didnt come off in fact the glue is stiil stuck on to the headlamps.

I stuck them on at the ferryport after watching other inmates having a go on theirs.

I reckon I put them in the wrong place but by that time I thought oh well Ive had a go, only to find that I had a headlamp bulb down. No spare (The Halfords pack is a waste of time). Coudnt source a spare whilst I was away. In the end I learned to forget thinking about it.

It will be the tape for me next time :RollEyes:

Jim :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I once posted that advice and got jumped on: "Black tape will cause heat build up which will destroy the plastic lens."

Now it was reasonably logical so I did not argue. No problem with glass lenses of course.
If a plastic lens cant take heat then its pretty much crap in the first place. Personally i think thats a bit of scaremongering talk but still.

I have 100w halogens and just tape direct on the glass lens.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
So's mine - 9 months since I removed them. I'm tempted to just use the outline to stick on duct tape.

You are correct the glue does not come off with the beam bender, but it is easily removed with warm water and washing up liquid. Not sure if you will have the same success now as it's been on a while.

I would rather spend £8 than get an on the spot fine or melt the lenses, but hey ho each to their own.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If a plastic lens cant take heat then its pretty much crap in the first place. Personally i think thats a bit of scaremongering talk but still.

I have 100w halogens and just tape direct on the glass lens.

Oooooh! naughty naughty,

the max allowed by law is 60w, but then....who's gonna check?:thumb:::bigsmile:

my burgman scoot has twin headlights.....35/35w in one side and 55/60w in the other....mot, no probs.

Last edited:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Which costs zilch and does the same job.....except much better!

Be careful as the glue gets extremely hot and can cause the modern plastic headlamp covers to craze - very expensive. This has been well covered in may of the forums for vehicles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back